Varejao to the Bobcats

wholesale store
laugh.gif

never a dull day on NT

Wait, they're offering him almost $16m? Wow.

There is no way the Cavs are going to match that. And they shouldn't.

I still can't believe he asked for $52m - albeit for twice as long a term.

Why isn't Walter Hermann getting off the bench? The Bobcats cannot rebound for +!$*. They have to be the worst rebounding team in the league.

Varejao gets dogged because of that ridiculous contract demand of 11 mil per, but he's a solid PER performer. Lebron will miss him the most. Varejao doeswhat the Bobcats need. He rebounds, plays defense, and sets screens.

Link

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Cavaliers have week to match Bobcats' offer sheet[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 4, 2007, 2:20 PM ET

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- In need of a big man, the Charlotte Bobcats reached agreement Tuesday on a three-year offer sheet with Cleveland restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, giving the Cavaliers a week to match the deal or lose him.

3847.jpg

Varejao
A source close to the Cavs told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan that Cleveland plans to match the offer sheet, meaning Varajao should be back in a Cavs uniform toward the end of this week. ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported the offer sheet is worth $17.4 million, which would fit the Bobcats' mid-level salary cap exception. According to ESPN.com's Chad Ford, the offer sheet includes an opt-out clause after year two, meaning Varejao could become a free agent again in the summer of 2009.
Varejao's agent, Dan Fegan, could not immediately be reached.

The 6-foot-10 Varejao has been in a prolonged contract dispute with the Cavaliers, who had offered him a deal worth approximately $20 million over three years.
"I wanted to come back," Varejao told Ford last week. "I love the fans and I really love my teammates. But there are others there that have made it very difficult. It's gotten to the point that I don't want to play there anymore. I'm just hoping for a sign-and-trade at this point."
The 25-year-old Varejao averaged 6.8 points and 6.7 rebounds last season in helping the Cavaliers reach the NBA finals for the first time.
Cavs GM Danny Ferry told Ford last week that the team still wants Varejao back.
"We fully understand that negotiations can be emotional," Ferry said. "As for Anderson's potential to remain a Cavalier and put this behind us, we value his presence in this organization, on and off the court, and that has not changed."

Bobcats coach Sam Vincent has been pleading for a big man since the beginning of the season. The Bobcats lost Sean May to season-ending knee surgery in training camp.

Starting center Primoz Brezec has been ineffective and was replaced in the starting lineup by rookie Jared Dudley Monday night in Toronto, the Bobcats' sixth straight loss.

Before training camp opened, Varejao turned down Cleveland's one-year, $1.2 million qualifying offer. If he had signed that deal, the former second-round pick could have become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

In late October, the Cavaliers rejected a six-year, $52 million package presented by Fegan.

The sides last spoke over the weekend and were considering having another meeting, but Bobcats then stepped in with their offer sheet and Varejao's side decided to sign it.

Varejao is known for his energy and defense, and the move comes a day after Vincent questioned his team's focus and preparation following the 98-79 loss to the Raptors.

The Bobcats, with 15 guaranteed contracts, would have to release a player to add Varejao if the Cavaliers don't match the offer.

^Varejao is a restricted free agent, so any offer that a team puts out there, the Cavs can equal and will keep him.

Why cavs, why? just let the bum go. even 16.7 mil for 3 yrs is a lot for this bum. I can't believe this guy thinks he's worth a 10 mil per year. Iknow he brought some good things to cleveland last yr (not much though) but he's not worth it at this point. Just let him go to Bobcats so LBJ can dunk onhis sorry++%* when they play each other.

I was listening to the radio earlier today and got the full scoop.

The Bobcats have no plans to have Varejao on the team. The offer sheet they tendered was done as a favor to AV's agent Dan Fegan. The Bobcats offer (fromthe Charlotte observer) was:
The Bobcats figure to be offering the mid-level exception, which represents a first-year salary of $5.36 million this season. A player signing for the mid-level must sign for a minimum of three years, but the player can get an opt-out, making him an unrestricted free agent after two seasons.
According to that same source the Cavs intend to match the offer. Apparently this was done to get AV in uniform. (My comment: ?).

Summary: Anderson Varejao and his agent Dan Fegan held out for 18 games for LESS MONEY
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I haven't seen this type of negotiating skills since George Costanza held out for LESS money to do a television program for NBC.

Frankly, the Bobcats or any other team can have Andy.

Where is Ididit? Is Fegan still a great agent?
roll.gif

Fegan looks really bad no matter how this situation resolves itself. The best case scenario keeps AV in a Cavs uniform. The Cavs need him. Believe it.

I said at the end of last season that I thought AV's Cavs numbers put him in the 5-7 mil per category. The more years added the lesser the annual salary. Ithink the Cavs were looking to book three year deals for AV and Pavlovic, but that was probably what was holding both players back. They want years, guaranteedyears.

From the Charlotte Observer

So what's all this about?

An educated guess: Varejao wants to become an unrestricted free agent as soon as possible. The Cavaliers wanted to lock him up for longer than two years at anaffordable price. The two sides can't come to a compromise.

So Varejao's agent, Dan Fegan, forced the issue by contacting the Bobcats. Charlotte general manager Rod Higgins has a history with Fegan. His former team,the Golden State Warriors, signed Fegan clients Troy Murphy and Jason Richardson to big contracts. Then the Bobcats acquired Richardson.

And this summer, the Bobcats successfully re-signed another Fegan client, Matt Carroll.

Varejao would certainly address the Bobcats' immediate need for help inside. He's an energy guy and a rugged rebounder.

But the chances of the Bobcats actually acquiring Varejao appear remote. At best, this likely becomes a favor for an agent and an effort to show the fan basethat the front office is trying to do something about the lack of depth among big men.

Link : http://www.charlotte.com/sports_breaking/story/390439.html

Link

Source: Cavaliers Will Match Offer For Varejao
December 4, 2007 - 2:29 pm
Varejao_Anderson_cle.jpg
Beacon-Journal -
Anderson Varejao soon will be a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers again.

According to a source close to Varejao, he has signed an offer sheet with the Charlotte Bobcats worth $11.3 million over the next two seasons with an option for a third season that could make the deal worth $17.4 million. The Cavs have not received the offer sheet, but team sources said they probably will match the offer on the restricted free agent.

The Bobcats used their $5.3 million mid-level exception to sign Varejao, so that's what the Cavs would pay him this season. Varejao signed the deal Monday in Charlotte and is expected to fly to the Los Angeles headquarters of his agent, Dan Fegan, today.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom