This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny, had I started watching footy now I'd never be able to root for RM because they're so out there in popularity, especially having CR7 during the time social media came up.

I picked up FIFA 06 during the WC, it was my first time getting into footy, and got 07 soon after. Started rooting for RM in big part because in 06-07 everyone was on the 'Dinho/Barca bandwagon, so I could never pick the "obvious" choice. I think something about Robinho appeals to fans of basketball/hip-hop culture too, dude was my only "favorite" player I've had. Then you take those factors and combine them with the fact that in a few months time I became a juggernaut on FIFA online, with RM as my best and only team I'd use.

When I started following scores and the table, tuning into Fox Soccer Channel, RM were in fourth place in January and I started really rooting for them. By the end of the season, they had a historic resurgence and finished tops. I honestly had no idea they were the world's biggest club when I started rooting for them.

Last edited:
I also remember trying really hard to forcefully pick an EPL team before rooting for RM. But none ever appealed to me enough and I learned you can't force fandom.

Chelsea since 09, strictly because of Drogba.

USNT because that's the home team but I also tend to root for squads with lots of black players, usually France. I like to see brothers do well :lol:

My father had spent years trying to get me to watch, but FIFA is what did it for me.

Also, I think if there is one thing most of us have in common is our parents aren't from the states/Canada. Lot of first generation cats in here, right?

Last edited:
Think you're right,didn't really notice until now :lol:. Thread is definitely international :lol: :smokin

In silly season news...

@CheGiaevara: Retweeted PremiumSportHD:
Being reported by @PremiumSportHD that Ivan Perisic has chosen to sign for Man United. €45m + bonuses

Well damn,right out of the blue if true. Didn't catch too many Inter games this season so not too sure what too expect

Last edited:

USNT because that's the home team but I also tend to root for squads with lots of black players, usually France. I like to see brothers do well :lol:

My father had spent years trying to get me to watch, but FIFA is what did it for me.

Also, I think if there is one thing most of us have in common is our parents aren't from the states/Canada. Lot of first generation cats in here, right?

I always thought this had A LOT to do with most of us taking an interest in footy.

With a lot of our parents coming from football loving countries, it makes sense.

Perisic is a baller and if that rumor is true, he was one of my favorite players.

As one of the American's in this thread growing up I was kind of a unique case I guess cause unlike some of you neither of my parents are from out the States both, black and families have been in America for generations (cause slavery) so I didn't have that background of having parents from countries that love the sport.

I came into following it and playing on my own because of me trying to expand my interests in life at that point in my youth.

Last edited:
Waiting for a DiMarzio confirmation before getting excited but I wouldn't mind a Croatian on the squad :lol:

Rumor has it Liverpool is spending £50 on Naby Keita. Anyone know anything about him? I don't follow the Bundesliga.

^^Been hearing he's highly rated in Germany for most of the season and even Bayern were linked,didn't catch RB during the season so can't say first hand how he is. Could be the DM Klopp needs though

Dudes game changed after he left Germany

Looks like he can add some width up top given how many of the "wingers" on the squad like to cut and play centrally. Also looks like he's a hard-worker...sounds like a Mou signing :lol:

Could be competition for Tony...

Last edited:
Rumor has it Liverpool is spending £50 on Naby Keita. Anyone know anything about him? I don't follow the Bundesliga.
From what i've heard he has been one of RB Leipzeg's standout players in them finishing second this year apparently a very good all around midfielder box to box type I believe

Go Blues

DA1-wDeXsAICRcn.jpg

Last edited:
The one benefit of having to work today is I have the office to myself. Gonna put the game on the projector :pimp:

I always thought this had A LOT to do with most of us taking an interest in footy.

With a lot of our parents coming from football loving countries, it makes sense.

:pimp: :pimp: never noticed this either. My moms from Chile and dads from Iran. Me and my bro are First generation American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom