Top 10 US Cultural Tourism Capitals[by city] - Forbes 2009

I guess no one remembered The Alamo....
smh.gif

Originally Posted by minnetrapolis

minneapolis whatup! finally some recognition
pimp.gif

We get recognized all the time. We're up there in literacy and healthy living. I'd rather not be recognized for having a big mall and it's noteven in Minneapolis
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Not surprised by 1 or 2... but SF should be 3. Personally, I think the SF Bay Area has way more to offer culture-wise than LA but I can understand why people would consider it at 2. I don't agree at all with #3-9 being above SF though.

yep. Wth. Btw, do they mean DC or Washington state?

I believe SF should be #3 as well.

Remember this is based on Culture, Chinatown, the Mission, the Sunset, North Beach, it is literally one huge melting pot of different races, nationalities andcultures in a small area. Plus the Bay area as a whole has some of the largest populations of different nationalities in some cities( Fremont has afghan, SanJose has Vietnamese, and I'm sure daly city has largest filipino population)

but I can't talk down on the other cities but I do believe SF should be #3, only other cities that I can see maybe being equal is Boston and DC.

To determine America's top cities for cultural tourism, we measured the number of 2008 overnight visitors to each of the 40 largest metropolitan statistical areas in the country, also factoring in the number of cultural institutions--including museums, sports teams, and live theater and concert venues--according to New York-based AOL City Guide, an online database of local businesses, restaurants, cultural institutions and bars. Visitor numbers for 2008 were reported by each metro area's convention and visitors bureau.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
SF Giants and the 49ers. A CRAPLOAD of Museums and restaurants from allover the world. The biggest Chinatown OUTSIDE OF CHINA.

Don't even get me started on the musical venues and concerts. Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta usually get skipped by artists anyways.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

NYC > LA
finally, those cali folk can shut up bout they city....can't wait to get rid of em in da playoffs
pimp.gif

Go check on your sidekick where Orange County is in relation to Los Angeles.

SF should be ranked 2 behind NYC.
People trashing SF probably never been here. The city of SF has so much culture and history. Its the most similar city to NYC.

After really thinking about it, SF actually has a beach and a damn forest within city limits. Eff that culturally SF should be number 2. Forbes probably tookinto account other little cities outside of LA and bunched it together.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Not surprised by 1 or 2... but SF should be 3. Personally, I think the SF Bay Area has way more to offer culture-wise than LA but I can understand why people would consider it at 2. I don't agree at all with #3-9 being above SF though.

I'm LA through and through but I cosign with this statement.

To determine America's top cities for cultural tourism, we measured thenumber of 2008 overnight visitors to each of the 40 largest metropolitan statistical areas in the country, factoring in the number of cultural institutions--including museums, sports teams, and live theater and concert venues--according to New York-based AOL City Guide, an online database of local businesses, restaurants, cultural institutions and bars. Visitor numbers for 2008 were reported by each metro area's convention and visitors bureau.

I've lived in the Bay Area all my life and I've spent more than half my life actually in the city and I still feel like I haven't discovered even aquarter of what the city has to offer. Keep in mind this is all within a 7mi x 7mi box too.
laugh.gif

If you name it, we've probably got it.

BTW, Bay Area heads, for those into seafood, check out Woodhouse Fish Co. on Fillmore. $1 oysters on Tuesdays!

If you include the rest of the surrounding area into the equation, it's #2 and not even debatable in my opinion.

yea wouldnt that mean this list is kinda skewed? NYC has more of those instituions than any other city (most likely) so they would bring in more people.

i still agree its the cultural capital though

Forbes is accurate(at least with the first 5)

NYC is THEE city.

LA comes first to mind for a tourist going to the west coast.

Chicago is the midwestern NYC.

Boston and DC are both historical powerhouses and thriving(tourist enjoy the new england colonial area and the nations capital)

I bid for miami and las vegas to fill the last two spots.

No Miami, Philly, or Las Vegas?

interesting. . .

not even any cities in Hawaii is very surprising.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

To determine America's top cities for cultural tourism, we measured thenumber of 2008 overnight visitors to each of the 40 largest metropolitan statistical areas in the country, factoring in the number of cultural institutions--including museums, sports teams, and live theater and concert venues--according to New York-based AOL City Guide, an online database of local businesses, restaurants, cultural institutions and bars. Visitor numbers for 2008 were reported by each metro area's convention and visitors bureau.

Minneapolis seems like an anomaly among these other cities

Back
Top Bottom