The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

You would have to figure Spurs still miss out on a top-4 EPL spot behind City, United, Chelsea, and probably Arsenal. How did Dembele look today against QPR, I honestly missed most of that match.
Giroud is having trouble translating his goal-scoring record from Ligue 1.

I didn't get a chance to see that match either.

Although, I know he played a full 90 with no assists or goals.

I thought Spurs would have a Newcastle-like breakout season last season, and this season. Looking at it now, I guess not :smh:

There's enough talent there and a decent manager to make something happen.

I'm sorry, but AVB isn't going to be "a decent manager" until he can get all of the pieces he needs to play his system, because he has continually shown that he is not going to adjust his style to the players that he has. He is trying to move Bale all around (LB like he started today and on the right like later in the pitch after moving him onto the left wing) rather than playing a system in which Lennon and Bale thrive, playing deeper and making the longer runs, he continually tries to fit square pegs in round holes, and sometimes the quality of the players is enough against some sides, but against others it isn't. I think too much is made about dissent and problems in the dressing room, because results can cure most ills, but when your manager is stingy about HIS system and you aren't getting results, obviously there will be problems. I think he needs to find a balance (which is easier said than done) between incorporating his system and getting results. One would hope he would learn from his experience last season, but from what I have seen thus far in regard to his player management, and game management (late game substitutions removing attackers, becoming more negative) there is still some work to be done.

I don't know what happened with the Moutinho situation, but if I am AVB/Levy there is no way that I don't make that deal happen, and I think that is the type of player that you will need, esp. in AVB's system.

AVB's biggest flaw is stubbornness and spurning players on his roster (Sturridge, Lukaku at the Bridge).

Moutinho is the right CAM for Spurs and AVB's system. A better fit if you will, than Luka even in terms of a player tailored for AVB.

In 2010, Joao's economic rights (37.5%) were sold to a third party. In 2011, Porto partnered with SIF to buy back the 37.5%. The SIF acquires 15% now, Porto recouped the remaining 22.5%. Those financial situations always complicate transfers, in this case between Spurs and Porto. Porto is probably holding out for an exorbitant fee that Spurs will wait to negotiate until the winter or next summer window.

^Moutinho would be played as more of an organizer in a fluid midfield three rather than a CAM, as I believe AVB would switch to a 4-3-3 if he had such a player. He's more of a number 8 than a number 10. Otherwise, he'd be paired with Sandro in a 4-2-3-1. Don't see how he'd be better than Modric in any way, though.

AVB was right to spurn Sturridge as he's far too selfish to be deployed on the wing, and Lukaku wasn't ready. Hugebird's post has a lot of truth to it, and I do believe he'll eventually find the right mix of players and where they all fit optimally within the system. I don't believe he's so stubborn he won't alter his system at all, as he's already changed from a primarily possession based style to a counter attacking one having realized the limitations of his midfielders.

Last edited:
For the PS3 players interested in making a team for FIFA 13, hit me up(PM or get at me on twitter) so for it's 3 of us including me
Why don't you wait until the game is out.

Because it's coming out tomorrow night. I'll be getting it then and I assume most people will. I'm not saying, that we have to start playing right away but I would like to get a decent idea of where things are headed.

Henzo said we could use the uMad FC name if we wanted to for PS3...he has Xbox, the club is highly ranked within North America

What exactly is this team? All of us with virtual pros? Not sure how that works but I'm in :nerd: I'll PM later.

Yup..

Anywho, here are some stats:
Only Leighton Baines has more key passes per game (4.8) than Cazorla (4) in the Premier League so far.
Gervinho has the most successful dribbles per game in the Premier League so far (4).
Kieran Gibbs has the most interceptions per game of all Premier League defenders so far (3.6).
Mikel Arteta has the highest pass accuracy in the Premier League so far with 93.4% in five apps.
Arsenal have the most dribbles per game in the Premier League so far (13.4). Second most is Liverpool with 9.4 per game.
Arsenal have the third most tackles per game in the Premier League so far, but the second fewest fouls per game.
via @ArsenalReport

AVB's biggest flaw is stubbornness and spurning players on his roster (Sturridge, Lukaku at the Bridge).
Moutinho is the right CAM for Spurs and AVB's system. A better fit if you will, than Luka even in terms of a player tailored for AVB.
In 2010, Joao's economic rights (37.5%) were sold to a third party. In 2011, Porto partnered with SIF to buy back the 37.5%. The SIF acquires 15% now, Porto recouped the remaining 22.5%. Those financial situations always complicate transfers, in this case between Spurs and Porto. Porto is probably holding out for an exorbitant fee that Spurs will wait to negotiate until the winter or next summer window.

FWIW, the report was that the fee was agreed upon and Spurs couldn't agree to personal terms with Moutinho. How true that is, we will never know, but if it is a situation of not wanting to break a certain wage structure, I think that in the long run it would do more harm than good. I think that the Hulk sale will now hurt their chances in getting him going forward.

I love how Wenger doesn't acknowledge Clichy at all, just walked straight past him
laugh.gif

Robinho's advice to Neymar is that if he wants to join any club in Spain, that he should join Barcelona because Brazilians have more success playing for them and that if he wants to become the best in the world then he has to leave Brazil. I'm not sure that's that good of a move, as Barcelona already has enough strikers and wingers in Messi, Villa, Pedro, Alexis although he's playing more as a defender recently due to lack of continuous impressive plays as a winger, Tello, Iniesta occasionally, Cuenca and Deulofeu from the Barcelona B team and that will really give Neymar little playing minutes on the pitch, which is something he won't like.

Also Messi and Villa got into a little argument against Granada at yesterdays game, but they just got caught up in the heat of the game, it was nothing personal between them and they are totally cool with each other said Tito and Messi.

So all's good in Cataluña.

For those of you who watch La Liga, Rayo Vallecano vs. Real Madrid and Deportivo vs. Sevilla tomorrow. Should be a win for Real and for Sevilla. Another loss for Real could be brutal. If they don't score in the first half, they could be in trouble, as Rayo has always stepped it up once they comeback on the pitch in the second half from the half time.

This season of La Liga so far has been really good and totally unexpected so far. Aside from Barcelona being in first place with 15 points, no one expected Real Madrid to loss so many games and only have 4 points in 4 games. No on expected Mallorca to being so well with Israeli Tomer Hemed scoring as frequently as he has and Málaga to so well despite having a lot of players exiting the club in the pre season transfer window due to the economic situation. A lot of people also expected a couple of more wins for Valencia, but they have struggled somewhat to despite how well they've been playing.

This has been a really good La Liga in these 5 rounds so far.

^Moutinho would be played as more of an organizer in a fluid midfield three rather than a CAM, as I believe AVB would switch to a 4-3-3 if he had such a player. He's more of a number 8 than a number 10. Otherwise, he'd be paired with Sandro in a 4-2-3-1. Don't see how he'd be better than Modric in any way, though.
AVB was right to spurn Sturridge as he's far too selfish to be deployed on the wing, and Lukaku wasn't ready. Hugebird's post has a lot of truth to it, and I do believe he'll eventually find the right mix of players and where they all fit optimally within the system. I don't believe he's so stubborn he won't alter his system at all, as he's already changed from a primarily possession based style to a counter attacking one having realized the limitations of his midfielders.
I wasn't saying Moutinho was a better CM than Luka, I was saying Joao is a better fit for AVB's scheme and system than Modric.

Nobody was saying Lukaku deserved to be the first-team striker as 17/18-year old. But not even a loan spell or brief action in basic opening cup matches?

Sturridge is not a winger. That's the point. With Nando struggling, AVB had a golden opportunity to justify utilizing Sturridge in his natural ST role. He's not a RW. He's not a Robben-type cutting in on his left either. Sturridge is a striker, since the City academy days.

I heard Messi doesn't like being outshined and that's the reason why ronaldinho and Ibra left
This is the second or third time that this happens between them. Last December they had a bust up but they hushed it down. Nothing ekse happened cus Villa would later get injure and be out for the rest of the season. But who knows, Neymar should just go to wherever he'd like. I'd like to see him in Atletico de Madrid but we all know that won't happen :lol: but i honestly think he'll stay there cus of the financial crisis in europe

I see Neymar going to Chelsea when its all set and done. Who knows but thats my gut feeling.

I wasn't saying Moutinho was a better CM than Luka, I was saying Joao is a better fit for AVB's scheme and system than Modric.
Nobody was saying Lukaku deserved to be the first-team striker as 17/18-year old. But not even a loan spell or brief action in basic opening cup matches?
Sturridge is not a winger. That's the point. With Nando struggling, AVB had a golden opportunity to justify utilizing Sturridge in his natural ST role. He's not a RW. He's not a Robben-type cutting in on his left either. Sturridge is a striker, since the City academy days.

How is Moutinho a better fit for AVB's system? He's not, Modric would have been a perfect fit had he been willing to stay. AVB desperately wanted him during his spell at Chelsea, and they were willing to pay ~40 million.

Maybe they couldn't work out a loan in time for Lukaku? He signed a few weeks before the transfer window closed if I remember correctly, and it's likely difficult to secure a loan agreement as you've got to work out how much the loaning club is going to pay in wages. Not too many teams that late in the window keen on paying a teen striker with no league experience. Besides, at Chelsea he had like 50 bigger problems than getting PT for an 18 year old. :lol:

Playing Sturridge over a 50 million pound striker, and Drogba would have made his trouble with the senior players worse, and gotten him sacked in even faster time. They had no pace out wide (a key system component) which is why he was played there with limited success.

:rofl: @ Rayo fans sabotaging the lights before the Madrid match. Apparently, it was in response to the club making the fans pay a surcharge. :smh:

Those United supporters :smh:

Last edited:
I see Neymar going to Chelsea when its all set and done. Who knows but thats my gut feeling.

Neymar turned Chelsea down last year, although they were wanting to send him to West Ham for a year on Loan as part of the deal lol

mean.gif
 at those Utd. supporters, the 'Pool supporters that mocked the Munich air crash as well as those who Tweeted abuse towards Mark Halsey... 
mean.gif

W.T.F. is wrong with these "fans"? 

Back
Top Bottom