To head back home or stay?

I'm really considering going back home, and leaving the east coast. The job I was previously at back home has opened back up. I don't like this city at all and , I haven't worked for 8 months and have been without health insurance. If it wasn't for my brother having a extremely comfortable living situation here I would have been left. The opportunity to make money again and live in a city were my parents and friends are is tempting. Initially I moved because I was tired of making 43k having now 7 years experience, but the job was extremely easy.

I could have easily worked a second job or a side gig and wouldn't be tired at all. I worked about 3 hours out of a 8 day shift for about 2 years, making 43k. I wanted personal growth and tried living on the east coast. I don't want to feel like I have given up on my dreams and move back but after not working for 8 months and having no leads here is killing me. There doesn't really seem to be a big market in my field out here. The weather is extremely hot during the summer, and I basically had to give up hobbies I really enjoyed living here.

Some positives are the women in the closer city, and diversity of people which I enjoy. Back home there is a lack of diversity but my circle of friends I had, made it cool or tolerable. Apparently government jobs are plenty here but I can't find one to save my life. My brother doesn't want me to struggle with bills like I had to back home which is great, but I have no job and it's lame sitting in the house searching for jobs all day.

Seems like you made up your mind, dont see why you had to make a post bout this?

Originally Posted by 23kidd

Seems like you made up your mind, dont see why you had to make a post bout this?

Yup, you've made the decision, now goooo

so you want to leave B-more and make moves?

there's nothing wrong with that, famb. its not giving up on your dreams.

you went farther than MOST people... you CHASED your dream.

that doesnt mean you have to wake up and stop dreaming...

7 years? how old are you? around 30? come on famb...

you have a lot of life left in you. move home, stack ya paper for a couple years, and try it someowhere else.

you'll have your bread right, and that confidence alone will show whenever you take on your endeavors.

Baltimore is balls. I dont know why u moved there. When most people think moving east they think NYC, Philli, Boston, ATL, DC, and u chose baltimore?

Anyways, good luck in whatever decision you chose.

Thanks for the advice! Just turned 30, and my brother lives here so that's why I move out here. I was also able to pay off my car before I moved so no more car payment. DC is great, but I lived there for 2 years during college. NYC I wouldn't mind but I'm a outdoor type of person. I've applied to jobs in NY but nothing seems to be in the city.

I'd just say stay. You're not in the worst spot with a few major metro areas (philly, nyc, DC) around you to look for work in. 

I assume you stay in a decent part of the city and IMO, being in the city with everything you have in reach is better then being in some middle of nowhere, isolated #$%! hole suburb (if thats where you'd be going back to).

and to the people saying  
sick.gif
Baltimore, there are nice areas and @!#!#$ areas just like any decent-sized city.

Originally Posted by Osek206

Thanks for the advice! Just turned 30, and my brother lives here so that's why I move out here. I was also able to pay off my car before I moved so no more car payment. DC is great, but I lived there for 2 years during college. NYC I wouldn't mind but I'm a outdoor type of person. I've applied to jobs in NY but nothing seems to be in the city.

i've always felt that i have a better chance at a job if someone sees my face.
maybe take a week to head up there and just go to jobs 8-5 for a week.

bring tons a resumes, talk to any and every person you can, whether its a coffee shop or a hotel...

and just hustle.

You may have not been able to find a job in your field in the 8 month time frame, but the DMV area has tons of job openings and places that are hiring.  Sometimes taking any job can lead to putting yourself in the right spot to meet people with connections, etc.  Networking is key to getting that face to face time and the opportunity. 

I'm not that big on Baltimore either and I honestly would prefer to leave this area as the traffic and overpopulation are rediculous.  

But if your gut and opportunity lies back home, no shame in returning to that to reup. 

As soon as you said Gov't jobs are plenty I knew your were talking about Bmore.

You already know what to do....

Back
Top Bottom