Vancouver Canucks owner sets sights on buying the Hornets

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Owner Of Canucks Hoping To Purchase Hornets, Move Club To Vancouver[/h3]
Feb 15, 2011 22:10 PM EST

Paul_Chris_noh_091208.jpg

Canucks Sports and Entertainment chairman Francesco Aquilini has been looking for five years a franchise that can be purchased and moved to Vancouver.

Sources say Aquilini is looking into the Hornets, who are currently owned by the NBA.

During an interview this week, commissioner David Stern said Vancouver is one of several markets interested in a relocated NBA franchise.

Stern listed Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and Tampa/St. Petersburg as markets with NBA-ready facilities. Vancouver’s Rogers Arena, owned by the Canucks, would qualify as well.

“I have regrets about both Seattle and Vancouver,

[h3][/h3]

Canucks Sports and Entertainment chairman Francesco Aquilini has been looking for five years a franchise that can be purchased and moved to Vancouver.

Sources say Aquilini is looking into the Hornets, who are currently owned by the NBA.

During an interview this week, commissioner David Stern said Vancouver is one of several markets interested in a relocated NBA franchise.

Stern listed Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and Tampa/St. Petersburg as markets with NBA-ready facilities. Vancouver’s Rogers Arena, owned by the Canucks, would qualify as well.

Originally Posted by Ground King

[h3][/h3]

Originally Posted by Ground King

[h3][/h3]

That would be huge...I've been saying the Kings should move up to Vancouver.

Great city all around. Such a high quality of life. Probably my favorite place next to Tokyo. Seeing first hand how much support they show the Canucks, and even the UFC when it was in town, the NBA NEEDS to get back there. Hilarious/sad to think of the Kings arena woes, and then look at that sweet Rogers Arena smack dab in the middle of a metropolis.

That would be huge...I've been saying the Kings should move up to Vancouver.

Great city all around. Such a high quality of life. Probably my favorite place next to Tokyo. Seeing first hand how much support they show the Canucks, and even the UFC when it was in town, the NBA NEEDS to get back there. Hilarious/sad to think of the Kings arena woes, and then look at that sweet Rogers Arena smack dab in the middle of a metropolis.

These fools are about to go back up there, get a good 2 or 3 seasons of popularity, then the city will stop caring and they'll get moved again or contracted.

Grizzlies.

These fools are about to go back up there, get a good 2 or 3 seasons of popularity, then the city will stop caring and they'll get moved again or contracted.

Grizzlies.

People really have some misconceptions about what really went down in Vancouver. The team leaving wasn't the result of fan support as much as you think. The team had strong support for the first few years, but terrible management, terrible picks, and a terrible team did them in, as well as a evil new owner.

Look at these season records.

2000-01Vancouver2359.280
1999-00Vancouver2260.268
1998-99 *Vancouver842.160
1997-98Vancouver1963.232
1996-97Vancouver1468.171
1995-96Vancouver1567.183

I mean just look at that, you want a new team, in a new basketball market to build up fan support with that? And you'd think with terrible seasons you'd get great picks, but management picks were awful.
But even with that, the fan support was there. It had one of the best attendance for a non-playoff team.

When the new owner bought the team he had only one intention, to move the team. Whether the support was there or not.

There is a large basketball market in the west coast of Canada. You should see the basketball fans and support when the Steve Nash charity game comes to Vancouver. I think Vancouver or Seattle will have the strongest support for a basketball team.

People really have some misconceptions about what really went down in Vancouver. The team leaving wasn't the result of fan support as much as you think. The team had strong support for the first few years, but terrible management, terrible picks, and a terrible team did them in, as well as a evil new owner.

2000-01Vancouver2359.280
1999-00Vancouver2260.268
1997-98Vancouver1963.232
1996-97Vancouver1468.171
1995-96Vancouver1567.183

I mean just look at that, you want a new team, in a new basketball market to build up fan support with that? And you'd think with terrible seasons you'd get great picks, but management picks were awful.
But even with that, the fan support was there. It had one of the best attendance for a non-playoff team.

When the new owner bought the team he had only one intention, to move the team. Whether the support was there or not.

There is a large basketball market in the west coast of Canada. You should see the basketball fans and support when the Steve Nash charity game comes to Vancouver. I think Vancouver or Seattle will have the strongest support for a basketball team.

Originally Posted by kash55

2000-01Vancouver2359.280
1999-00Vancouver2260.268
1997-98Vancouver1963.232
1996-97Vancouver1468.171
1995-96Vancouver1567.183

QFT

2000-01Vancouver2359.280
1999-00Vancouver2260.268
1997-98Vancouver1963.232
1996-97Vancouver1468.171
1995-96Vancouver1567.183

QFT

Hope it finally happens, I think the city is less sour now and will support the team. But it does bring back some bad memories of that swindling piece of #+%% Michael Heisley. 

I was courtside at the last Grizzlies home game against Houston, still one of my favourite sporting memories. It'd be awesome to buy some season tickets now that I can finally afford them.

Hope it finally happens, I think the city is less sour now and will support the team. But it does bring back some bad memories of that swindling piece of #+%% Michael Heisley. 

I was courtside at the last Grizzlies home game against Houston, still one of my favourite sporting memories. It'd be awesome to buy some season tickets now that I can finally afford them.

I feel you on the fan support, as a Sonics fan. Even though the Sonics had success and whatnot, there's this terrible misconception that fans didn't care. People point to attendance figures, but it's skewed due to the fact KeyArena just wasn't very big. Even when they sold out every game, they never ranked in the Top 15 in attendance because they just didn't have enough seats.

And the Canucks owner will have to compete with Steve Ballmer for a team. If they're putting the team out there for sale to the highest bidder, Ballmer can outbid anyone.

I feel you on the fan support, as a Sonics fan. Even though the Sonics had success and whatnot, there's this terrible misconception that fans didn't care. People point to attendance figures, but it's skewed due to the fact KeyArena just wasn't very big. Even when they sold out every game, they never ranked in the Top 15 in attendance because they just didn't have enough seats.

And the Canucks owner will have to compete with Steve Ballmer for a team. If they're putting the team out there for sale to the highest bidder, Ballmer can outbid anyone.

It wasn't a major fail, people just got tired of all the !%#+ going down. The economy was a different deal at the time and once attendance dipped a little after three terrible seasons, the ownership tried to unload the team with the intention of keeping it in Vancouver. However, all potential buyers wanted to move the team (such as Bill Laurie - St Louis) so the situation dragged out forever and fans stopped wanting to support a horrendous team that was going to move. When Michael Heisley bought the team he claimed it was going to stay in Vancouver and attendance shot back up, even with an awful team. Then Heisley began turning down sponsorship money and reported inflated loses so he could do what he originally intended, move the team out of Vancouver. Attendance plummeted from about January on, I remember going to games that weren't even reaching 10,000. A lot of people wanted to drive the team out of the city by that point. 

Although, I'm not sure if a Vancouver NBA team could be successful in the long run. I mean, how many American players are happy playing in the Pacific Northwest, let alone Canada? Not to mention American television networks do not like it. Vancouver has a lot of basketball fans, but they won't support a Cleveland Cavaliers type team for a decade.

Back
Top Bottom