THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hide the truth to protect a fairytale for grown men. Sure.
That's not it. I think he did it, BUT it would have such an adverse effect on basketball itself that I don't need confirmation to ever come out. Not about MJ's legacy and the mystique of it at all.

Magic was just on First Take discussing Zeke and John Stockton. Actually pretty insightful.

Talks about how Zeke had a next level that Stockton didn't really have and how he had the ability to be a dominant scorer if it was needed, on top of being able to orchestrate the offense to the highest degree.

INTERESTING

It would be a lot easier to take old timers opinions on Isiah seriously if he was like was like

a dead bang lock all-NBAer or had like lots of top 5 NBA MVP finishes.

but he didn't really.

ANNND if even if you really do believe that Isiah had a higher peak than Stockton, there is no argument that IN 1992...John Stockton was a better player than Isiah Thomas.

I think people totally exaggerate the degree of injustice leaving Isiah off the team was.
Finals MVP, 2x champ, 12x all star, 5x all nba by 92. Larry was washed and made it. Stockton had just made his first conference finals and was not nearly as decorated in 92. It was disrespectful, but Zeke and the Pistons bought that on themselves with their play style.

Finals MVP, 2x champ, 12x all star, 5x all nba by 92. Larry was washed and made it. Stockton had just made his first conference finals and was not nearly as decorated in 92. It was disrespectful, but Zeke and the Pistons bought that on themselves with their play style.

yeah i know he was the lead guard on a very famous team built on depth and defense.

a classic recipe to become overrated.

Im willing to concede to old people, that Isiah was better than Stockton, I wasn't there, it was a lot harder for small guys to be effective back then so im sure he seemed incredible.

but to make it seems like it's inarguable is wild...I just can't make the number stretch that far.

Stockton was better in 92. It's totally reasonable to limit the memorial spots to 1 larry joe bird.

and Isiah being an ******* just made everything even easier. :lol:

yeah i know he was the lead guard on a very famous team built on depth and defense.

a classic recipe to become overrated.

Im willing to concede to old people, that Isiah was better than Stockton, I wasn't there, it was a lot harder for small guys to be effective back then so im sure he seemed incredible.

but to make it seems like it's inarguable is wild...I just can't make the number stretch that far.

Stockton was better in 92. It's totally reasonable to limit the memorial spots to 1 larry joe bird.

and Isiah being an ******* just made everything even easier. :lol:
They speak of Isiah like that because his teams won. Period. The Jazz hadn’t done anything by ‘92 & Stockton played less than anyone on the dream team. It was a political decision, which is the point.

They speak of Isiah like that because his teams won. Period. The Jazz hadn’t done anything by ‘92 & Stockton played less than anyone on the dream team. It was a political decision, which is the point.

yeah i get that and i think are mostly deluding themselves with 80's nostalgia.

my point is any fare assessment of the facts says it's totally reasonable to say we are only gunna have 1 nostalgia spot.

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican @Bend_The_Knee

Saving this for later, knowing it will be good.

You listen to

The Ringer's Bill Simmons is joined by Ryen Russillo to discuss episodes 5 and 6 of ESPN's docuseries 'The Last Dance' (2:40), getting restless in quarantine, all-time NBA teams, the "time-traveling athletes" argument, and more (40:55). Finally they revisit Game 6 of the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals between the Chicago Bulls and the Orlando Magic (1:29:28).

MJ vs. the World, Quarantine Month Three, the 2017 Warriors, and 1995 Magic-Bulls Myths With Ryen Russillo | The Bill Simmons Podcast from The Bill Simmons Podcast | Podbay https://podbay.fm/podcast/1043699613/e/1588567047

Another contrarian take.

No way Stockton deserved the nod over Zeke given their statuses in the game at the time. There was never any doubt that the Dream Team was going to win but you supposed to have the best and biggest stars in the game on the team and a guy who was the face of one of the teams of the 80s gets left off because of bad relationships, that's petty.

And it's not just the old timers, real recognize real.

Saving this for later, knowing it will be good.

You listen to

The Ringer's Bill Simmons is joined by Ryen Russillo to discuss episodes 5 and 6 of ESPN's docuseries 'The Last Dance' (2:40), getting restless in quarantine, all-time NBA teams, the "time-traveling athletes" argument, and more (40:55). Finally they revisit Game 6 of the 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals between the Chicago Bulls and the Orlando Magic (1:29:28).

MJ vs. the World, Quarantine Month Three, the 2017 Warriors, and 1995 Magic-Bulls Myths With Ryen Russillo | The Bill Simmons Podcast from The Bill Simmons Podcast | Podbay https://podbay.fm/podcast/1043699613/e/1588567047
Will get to it at some point today.

im just stating the facts.

Isiah Thomas only had

1 Top 5 MVP award finish.
5 All NBA finishes.

but all these old timers want us to believe that he's no doubt the second greats PG of all time.

If he was so great how come yall didn't seem to think so at the time?

and there is no doubt that Stockton was a better player in 92, Isiah in the process of seriously falling off.

I suggest listening to

The Prologue: Bill Simmons remembers the day when he learned “The Secret” of basketball from Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas, then built his New York Times no. 1 bestselling book around the premise in 2009. Only one problem: 10 years later, we’re in the middle of the player empowerment era and “The Secret” might not matter anymore.

The Secret Is Now Rented (Prologue) | Book of Basketball 2.0 from Book of Basketball 2.0 | Podbay https://podbay.fm/podcast/1483525141/e/1572940800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom