*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

Melo during the Olympics is such a pleasure to watch. I can't put my finger on it, but his game is far more suited for international play. He's arguably one of the best performers on an international stage.

I don't think we have room on our roster for a token college player anymore.

We didn't have one on 12 or 08, did we? I think the last one was UCONN's Okafor on our bronze 04 team, no?
12-Anthony Davis
08- no one but I dunno if the redeem team had something to do with it.

Melo during the Olympics is such a pleasure to watch. I can't put my finger on it, but his game is far more suited for international play. He's arguably one of the best performers on an international stage.

He is allowed and willing to play off-ball

Oh yeah, Eyebrows. My bad.

But yeah, it definitely seems like the token college player isn't really a thing anymore.

World has caught up too much to waste that spot.

He is allowed and willing to play off-ball

Melo does play off-ball in International play. Very rarely will you see him isolate and jab his defender to death. Actually, he's MORE athletic when he plays international games :lol:

I dont think Boogie is a lock at all. The team will have loads of offensive talent around the 5 and personally I think the last thing they need is a ball dominant center down low. DJ fits better imo. He can pick and roll. Defensive rim protector that dunks when needed is all thats necessary for the teams Center position. Get rebounds and outlet into transition. Basically exactly what he does in LA is what I think fits for team USA. I'd prefer DJ and Drummond and that's it for Center.

Im also hoping that they use CP3's spot on an extra forward.

Curry, Russ, and Irving are locks. Only chance Irving doesnt play is if he rests. I hope he does and we just keep Curry and Russ with the amount of capable point forwards available.
Boogie played last year, and played well. He's maintained an excellent relationship with everyone involved in decision making.

DJ has never made any final roster and he's a straight up inferior player to Boogie.

Boogie is a lock.

melo is a lock. he gets to stop playing in the olympics when he wants 

Paul George still wants to play this summer?

How exactly? The SF position is ridiculously stacked these days. These three SFs are an absolute lock, if they want to play that is:

LeBron
Durant
Kawhi

If they want 4 x SFs on the team, then I guess he'll be there. And that is if he beats Paul George for the spot if PG wants to be on the team in spite of what happened to him the last time. I guess they could also shift some positions and play LeBron at the 4 or one of the others on the 2 or something if they really want Melo on the team.
Loyalty. He's been involved with the program since he came into the NBA over a decade ago & has played EXTREMELY well for the team over the years.

They're absolutely taking Bron, Durant, Kawhi, AND Melo, AND George. 100% locks.

Last edited:
Let's be real here. These guys don't want to play in the Olympics for the love of their country. They want to see some action in the Olympic village :lol:

Last edited:
Melo is an absolute lock. Seniority. Him, Bron, Wade, Cp3 were all going to make it if they chose to play. Those guys (sans cp3) came in with coach k in 04. They're the "Golden Generation".

Besides that....Olympic Melo is very valuable. Even with the other wings. KD, Bron, Melo, PG, Kawhi will ALL make it. Those guys are 3/4's anyway. Versatility.

I can imagine STEPH Putting up a grip of 3s. Especially with the international D being weak on the perimeter. It will be the Serbia game all over again :x

The idea that Melo wont get a spot is laughable.  Glad to see people agree.  

I am sure I am going to be roasted for this one based on the hype he currently has, but give me Melo over Kawhi.  If given the choice, I wouldnt even think twice about it.

We need Boogie/someone with attitude for dirty work to be the 2016 version of Faried from WC..He was a beast

Farried is a sleeper. Since he plays in spurts...the other bigs can't match his offensive rebounding, physicality and energy.

He should've been the MVP of the WC

No Melo for the Olympics.

Opens up a roster spot for someone.

Not sure why, but I am feeling a lot of players are not going to be in RIO for some reason.

Definitely going to be a different looking roster in Rio.

CP3, AD, Blake all confirmed out due to injuries. Melo out for whatever reason. I also would assume that, even if he plays again in the NBA playoffs, Steph is going to opt out of the Olympics due to his recent injury.

Will be interesting to see what LeBron does now that his buddies CP and Melo said they're not playing. I think he'll still go, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't.

This is Canada's year. Let's go Wiggins, Thompson, Joseph, Murray, Olynyk, Nicholson, and Sauce Castillo.

We're not winning. I know. |I

No Melo for the Olympics.

Opens up a roster spot for someone.

Not sure why, but I am feeling a lot of players are not going to be in RIO for some reason.
Yeah, man, it's going to be 2004/1988 again.

Shiny bronzes.

And I said in 2004: I was not a huge Iverson fan, but as people started dropping out left and right, I gave major props to him for his stay on the team, and also for the way he played.

There is no legit comp this summer correct? Can osh confirm

I'm under the impression we can send any combo of the eligible pool and we will win

Yeah, man, it's going to be 2004/1988 again.

Shiny bronzes.

And I said in 2004: I was not a huge Iverson fan, but as people started dropping out left and right, I gave major props to him for his stay on the team, and also for the way he played.

Doubtful. Spain has fallen off a bit and very likely won't have Marc Gasol. That was the weakness for Team USA: the Gasols. France will get their one surprise win over somebody but get run out of the gym by Team USA like they always do. Nobody else is of great concern these days.

Back
Top Bottom