The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

sick.gif
@ that Ronaldo goal and how fast the ball dives. The technique behind that man's kick is something extraordinary. If it could be copied, it would be as revolutionary as when people started shooting jumpshots with one hand instead of two in basketball.
yeah, that was ridiculous.  It had so little spin on it, which probably gave it that knuckle-ball effect... It just died right after it passed the keeper... incredible.
Yep. He did the same thing in the 2006 WC semis against France. The dip on that one was even crazier. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen in soccer. 

So reports out of France say that Tottenham have agreed on personal terms with Eden Hazard. Up to the clubs to agree on a fee.

Can't see Modric leaving for Chelsea if Spurs get CL football and the Blues don't, and if Bale stays?

Forget about being a MUFC fan for a minute. For the sake of pure football...Parker, Modric, Hazard/Bale on the wing, Lennon, Bale/Hazard (through the middle) + Adebayor?
sick.gif

sick.gif
@ that Ronaldo goal and how fast the ball dives. The technique behind that man's kick is something extraordinary. If it could be copied, it would be as revolutionary as when people started shooting jumpshots with one hand instead of two in basketball.
yeah, that was ridiculous.  It had so little spin on it, which probably gave it that knuckle-ball effect... It just died right after it passed the keeper... incredible.

I'm not sure what you mean by coppied. The technique is fairly common, its Ronaldo's individual ability that makes him so good at it.

Ronaldo's goal was just disgusting
pimp.gif

I loved Benzema's finesse/smooth goal, just like Henry trademark suave goals
pimp.gif
both french... coincidence? I think not
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

sick.gif

I'm not sure what you mean by coppied. The technique is fairly common, its Ronaldo's individual ability that makes him so good at it.
Really? Can you provide visual evidence of other players making a ball dip vertically like Ronaldo did in that goal? I've seen players do it horizontally, but not vertically. I mean, a lot of shots dip a little bit, but that's just the way the ball travels when kicked. It will come down. But Ronaldo's dip is something completely different. It's like the ball suddenly weighs 30 pounds once it hits its high point. 

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Hey Nacho, still in GGDL? how are the Chivas selling less tickets than the 2nd div games in the same stadium?
Yeah, still over here...

Chivas?
tired.gif
tired.gif
It's just a disgrace what is happening with all 3 teams of the city, Atlas and Tecos are fighting for staying in primera and Chivas in last place... Thank God I'm Cementaro, Cruz Azul FTW
pimp.gif

In Omnilife Stadium only Chivas play, in Estado Jalisco, Atlas and Leones Negros of UDG (the Primera A team) play there... Leones has a BIG fanbase, always a full stadium, those games have that passional NCAA football feel...

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Really?Can you provide visual evidence of other players making a ball dipvertically like Ronaldo did in that goal? I've seen players do ithorizontally, but not vertically. I mean, a lot of shots dip a littlebit, but that's just the way the ball travels when kicked. It will comedown. But Ronaldo's dip is something completely different. It's likethe ball suddenly weighs 30 pounds once it hits its high point. 
Search "how to make a soccer ball dip" or "ronaldo dip technique tutorial" on youtube and you'll find amateurs who can do it. I can do it consistently with a with a dead ball, haven't quite been able to get hitting a moving ball down yet.

SinnerP is spot on, apparently it has to do with the lack of spin, and even though it looks like there's no spin, there's really a slight top spin. I'm no physicist but someone explained to me that when the ball is moving with relatively little spin, air gets caught in the seems of the ball and greatly exaggerates the effect of the top spin (the same goes for balls that knuckle/swerve in a given direction, ball is rotating subtly in that direction and the movement is exaggerated).

The technique existed before Ronaldo, Pirlo's been known to do it, Ronaldo's just so good at it's been unofficially coined the Ronaldo dip technique. Off the top of my head Dempsey's goal (ruled an OG) this weekend is a great example.

I think there's a couple of reasons why Ronaldo is so good at it. He's completely mastered the technique but he's also just a physical specimen and is able to shoot with unbelievable velocity. The harder you hit it, the more violently it's going to dip.

I get your point but I don't think what you posted is anything close to what Ronaldo did. Maybe his goal against Levante, but the free kick against France was way, way different. The dip was exponentially nastier and less natural. What the kid is doing in that video can be done by most advanced soccer players. What Ronaldo did against France, I have personally never seen done before.

I mean that kid is an amateur, and a kid at that. Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time. The degree to which they can do it is not gonna be the same, not even close.

I'm just saying from a technical standpoint it's not a mystery. You hit a ball dead center on it's horizontal axis and well below the midpoint on it's vertical axis, come up through the ball to provide the top spin, and it's going to rise then dip violently.

Like I said, I think the main reason why nobody can do it as good as well as Ronaldo is because it's extremely hard for a human being, even other professional soccer players, to generate the amount of force it takes to get that^^^ much dip. His combination of perfect technique, physical strength, and flexibility is just superior to everybody else's even at the pro level.

To be fair, if you ask Ronaldo I bet he'd say that's as perfect contact as he's ever made. 9 times out of 10 he doesn't hit em like that.

Originally Posted by RuffRydya08

So reports out of France say that Tottenham have agreed on personal terms with Eden Hazard. Up to the clubs to agree on a fee.

Can't see Modric leaving for Chelsea if Spurs get CL football and the Blues don't, and if Bale stays?

Forget about being a MUFC fan for a minute. For the sake of pure football...Parker, Modric, Hazard/Bale on the wing, Lennon, Bale/Hazard (through the middle) + Adebayor?
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I mean that kid is an amateur, and a kid at that. Ronaldo is one of the best players of all time. The degree to which they can do it is not gonna be the same, not even close.

I'm just saying from a technical standpoint it's not a mystery. You hit a ball dead center on it's horizontal axis and well below the midpoint on it's vertical axis, come up through the ball to provide the top spin, and it's going to rise then dip violently.

Like I said, I think the main reason why nobody can do it as good as well as Ronaldo is because it's extremely hard for a human being, even other professional soccer players, to generate the amount of force it takes to get that^^^ much dip. His combination of perfect technique, physical strength, and flexibility is just superior to everybody else's even at the pro level.

To be fair, if you ask Ronaldo I bet he'd say that's as perfect contact as he's ever made. 9 times out of 10 he doesn't hit em like that.
Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this. 

sick.gif
Yep..it was nasty..dude is sick with it

Knives coming out now...?

Mixed reports on how long Ashley Cole might be out too..

Andre Villas-Boas' position as Chelsea manager looks increasingly insecure following a heated clash with his players in front of the club's owner, Roman Abramovich.

-  AVB tipped for Inter job
- Chelsea confirm Abramovich summit
- Everton 2-0 Chelsea

Abramovich, who has presided over seven managers in eight years, called for a summit with his manager and players following Chelsea's 2-0 defeat at Everton on Saturday - their fourth Premier League game without a win.

The Russian blamed the players for the club's slide to fifth place and Villas-Boas gave his underperforming squad a dressing down. However, the players reportedly hit back at the Portuguese manager, telling him exactly what they thought of his training and tactics.

It is also believed that goalkeeper Petr Cech came in for criticism from team-mates over his distribution.

"The players stuck with AVB until the New Year because they realise he was under orders to change things," a source is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"But his plans are obviously not working, the atmosphere in the dressing room is tense and more and more players are beginning to wonder if he's the right man for the job. It's reached a stage where many of them don't care whether he's there or not.

"No one foresaw this situation - but the results simply aren't there and he's suffering because of them."

Abramovich has taken an unusually close interest in training recently, but the Blues maintain Villas-Boas position is not under threat and that the owner's active interest is perfectly normal.

Criticism of this Barca side regarding their domestic struggles has been warranted, but I'm glad to see they bounced back for this game, and played well.

Tough to say, but Cesc has been disappointing this season, despite the goals. When he plays forward, the attack is easier to defend because his lack of pace isn't stretching any defense, and his tendency to drift centrally constricts the hole area. When he plays in the midfield, the engine doesn't quite hum as in past seasons - decision making is just a step slow and inconsistent. He'll improve. Actual quote from the skysports telecast from today's game, "Fabregas would be better than Busquets in his role." Laughable.

Plenty of reasons why they're ten points back - dip in form, injuries, fatigue, new players, etc. But it really comes down to them putting in average performances. Still, on top of what they've done the past few years, they can potentially win 5 trophies this season, so to hear some of the over the top bashing/criticism from some of the 'supporters' makes me cringe. Watching the past few games at the pub has been awful. 
Real aren't invulnerable, but they've played great football, and their direct uptempo passing approach creates loads of chances, enabling them to get the points even when they don't play well. As for the Ronaldo FK debate, I'd agree with Ham. Technique can be better or worse, improved or diminished, but it can't really be unique. Incredible hit by Ronaldo v. Levante, though.

At least Vela is having another year on loan in Spain... I don't see him going back to Arsenal...

Just watched the Barca vs Leverkusen game.Sanchez is a beastMessi is GOAT or atleast of the this centuryBarca soccer is so beautiful

^^
Without Xavi and Pique.
If they would've played it would have made a difference I can tell you that, but nonetheless they still earned a victory.

Back
Top Bottom