THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read and heard the NY sports reporters at least respected Melo for standing in front of them after losses.

Knicks PR usually don't let the reporters do one on one interviews.

going to read the rest later re: ben simmons article but this got me good

He thrived in Australia, far from the glare of American AAU basketball and the obsession with Duke or North Carolina lineage, spending his childhood days in gymnasiums while his older siblings competed. By the time he was 5 years old, Simmons was so adept with the ball he was practicing with 7- and 8-year-olds. But when game time came, Simmons refused to play. Instead, he retreated to his mother's lap and leaned in to her, content to watch. She gently encouraged him to join in, offering $5, then $10, all the way up to $100.

But he nestled closer, shaking his head.

5 year old ben simmons was getting bribed by his moms to play with 7-8 year olds :lol:

I guess that negates all his other playoff performances then huh

If one says something so ridiculously hyperbolic then yes. To put in perspective what Mike did in 86 his 2nd year in the league off missing 60+ games put up 44 (only one 3 pointer)/6/6 on legitimately a top 5 team all time.

Contrast that with Lebby in year 8 at some of the peak physical prowess of his career completely melting down. Mentally he didn't get IT until 2012 basically. His best series performance up to that point was the Orlando series in 09 who's nowhere near an all time great anything. MJ had a dozen series of that caliber by that same juncture of his career.

Again there's LEVELS to this and Lebby just has never measured up to it.

If one says something so ridiculously hyperbolic then yes. To put in perspective what Mike did in 86 his 2nd year in the league off missing 60+ games put up 44 (only one 3 pointer)/6/6 on legitimately a top 5 team all time.

Contrast that with Lebby in year 8 at some of the peak physical prowess of his career completely melting down. Mentally he didn't get IT until 2012 basically. His best series performance up to that point was the Orlando series in 09 who's nowhere near an all time great anything. MJ had a dozen series of that caliber by that same juncture of his career.

22 year old Bron leading his team to an upset of the #1 seed Pistons, one of the better defensive teams of the era.

22 year old Bron leading his team to an upset of the #1 seed Pistons, one of the better defensive teams of the era.

I imagine this will be heavily featured in Parts 1 and 2 of Bron's Docuseries. People said that Bron is likely collecting footage for his future docuseries so I thought about what that would look like. I just came up with this but on first thought I see it like

1&2: First Cavs Stint
3&4: Decision/Heatles Years 1 and 2
5&6: Heatles Years 3 and 4/Decision 2.0
7&8: Second Cavs Stint (heavy emphasis on 16 which could be an episode of it's own)
9&10: Lakers/Whatever is next

Could be 11-12 parts depending how the Lakers tenure goes.

To put in perspective what Mike did in 86 his 2nd year in the league off missing 60+ games put up 44 (only one 3 pointer)/6/6 on legitimately a top 5 team all time.

I agree with your overall point, but there are 2 strong rebuttals for what you're saying.

It could be said that what you're getting at is that Mike got there quicker. MH had a dozen impressive playoff series before Lebby really had his 1st all time great series performance, sure, but that could just be saying that Mike got there quicker.

Also, it could be said that MJ and Lebby are completely different in what they bring to the GOAT discussion. Whether people mock him for it or appreciate it, Lebby really is a player/GM to some degree. And MJ was on court assassin who DEMANDED the same from his teammates.

EWJBeX-XYAQ--3-

He averaged 26 a game in that series. Pistons didn't even have Ben Wallace that series either. He was kinda important for their defense I think.
26/9/9/3. Posted 27/9/6 against them the year prior when they had Wallace. Only other dudes scoring like that against the Pistons was Shaq, AI, and Wade. Waving it off like he just wasn't having great playoff performances prior is dumb.

Not comparing him to Jordan. Just solely talking about him.

I agree with your overall point, but there are 2 strong rebuttals for what you're saying.

It could be said that what you're getting at is that Mike got there quicker. MH had a dozen impressive playoff series before Lebby really had his 1st all time great series performance, sure, but that could just be saying that Mike got there quicker.

Also, it could be said that MJ and Lebby are completely different in what they bring to the GOAT discussion. Whether people mock him for it or appreciate it, Lebby really is a player/GM to some degree. And MJ was on court assassin who DEMANDED the same from his teammates.

MJ did it quicker and better. And quite frankly being a defacto player GM means nothing in terms of who's actually a better basketball player on the court and just looking at their performances.

If it did though that wouldn't exactly help Lebbywinks' case seeing as he should be shouldering more responsibility for coming up short instead of the blaming of his teammates that he often gets from the media.

26/9/9/3. Posted 27/9/6 against them the year prior when they had Wallace. Only other dudes scoring like that against the Pistons was Shaq, AI, and Wade. Waving it off like he just wasn't having great playoff performances prior is dumb.

Not comparing him to Jordan. Just solely talking about him.

Bron probably got a dozen playoff series better than that Pistons series. I said the Orlando one cause he put up 39/8/8 that's where he went OFF like MJ in a losing effort.

Ben Simmons hears the talk, but his process is not a public experiment
i

Jackie MacMullanESPN Senior Writer

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29074004/ben-simmons-hears-talk-process-not-public-experiment

"Some people put so much emphasis on it," Simmons says. "It's a little too much. It made me back check and say, 'Let me focus on what I'm good at.'

Simmons agreed to work with a sports psychologist, while Sixers personnel, friends and teammates have tried -- and failed -- to instill the necessary impudence to get him over the hump.

"I know it's going to come," Simmons says. "It's a matter of me being comfortable doing it. Some of that is getting the reps in. I can take a hook shot from the elbow, because I've done it so many times, I'm confident it will go in. It's second nature.

"With 3s, it's never been like that. I've got to make it a point of emphasis. I could be one of those guys shooting 30% right now. But I'd rather be one of those guys shooting 40%."

"When Ben's ready to show the world how good a shooter he is, it won't just be 3s," Johnson says. "It will be pull-ups at the elbow, midrange, every aspect of the game."

Thoughts? Moheezy Moheezy @xxpizzo @mrswagtastic @buc em @amitt5504

I mean, nothing here is new. I like how Simmons figured out how to be aggressive when Embiid went out and now they play much better together. I think looking at Simmon's jumpshot as the main problem is like looking for your keys in a dark room but only looking at where the spotlight is pointing.

The real problems are Josh Harris being a control freak, Elton Brand being a yes man, and Brown still coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom