Tony Parker is the third best PG in basketball.

I'm a Spurs fan so you can call me bias or whatever, but TP9 has 3 rings and is damn near unguardable. I'm even gassed that Jalen Rose said thatall-around Paul and D-Will are better, but in terms of being stopped, he's right on par with them in difficulty of being guarded.

Here's an article I wrote for this site called Bleachereport on it:

When people think of the point guard position in the NBA, they think of the popular ones - the Nash's, Paul's, Deron's, and Baron's. But onething all four of those players have in common is that none of them have what Tony Parker has, 3 titles.

The overlooking of Tony Parker over the years as an elite NBA PG might be one of the most egregrious of any player this decade. How is it that Steve Nash,Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, and Baron Davis get mentioned ahead of TP? For one, three of those four players Parker has beaten on his way to a titleconsistently. As for Baron Davis, if your argument is that TP is not a disher, then what is Baron? He barely averages one assist more in his career per gameand he isn't even a better scorer than Parker who's also much more durable.

Since the double-nickel and 10 assist game he put down on the "baby wolves," I immediately flash-backed to the 2008 Western Conference playoffcoverage on TNT during the Spurs-Hornets series. Charles and Kenny were speaking about the emergence of point guards like Deron and Paul and mentioned sixother point guards before they mentioned Parker. I was like: "What the hell does this guy have to do to be mentioned among the best?" He's only26 years old and has three titles already and has been an intregal part of each of them.

I understand anyone saying that Deron and Paul are better than TP. That's not even an argument because they are better all-around players. But, two tothree years ago, when Paul and Deron were out at Illinois and Wake, Parker was the best PG in basketball. Not Steve Nash or Kidd - both were still greatplayers, Nash more than Kidd, but Tony Parker has absolutely shredded Nash in the playoffs and has led his team to victory and in scoring in all three playoffseries between the teams. In the 2003 NBA Finals, Parker did the same to Jason Kidd in the six game series. He was also a Finals MVP and basically broomedLeBron out of the Finals himself.

Flash to now - all the players mentioned may play in bigger media markets and are in the spotlight more often, but that shouldn't be a factor in rankingthe best PG's in basketball. In addition, the Spurs aren't the most loved franchise in basketball and many seem to diminish the accomplishments ofParker because he has Duncan. Like Paul doesn't have West, Nash have Amare, or Deron has Boozer.

In the end, if it comes down to leading your team to titles, TP is the best point guard in basketball. If it comes down to assists per game, he's not evenbetter than Ramon Sessions. But as an overall package, there are only two players on both the offensive and defensive end that are better than him andthat's Paul and Deron. But if you think you can argue anyone after those two being better than a 26 year-old, three ring, could score 50 points if he wantspoint-guard, you're argument's as weak as the Nuggets defense.

You act like D-Will and Paul are defensive wizards. Barea has been way better than expected. Tony Parker is to Devin Harris what Q-Tip is to Kanye. His daddy.

I think as a pure scorer parker is one of the best at the pg position. but as an all-around pg, cp3 nash deron > tp. they can get their teammates involvedand make them better at their respective positions better than tony can. their court vision and finding that open guy is a lot better than what parker hasshown. but as a pure scorer parker is one of the best point guards.

brraptors...I understand what your saying totally. On the assist and getting other people involved level, those 3 are better than Parker in that department. Iconcede that. But, I cannot argue in favor of taking Nash over Parker after D-WILL OR Paul if I was looking to win a title. Maybe it depends on the personnel,but Parker is an unstoppable force after developing that jumper 2 seasons ago.

Everyone gets gassed on 1 season and a half when Parker has been doing this for a while. Does Devin deserve to start in the AS game? Of course. But a betterscorer than Parker? Not yet man. When he faces the tough PG competition night in, out as Parker does in the West Conf and Southwest specifically, talk to me.

It does help his cause of course. Playing with someone like Manu does as well. I won't even front sometimes I think guys like Parker, Calderon, and othersdon't get the added props because they aren't American born either. I ain't trying to take the convo into that direction. But when B Diddy andBillups are mentioned over him, that's ludicrous. Maybe a few years ago when Baron was punking GS or Billups won his ring, but nowhere in the last 2 years.For God's sake, the man was FINALS MVP.

I think you could put any one of those point guards you mentioned with Tim Duncan and they would have won some rings too

Let's wait for Devin Harris to establish a reputation for elite play before we start crowning him to be up there with the elite.

While I don't agree with TP being the third best PG...I can't deny that he can make a legit claim for that title. He's certainly got the resume tojustify it and I am still amazed at how he manages to be dominant at times at getting the basket and scoring in the paint at his size and lack of athleticability.

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

I think you could put any one of those point guards you mentioned with Tim Duncan and they would have won some rings too
and ginobili..

they're called the Big 3 for a reason.

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

that's why he isnt mentioned with the top PG's. Because he wasnt the main role in those championships, he was the 3rd option for most ofthem. sans tha FINALS MVP year

If we're talking strictly about natural talent and ability...then Baron Davis is arguably the best point guard in the NBA

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Originally Posted by Sick Ik 23

Scoring-wise: Devin Harris > Tony Parker.
no. at least not yet
Are you kidding me?
laugh.gif

I can understand an argument as a POINT-GUARD, but Harris has the size, the outside jumper, and the ability to get to the line.

TP is underrated and top 3 in my book. As a spurs fan he hasnt always been my favorite but he has put in a lot of hard work to get where he is today and iappreciate his game/value to the team.

He is unstoppable on fast breaks and developing a nice shot, it is slowly becoming his team.

Some people prefer a pg who can pass and score like cp3 and dwill, tp will never be asked to drop dimes like they can

his roll in the offense is to shoot and penetrate

Back
Top Bottom