THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="lawdog1, post: 33104662, member: 38920"]
If the they this, I hope security is top notch as well. A lot of opportunity for ****ery. Who’s to say a well funded fan might not pay a room service staffer to cough all over Kawhi or Giannis’s food? I would want them to have Secret Service level protection.
[/QUOTE]
Thots from all around the world about to get really good deals on flights/hotels to Vegas and Central Florida
These two posts make you think if they are in a bubble for two months or so, what do the players do that entertain multiple women? Do they try to get them in past security, do they sneak in some type of way? It seems like if they do this, it will be essential team staff and immediate family. Not setup for a carousel of people coming through. You would think with the NBA, being a billion dollar business security would be on point. No one gets in.

Just a thought, a lot of the players are single millionaires. Wonder if that thought has crossed any of their minds.

While there is some logic to having them play in a safe zone, feels like the measures that they would have to take to make this happen would be too draconian for this to play out

Gotta re-invent the game, then re-invent practice and ask for all this to happen organically in a short period of time. I'm cringing just thinking about it

While there is some logic to having them play in a safe zone, feels like the measures that they would have to take to make this happen would be too draconian for this to play out

Gotta re-invent the game, then re-invent practice and ask for all this to happen organically in a short period of time. I'm cringing just thinking about it

It's not that difficult if you consider the fact that if the situation was normal, some of these players would be playing for the US Olympics team under similar circumstances. They would take 1-2 months off their usual lives like they're doing here, live in a dedicated zone (Olympic camp) just like they would be doing here (Disney World, Vegas), etc. Finishing this season in a bubble is completely doable.

The elephant in the room is the next season. We know that we're not getting a vaccine for the next year, by even the most optimistic estimates. And we pretty much know that the situation will not change drastically by then. The number of infected will go down, but not to an extent where you won't risk getting infected if you're in contact with others. So how will they play out the next season? Finishing this season (only playoffs, basically) in a bubble is at least conceivable, but doing so for an entire season is impossible. Even if they shorten it considerably, to 66 games like in 2011-12 or even just 50 games like 1999.

It's not that difficult if you consider the fact that if the situation was normal, some of these players would be playing for the US Olympics team under similar circumstances. They would take 1-2 months off their usual lives like they're doing here, live in a dedicated zone (Olympic camp) just like they would be doing here (Disney World, Vegas), etc. Finishing this season in a bubble is completely doable.

The elephant in the room is the next season. We know that we're not getting a vaccine for the next year, by even the most optimistic estimates. And we pretty much know that the situation will not change drastically by then. The number of infected will go down, but not to an extent where you won't risk getting infected if you're in contact with others. So how will they play out the next season? Finishing this season (only playoffs, basically) in a bubble is at least conceivable, but doing so for an entire season is impossible. Even if they shorten it considerably, to 66 games like in 2011-12 or even just 50 games like 1999.

Idk, the optics can get ugly pretty quickly: If 1 person related to this gets seriously ill then it's likely over immediately and a bad look; if the product looks distasteful in any way, there will likely be blowback for the months of medical resources used to procure this while we're losing about 2000 Americans daily

Don't have to just worry about the whereabouts of the players, they've got to mind the media, on-court/off-court workers, security, announcers etc. And likely their families as well.

History's going to remember how the league responded in the face of a pandemic, I don't know how they can assure that returning can be gaffe-proof and a benefit to all involved

China not even airing the games. The league not gonna make any dough from this. They'll see it's pointless.

Just seems like a massive disaster waiting to happen.

Yes, I know the League thinks the safety precautions out in place will prevent anything from going down but we need one incident for this to be a bad look.

Let somebody have it and the league continues as if nothing happened, again black eye.

I think this is just a bad idea man but I get people have money makers to answer to.

EX3JouQUEAEBPN0

Annotation 2020-05-13 093611.jpg

I can't exactly tell if you guys really believed that or were joking.

this how fake news happens. have some skepticism about things you read on the internet. :lol:

They're going to have to start creating lists by era. No way 20 years from now can you keep putting Bill Russell in the top 5.
It's like Johnny Unitas being in so many top 5 QB lists playing in an era where throwing it down the field more than 5-10 yards was a rarity :lol:

I get trying to make sure most eras and the history of the game are well represented but yea era specific tiers might be a better way of doing these rankings

They're going to have to start creating lists by era. No way 20 years from now can you keep putting Bill Russell in the top 5.

never , because the rules were so different it's hard to retroactively remove someone who dominated under those rules.

we can speculate about other how other players would do, no 3 point line, small lane, strict palming rules.

but in the end Bill Russel did it, so he's always gonna get the benefit of the doubt.

Just seen the NHL commissioner admit he hasn't even contemplated canceling the season, some of these leagues probably feel a similar way but at least they're smart/aware enough of the optics not to say it out loud :lol:

The whole thing I don't get about the push to reopen and how a positive test could derail everything, how are leagues going to be moving forward at all without a vaccine if that's the case? Cause even if they cancel seasons and opt for continuing during a new season, how are they going to work around the sure fact that there's most likely always going to be someone testing positive at one point over the near future?

This thing isn't going to go away at all for the next few years imo so I'm real interested in seeing how the new normal is going to look given that it's going to be something to account for indefinitely.

Personally I think you have specify the rules to determine the GOAT.

It seems impossible to me that any perimeter player would be a better option than a center under 1950s rules.

I’m no scientist, but I was thinking about it this morning and wonder if the bubble concept might actually be less safe than just resuming play in regular regular team arenas, but without fans.

I get that the idea is to keep the people necessary for NBA games isolated from the “rest of the world” in a single location, but that means you’re bringing 100s of people together to live in close proximity in a small, unfamiliar environment. Seems like, under those circumstances, if someone gets COVID, it increases the likelihood it will spread quickly, even if they catch it fast.

Might be better off with regular arenas with reduced staffing. Since teams fly private anyway and would have hotels basically to themselves as visiting teams, travel could be done fairly safely.

Anyway, just thinking out loud (in writing)

Just seen the NHL commissioner admit he hasn't even contemplated canceling the season, some of these leagues probably feel a similar way but at least they're smart/aware enough of the optics not to say it out loud :lol:

The whole thing I don't get about the push to reopen and how a positive test could derail everything, how are leagues going to be moving forward at all without a vaccine if that's the case? Cause even if they cancel seasons and opt for continuing during a new season, how are they going to work around the sure fact that there's most likely always going to be someone testing positive at one point over the near future?

This thing isn't going to go away at all for the next few years imo so I'm real interested in seeing how the new normal is going to look given that it's going to be something to account for indefinitely.

Well the idea is that at least for the NBA,

by giving it more time and not coming back in June / July, you allow yourself to know more about the virus, which in a vacuum is true. We know very little about this deadly virus, and throughout history it's taken more than a few months to gain a solid understanding on something like this.

However, by all accounts there won't be a vaccine for this anytime soon. And the idea that the players would forfeit this season w/o any assurance on the status of next season was always farfetched. Even if you cancelled this season, next season is starting in December without fans and there will be similar risks involved.

I do agree with DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican in that there's some room here for an epic disaster, but sports (and our economy as a whole) just wasn't going to stand idle until society has more info on the virus.

Idk, the optics can get ugly pretty quickly: If 1 person related to this gets seriously ill then it's likely over immediately and a bad look; if the product looks distasteful in any way, there will likely be blowback for the months of medical resources used to procure this while we're losing about 2000 Americans daily

Don't have to just worry about the whereabouts of the players, they've got to mind the media, on-court/off-court workers, security, announcers etc. And likely their families as well.

History's going to remember how the league responded in the face of a pandemic, I don't know how they can assure that returning can be gaffe-proof and a benefit to all involved
Yea for this to work everybody involved in the season, the tv ppl, the refs, families would all have to agree to not leave the bubble.

All it'd take is one person not obeying the rules to screw it up.

I would have everyone test before entering the bubble, then chill in the bubble for a two week period, with proper social distancing, then test again after a two week period and if everyone is negative then start the season.

Only way to safely assure there's no outbreak IF they really wanna finish the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom