THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you imagine Stockton, Hornacek and Mullin flanking the perimeter back in 1997?

Glove, Kemp and Richmond?

Last edited:
Again, I’d be shocked if the NBA didn’t come back and the season was cancelled

too many billionaires involved, too much money potentially lost, too many moving pieces that want it to happen
if season is a new CBA into play & gets worked out the next year for the expected loss of money (I think). and the players def. don't want that

Again, I’d be shocked if the NBA didn’t come back and the season was cancelled

too many billionaires involved, too much money potentially lost, too many moving pieces that want it to happen
Same tbh,especially as more leagues seem to be moving ahead with their preparations and planning for restarts.

Even if it's on a truncated schedule as it'll probably have to be with potentially shorter playoffs, I think the league's gonna try eveything to salvage something from this season after having already completing like 80% of it before everything went on hold.

I feel like the NBA was already going to go to Dec - Aug and this is just the push they needed to do it now. Given that they already know next season is starting in dec, it allows them to not have to finish this season RIGHT NOW. That runway of being able to play into August / September with this season, to me is one of the primary reasons why they're going to pursue finishing this one.

Also, it's hard to sell players on cancelling this season, and have no answers for them in regards to next season. If there's a semi-plausible way of finishing this season, it was always going to happen.

IMO

I feel like the NBA was already going to go to Dec - Aug and this is just the push they needed to do it now. Given that they already know next season is starting in dec, it allows them to not have to finish this season RIGHT NOW. That runway of being able to play into August / September with this season, to me is one of the primary reasons why they're going to pursue finishing this one.

Also, it's hard to sell players on cancelling this season, and have no answers for them in regards to next season. If there's a semi-plausible way of finishing this season, it was always going to happen.

IMO

All valid points which I'm sure is guiding the leagues calculating.

Another angle I hadn't thought of until hearing it earlier is how the NFL is using all the uncertainty surrounding the other leagues to really flex their muscle, or hubris depending on who you ask, and really going after all the attention lost on all these leagues during their stoppage.

They announced that they'll have a high profile game on xmas day for the first time after years of that gentleman's agreement of having it basically belonging to the NBA. I think there's gonna be a lot of pressure on Silver, from the owners and maybe broadcasters too, as a result to get some sort of resolution out to the months of the season they've already completed given all the uncertainty surrounding next season whenever it is.

I say 10-15....You say 16. I could have Steph at 15...and KD at 12. That’s why it’s a range. Personally...I think Steph is in that 12-15 range...and I’m not mad if you slide him lower. That’s what we call reasonable.

And the Definition of COIN flip :lol:. Everything in that tier can switch, depending on what you value. Steph more dominant, and winning player in a shorter period of time with and w/out KD. A weird career arc....but his peak is probably one of the 5 best we’ve seen. With Durant, he was great out the gate...longevity. And classically built up a career in more traditional ways with accolades etc. Depends what you value. It’s a range.

Y’all gotta relax.

He's closer to 20 than 15. While KD is knocking on top 10.

Longevity definitely matters in terms of all time rankings.

Steph flat out ain't touching KD to this point. Stop it.

I always thought this season would be cancelled. It’s a logistical nightmare to resume the season and quarantine players, coaches, arena staff, cleaning crews, food service workers etc.
If there aren't any fans then you won't have most of the arena staff.

Concerns over the older coaches and refs are definitely valid.

my tier list is probably something like

Tier 1: Goats (imo depending on the rules you can make a plausible argument for any one of these dudes as the goat)

Kareem
MJ
Lebron
Russell
Shaq

Tier 2: All time great offense defense isn't good enough to be in the goat convo

Larry
Magic

Tier 3: All time great defense but offense is more important than defense.+ Oscar

Hakeem
Duncan
Oscar

Tier 1: Goats (imo depending on the rules you can make a plausible argument for any one of these dudes as the goat)

Kareem
MJ
Lebron
Russell
Shaq

Tier 2: All time great offense defense isn't good enough to be in the goat convo

Larry
Magic

Tier 3: All time great defense but offense is more important than defense.+ Oscar

Hakeem
Duncan
Oscar

My groupingS would be a little different, but I also like the tier approach to this rather and a straight ranking of all players 1 to whatever.

Hmmm...funny. I think buc em buc em said this exact thing was gonna happen.
A2EBA19C-706E-4BCF-A45A-5AB3865EC8E0.gif

Kareem
MJ
Lebron
Russell
Shaq

Larry
Magic

Hakeem
Duncan
Oscar

Kobe, Steph, KD

If there aren't any fans then you won't have most of the arena staff.

Concerns over the older coaches and refs are definitely valid.

who’s gonna clean the arena and practice facility? Who’s gonna stock the food and drinks for players? Who’s washing their uniforms? Etc

Steph is a tough case for me,

I favor peak performance and Steph's 15-16 might be the greatest offensive season of all time,

but it also feels pretty clear to me that his style of play isn't all that sustainable for super long periods of time.

so how do you weigh those two factors.

Seems fairly easy to keep your distance doing those jobs

Yes but it defeats the purpose of “isolating the players in a bubble” as those workers will be coming and going from who knows where. Unless the plan is for staff to be new wave indentured servants, living in sequestered quarters whilst tending to the players for two months.

Yes but it defeats the purpose of “isolating the players in a bubble” as those workers will be coming and going from who knows where. Unless the plan is for staff to be new wave indentured servants, living in sequestered quarters whilst tending to the players for two months.
I'm pretty sure that is the plan.

and KD is also tough

his talent is goat level to me but I just haven't seen him really deliver like that.

It's like Garnett

I have no doubt that if he switched places with Duncan he'd have the rings. but in the end I saw TD do it so I kind give the edge to TD as opposed to KG hypotheticals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom