Today Illmatic Turns 21

View media item 1498757
Today we celebrate the 21st anniversary of the OLD testament of the Hip Hop Bible.

At this time 21 years ago, hip hop more or less resided on the west coast. The voice of the culture was being solely represented by those on the streets of Los Angeles. When a young man from the Queensbridge Housing Projects used his GOD given ability of penmanship to make what still is the quintessential hip hop album.

View media item 1498802
The importance of Illmatic is hard to grasp for those born in the 90s and beyond, because for the most part they were born INTO hip hop culture. As a proud 80s baby this album will always be near and dear my heart. For one, I'm a hip hop junkie. For two, Nasir Jones is my FAV rapper of ALL time.

Illmatic is important because it singlehandedly takes everything hip hop represented from its inception, up until April 19th of 1994 and personified it in less than 40 minutes. It's the young black man's manifesto of sorts. It's the story of hop hops earliest influence, and all of the problems surrounding the coming of age of one of the cultures brightest stars. From park jams, to project hallways. From park benches to Rikers Island's visiting room, this is the soundtrack to close to 20 years of the streets poetic culture.

View media item 1498812
From the intro which samples 'Wild Style', to the final reminance of the Michael Jackson sample on "It Ain't Hard To Tell" Illmatic is a walk through 1990s New York, in the middle of the crack epidemic, in the epicenter of violence and poverty. It's unapologetic, it's poetic, it's captures the very essence of the culture of Hip Hop.

It's the norm now, but at the time of Illmatic, most rap albums production was handled in house, Illmatic changed that. This was the first album that brought the BEST producers on the east coast and put them on one album. DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Large Professor, and Q-Tip formed a dream team and there's still room for an unknown producer, L.E.S. to shine bright. He would go on to become a frequest collaborator with NaS throughout the 90s and early 2000s.

View media item 1498813
Illmatic paved the way for the Life After Death's & Blueprint's and pretty much every album since then. Beforehand the idea of putting together album with several producers was unheard of maybe because of the crew mentality of the late 80s and 90s, maybe because the budgets being given to rap artists.

So as we celebrate 21 years of Illmatic, "Lemme take trip down 'Memory Lane... Comin outta Queensbridge"

pimp.gif

One of my fav albums ever :smokin

I still aint see Time Is Illmatic yet tho :smh:
Me either
Damn hype beasts took all the tickets for the Bay Area showing and concert
And was reselling for almost double :smh:
I really wanted to go and get my 20th 10th and original copy of illmatic signed :smh:
One day I will

Peace to the greatest poet to grace this earth. He helped shape the mind of yours truly. One love to NaS!!

Such a fresh album even in 2015. I went back and bought it again in 2012, and as recently as earlier this year gave it a listen, and it's basically Verbal Intercourse. Illmatic is an audio novel and when I'm on a binge of Future, Chief Keef, and Migos, this can damn near be a shock to my system :lol:

Another thing, Nas put this out at age 20. I compare this to what other guys put out at age 20, and sometimes I just shake my head and wonder exactly when did it go wrong. I know the general climate is different now than it was 20 years ago, but it's mind-blowing realizing that Nas put this out at age 20, and at age 20, Bow Wow had 'Wanted' and Soulja Boy is putting out "Speakers Goin Hammer".

The original record sampled for The World Is Yours. Salute to Nas, Pete Rock and all of those who were apart of this timeless album. If you want to get right to it 3:48.... but the entire song is beautiful.

Last edited:
my favorite album of all time :pimp:

everything on this album is just perfect... nas' lyricism & story telling, the production lineup, the samples, the features, olu dara's solo, & the overall mix of gritty 90's hip hop mixed with jazz. this album will always be flawless to me.

Favorite track is "One Love". When he acted out the project bench scene in Belly...MIND BLOWN!!!

Wifey & I got to see him at the Cosmo Las Vegas a
couple of months ago...performed Illmatic in its entirety, and ALL of the hits!

Last edited:
"So I rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes, and froze only to blow the herb smoke thru my nose" :pimp:

The imagery provided is second to none.. Love this album..

You just blew my mind too the antihype the antihype as many times as I've heard this song and saw that movie I've never put two and two together. ..just makes the song that much doper

my intellect prevails from a hanging cross with nails, i reinforce the frail, with lyrics that's real

word to Christ, a disciple of streets, trifle on beats, i decipher prophecies through a mic and say peace

Back
Top Bottom