The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
^^ curious seems like you really hate sons music right now I'm trying to figure out why you keep checking for it?

Can't really be mad at dude.

Was thinking about this on the train, he never said he wouldn't do pop or go mainstream. So he never really 'sold out'.

As someone who started listening to him when HOB came out, it's hard not to want to hear stuff like that from him. Instead he puts out trash that Zara or Victoria Secret will play in the background in their stores. Welp, let him eat I guess.

^^ curious seems like you really hate sons music right now I'm trying to figure out why you keep checking for it?

I'm guessing this is to me, but yeah I can definitely say I do hate it at the moment but only because of what it once was you know? If this was his first release or whatever I wouldn't be a fan but I wouldn't hate it either. But to answer your question I was giving it a chance based on what I thought the features were gonna be but you're right I'm pretty much done checking for his music

Of course dudes in here hate all the pop songs

Never fails

The thing is alot of us f'ed with him from the jump cuz he ain't sound like everything else. He wasn't making the generic radio singalongs. His music had a certain vibe, mood and feel to it. Now all of that is gone. He's making the typical pop music. Glow stick parties and aerobic class ****.

That's just not true man. :lol:

But I understand. The thing is this was always going to happen. Either switch up his style or cater to his OG fans. He just couldn't be as successful if he stayed the same.

And in my opinion he's been very clever in his trasition. Like he said the guy one a kids choice award for a song about how drugs makes his face numb. :lol: C'mon man. This **** is just packaged different.

This isn't basic or generic pop .. I am the last person who wanted this direction but I actually ended up enjoying the sound and music if you don't expect it to be vintage Weeknd

The sound and content is a lot better than most pop and it's also pretty dark

Last edited:
Always wonder what wouldve happened if Kiss Land was received different. NT and I loved it but critics slammed it as boring and more of the same Trilogy. A lot of fans didn't like it. None of the songs got radio play. Portishead, the main inspiration behind the album, dissed BTTW by not letting him sample them. KL isn't perfect but there were no dambs given about radio play or little kids on that one. Just a passion project.

aerobic class ****.
all i can think of is Quint's reaction to False Alarm when you said this 
roll.gif

Always wonder what wouldve happened if Kiss Land was received different. NT and I loved it but critics slammed it as boring and more of the same Trilogy. A lot of fans didn't like it. None of the songs got radio play. Portishead, the main inspiration behind the album, dissed BTTW by not letting him sample them. KL isn't perfect but there were no dambs given about radio play or little kids on that one. Just a passion project.
I mean.. mainstream was never going to receive that like they did bbtm.. wonder what would have happened if he decided to do bbtm after the trilogy and kiss land after that

I just knew we were in for something dark when I first heard the snippet. :smh:

The Hills is top 10 weeknd. Don't eem care.

I mean.. mainstream was never going to receive that like they did bbtm.. wonder what would have happened if he decided to do bbtm after the trilogy and kiss land after that

Reviews and fan reception were way better for EOS. Was mostly talking about that - not sales and stuff.

I wouldn't say the pop stuff is generic, only because he brings a dark element to most of those tracks. However True Colors & Die For You are pretty basic R&B 101

Reviews and fan reception were way better for EOS. Was mostly talking about that - not sales and stuff.
Oh alright yeah that's probably true then. He cares about the sales though...

I wouldn't say the pop stuff is generic, only because he brings a dark element to most of those tracks. However True Colors & Die For You are pretty basic R&B 101
Those were the basic r and b songs and still better than most of what's out there in the mainstream IMO

If Timberlake or someone made true colors his fans would be raving I think

Last edited:
I like the songs (now) and think he does a good job. Yes not every pop star could pull those songs off but it's basic R&B

That's just not true man. :lol:

But I understand. The thing is this was always going to happen. Either switch up his style or cater to his OG fans. He just couldn't be as successful if he stayed the same.

And in my opinion he's been very clever in his trasition. Like he said the guy one a kids choice award for a song about how drugs makes his face numb. :lol: C'mon man. This **** is just packaged different.

What's not true? He's not making pop radio music?

Yeah the songs are about the same thing but it SOUNDS like the same ol pop music. The beats are trash. The tone of the music, like I said before his music has no soul or feeling in it now. It's watered down.

I get it he has to cater to them people to be super successful but the music ain't good. And I don't think he had to change completely to be successful. The Hills was big and that sounds just like his old ****. Earned it wasn't pop and that was big.

Back
Top Bottom