The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
XO got traditions baby! Tonight's the night. If you're by the Mod Club, you better be here!

CMEVL2YVAAA-5Qv.jpg

I think his vocals and his confidence progressed but production wise, although I like the album the more and more I listen. It isn't anything groundbreaking.
I wouldn't describe any of his music groundbreaking.

I wouldn't describe any of his music groundbreaking.
Seems like semantics. It's all opinion but which artists are groundbreaking in your eyes?

In terms of a unique sound and style-- from lyrics, vocals, content, production I'd say he's pretty much in a class of his own. Not saying he's "the best", more like one of a kind 

When you consider he released his first three tapes FOR FREE and STILL RE-SOLD them at a later date, that's impressive for any artist 

Seems like semantics. It's all opinion but which artists are groundbreaking in your eyes?

In terms of a unique sound and style-- from lyrics, vocals, content, production I'd say he's pretty much in a class of his own. Not saying he's "the best", more like one of a kind 

When you consider he released his first three tapes FOR FREE and STILL RE-SOLD them at a later date, that's impressive for any artist 
I consider an artist to be groundbreaking if they're changing the game. Like you said, he's in his own lane. Now if baby Abel's come out the woodwork in the upcoming years and R&B changes to mimic his sound and lifestyle, then you can maybe say that about him.

Last edited:

I consider an artist to be groundbreaking if they're changing the game. Like you said, he's in his own lane. Now if baby Abel's come out the woodwork in the upcoming years and R&B changes to be knockoffs of him, then you can maybe say that about him.
Folks have already pointed out a few artists, specifically from XO, that have "adopted" his style. Hell, plenty of folks have said Drake hopped on his sound for much of Take Care. I'M NOT SAYING THIS, this is just has been said by others

I don't think groundbreaking necessarily has to do with artists mimicking his style because his style is that unique. It's very difficult to emulate something like this but to the fact that you see SO MANY artists in VERY DIFFERENT genres hailing this kid... I mean to me whether you call that "groundbreaking" or not, he's having a huge impact on the music industry 

Groundbreaking was the wrong word :lol: the tapes and Kiss Land just had such a unique sound and feeling. Nothing I've really ever heard before. The uniqueness is still there, but the major pop productions just sort of water the content down. I've yet to get goosebumps listening to any song off this album. And like I've said, I like it for what it is. But I expect goosebumps when listening. If any of that makes sense.

Groundbreaking was the wrong word
laugh.gif
the tapes and Kiss Land just had such a unique sound and feeling. Nothing I've really ever heard before. The uniqueness is still there, but the major pop productions just sort of water the content down. I've yet to get goosebumps listening to any song off this album. And like I've said, I like it for what it is. But I expect goosebumps when listening. If any of that makes sense.
Right, but this dude said that none of his music has ever been grounbreaking

Folks have already pointed out a few artists, specifically from XO, that have "adopted" his style. Hell, plenty of folks have said Drake hopped on his sound for much of Take Care. I'M NOT SAYING THIS, this is just has been said by others

I don't think groundbreaking necessarily has to do with artists mimicking his style because his style is that unique. It's very difficult to emulate something like this but to the fact that you see SO MANY artists in VERY DIFFERENT genres hailing this kid... I mean to me whether you call that "groundbreaking" or not, he's having a huge impact on the music industry 
I mean there may be folk trying to emulate his style or whatever, but he hasn't affected the big R&B picture. Take Wayne for example. He was the first on that autotune rap. And ever since, that **** aint went away.  So  many people adopted that and put there spin on it it's ridiculous. That's groundbreaking in my definition. Drake's a special case. He hops on anything that's buzzing. He just has a good ear for talent and what's popping.

Him being hailed by others is a testament to the quality of music he's producing. I would consider Ye a groundbreaking artist. He clearly had an effect on the game. I can't see any effect Abel is having on R&B. It may be there, but I don't see it at all. He's in his own little bubble, which is a good thing to me.

Last edited:

I mean there may be folk trying to emulate his style or whatever, but he hasn't affected the big R&B picture. Take Wayne for example. He was the first on that autotune rap. And ever since, that **** aint went away.  So  many people adopted that and put there spin on it it's ridiculous. That's groundbreaking in my definition. Drake's a special case. He hops on anything that's buzzing. He just has a good ear for talent and what's popping.

As far as him being hailed by others is a testament to the quality of music he's producing. I would consider Ye a groundbreaking artist. He clearly had an effect on the game. I can't see any effect Abel is having on R&B. It may be there, but I don't see it at all. He's in his own little bubble, which is a good thing to me.
That's the thing, Weeknd isn't under a specific genre

Again, it's very difficult to emulate the man because he is so unique

I guess I don't agree with your standards for "groundbreaking" but I do agree that he's in his own bubble. By nature he will not be groundbreaking because he is in his own bubble and others won't be able to do what he does

I do believe you will see the dark (drugs and sex), rambling type singers start to come on the scene. XO has a few of these types of artists and they are great IMO

Last edited:
That's the thing, Weeknd isn't under a specific genre

Again, it's very difficult to emulate the man because he is so unique

I guess I don't agree with your standards for "groundbreaking" but I do agree that he's in his own bubble. By nature he will not be groundbreaking because he is in his own bubble and others won't be able to do what he does

I do believe you will see the dark (drugs and sex), rambling type singers start to come on the scene. XO has a few of these types of artists and they are great IMO

There's a few. He definitely has influenced some underground artists.

There's a few. He definitely has influenced some underground artists.
And I truly believe we will see more come on the scene. How big they will get, who knows. But I believe Weeknd definitely tapped into something nobody else ever had in terms of the aura of drugs, crooning, sex.. unstructured songs.. the cocktail of it all had never quite been mixed the way he did

Last edited:

And I truly believe we will see more come on the scene. How big they will get, who knows. But I believe Weeknd definitely tapped into something nobody else ever had in terms of the aura of drugs, crooning, sex.. the cocktail of it all had never quite been mixed the way he did

And I truly believe we will see more come on the scene. How big they will get, who knows. But I believe Weeknd definitely tapped into something nobody else ever had in terms of the aura of drugs, crooning, sex.. unstructured songs.. the cocktail of it all had never quite been mixed the way he did

True, I suppose only time will tell just exactly how influential he will be on future music.

Shamless.... This song is 
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif

"You want me to fix you but its never enough, thats why you always call me because your scared to be loved." the feels

Anybody that is having trouble with the presale tickets, just google "citi cardmember presale code" the last two links have the code.

Then I checked out using Visa checkout. I just bought two tickets for me and my girl for the DC show 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom