The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

I just can't get into it...but i really am going to try this year....MLS.....
I watched Portland vs NY last night...and even a 3-3 game....the play...just isn't that great. Nagbe had some flashes though

That being said...excited for City v. Villa in a bit

I can't get into the MLS either. I enjoy watching Earthquakes games, but it's more about supporting the hometown team for me than the actual product/quality. I don't think the MLS is horrible by global standards...maybe unremarkable is a better description

Yeah, I'm glad Philly got a team a few yrs back so I could support the hometown, even though the Union are probably gonna struggle this year....I think MLS is decent quality though, I always gotta remind myself since I'm used to really only watching Arsenal or Lyon games mainly (plus some Barca, United, Bayern, big teams) but these teams aren't on that level :lol: nor should they be with the financial restraints....but honestly looking at Euro leagues aside from the top tier teams its not that big of a drop in quality to decent MLS teams.....in like 20 yrs though the quality will be pretty :smokin I think if it can get to Liga MX level in the next 10-12 yrs it'll be really great step. The league is still only 16 yrs old still

Yeah, I'm glad Philly got a team a few yrs back so I could support the hometown, even though the Union are probably gonna struggle this year....I think MLS is decent quality though, I always gotta remind myself since I'm used to really only watching Arsenal or Lyon games mainly (plus some Barca, United, Bayern, big teams) but these teams aren't on that level :lol: nor should they be with the financial restraints....but honestly looking at Euro leagues aside from the top tier teams its not that big of a drop in quality to decent MLS teams.....in like 20 yrs though the quality will be pretty :smokin I think if it can get to Liga MX level in the next 10-12 yrs it'll be really great step. The league is still only 16 yrs old still

Are you serious? Top MLS teams can compete and have beaten Liga MX teams. I think both leagues are pretty much even... The only reason I give Liga MX an edge is because of the playing style (individual skill) and one or two great teams that are on another level. MLS is just as good but it follows a British playing style without the top flight talent.

Are you serious? Top MLS teams can compete and have beaten Liga MX teams. I think both leagues are pretty much even... The only reason I give Liga MX an edge is because of the playing style (individual skill) and one or two great teams that are on another level. MLS is just as good but it follows a British playing style without the top flight talent.

Not saying this because I'm Mexican, but Liga MX is way better than the MLS. They're more even at the Senior NT level.

I know there was some misguided members in the past, but by now we're all in agreement that Gary Neville is the best pundit in the business right?

******EDIT*****
Video re-upped.

Last edited:
^ The vid doesn't work anymore 
frown.gif

But yeah... I may sound biased cuz I'm a United supporter, but I enjoy his analysis and I think he's criticized United before as I think he does what he can to remain impartial in his analysis.  

It's not just the United fans though... a lot of objective fans from other teams (from what I've read) have also praised his analysis.  

Not saying this because I'm Mexican, but Liga MX is way better than the MLS. They're more even at the Senior NT level.

The gap has closed a little bit , but MLS is not on the same level as Liga MX. For those interested to see how far that gap is, there's a nice CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals tonight at 8PM on Fox Soccer; Houston Dynamo vs Santos Laguna. Here's a good article from MLS' website.

I think the gap is a little bigger then MLS thinks though. Liga MX players are much more technically proficient and more talented. The US just doesn't teach/coach the skill that other countries do. We rely on our athletes being more physical specimens with talent & ability & less skill..

Edit - look at the US U20 team in the CONCACAF final vs Mexico... We played them tough, but couldn't overcome a great Mexican team in the end.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/a...mls-mexico-shrinking-ahead-ccl-clash-vs-santo

HOUSTON – With the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals upon us, the talk once again revolves around the gap between Mexican and US clubs – and deservedly so. After all, a club from south of the border has claimed the title, and the spot in the FIFA Club World Cup that comes with it, every year of the competition's existence.

Finances, roster depth and the timing of the games all help explain why MLS clubs have come up short in CCL play. And while evidence suggests MLS clubs are at a disadvantage, when the Houston Dynamo step onto the field at BBVA Compass Stadium on Tuesday night (8 pm ET, Fox Soccer), they'll do so with the belief that they've got more than enough to reverse the trend against 2012 runners-up Santos Laguna.

“The only gap for me is there’s an economic gap,” head coach Dominic Kinnear said. “There has always been a gap in depth but I think it’s closing over the years. I think MLS teams are getting closer, no more closer than what Salt Lake did a couple of years ago. I think we all believe that something good can happen.”

The Dynamo, who are fresh off a 2-0 home win over D.C. United in their season opener, are one of the few MLS clubs that have a history of success against their Mexican counterparts. Houston have an 8-6-3 record all-time against clubs from south of the border and were the first MLS side to score a result in Mexico in CCL play, a 4-4 draw with Pumas UNAM back in 2008.

Heading into Tuesday's first leg, the Dynamo know that Santos are a club ripe with talent and attacking guile. But Houston believe the homefield advantage that BBVA Compass Stadium offers – the Dynamo have a 31-game unbeaten streak at their downtown digs – can help them set the tone in the series.

“The important part here is that it’s two legs and you’ve got to take care of business in the first leg to give yourself a chance in the second leg,” defender Bobby Boswell said. “If you go down there and have to score two or three goals or don’t have a lead, it’s a tough place to go win.

"We’ve had some teams over the years do it, so it’s not impossible to go down and get results, but you’re not doing yourself a favor if you’re not taking care of things at home."

Last edited:
^That Watford shirt is ugly especially The Happy Egg sponsorship on the front... :lol:

Wow that interview has really gone viral...

Ready to see CR7 show everybody why he's the best player on the planet.

Madrid will win but it won't be just because of Ronaldo.
Lets think of DiMaria, Ozil, Ramos, Pepe, and Bezema too

I'll do your photo 3 better... :lol:

Seriously though if RM win today, I think they along with Bayern Munich have to be the favorite to win the Champions League... This RM team is kicking butt just at the right time...

Last edited:
^ The vid doesn't work anymore 
frown.gif

But yeah... I may sound biased cuz I'm a United supporter, but I enjoy his analysis and I think he's criticized United before as I think he does what he can to remain impartial in his analysis.  

It's not just the United fans though... a lot of objective fans from other teams (from what I've read) have also praised his analysis.  

Re-upped in the original reply.

Here is the direct link:

Agreed with what you said, he has no noticeable bias (except maybe towards English players, :lol: he LOVES Ox) and he is slowly but surely becoming one of, if not the, best pundits out.

I love listening to him give his opinion on a game.

I'll do your photo 3 better... :lol:

Seriously though if RM win today, I think they along with Bayern Munich have to be the favorite to win the Champions League... This RM team is kicking butt just at the right time...

Y'all know damn well one of those belongs to Ronaldo. Messi has 4, Ronaldo has 1, that's absurd. Messi may be better but THAT much better? Na

But coaches, players, and the media hate him. He's going to go down as the most hated footballer of all time. Ronaldo sort of brought that on himself because he's arrogant but what aya gonna do.

Even though RM is seemingly in good form after two vital Clasico victories, Bayern Munich is still my CL favorite. Neuer is a wall in net, the back four doesn't concede, threatening offensively with even Lahm and Alaba bombing forward, and Robben as a super-sub with pace. Scary.

Even though RM is seemingly in good form after two vital Clasico victories, Bayern Munich is still my CL favorite. Neuer is a wall in net, the back four doesn't concede, threatening offensively with even Lahm and Alaba bombing forward, and Robben as a super-sub with pace. Scary.

Squad can only go up with Pep taking the managerial reins and continued youth development in Germany. Tough luck for Dortmund, love their playing style under Klopp. Playing second fiddle.

Back
Top Bottom