The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

One of my best friends in high school would go to movies alone. Sitting in Spider-Man with a bucket of popcorn and no dambs given.

I go all Uncle Sam because I live here :\

And cuz your parents team probably is not as good. If your parents were Brazilian I doubt you would just be USA. Just like the philipino americans who root for Manny Pacquiao over the American Money May

louis, if I had the $135 to buy decent tickets for the two-day pass I would gladly go watch the games at Sun Life with you. I just don't have that bread right now :lol:

I go all Uncle Sam because I live here :\

And cuz your parents team probably is not as good. If your parents were Brazilian I doubt you would just be USA. Just like the philipino americans who root for Manny Pacquiao over the American Money May
This is a good argument.

But personally, its more about me>parent's background.

Sadly, I hardly even consider myself 'of color' or even Chinese or Canadian, or even English if I really want to reach, whatsoever :lol:

Just 100% American :\

So i flip flop but you dont?
Choosing to root for Colombia cuz Peru sucks isnt flip flopping?
Also, the US in the last 10 years has argueably been better than Peru and Colombia in World Cups so I can understand why you go all Uncle Sam.

Also I love the US but why would i feel more attached to the US Team when they play Arg or Guate? The US team looks less like me. I cant identify with Michael Bradley, Brek Shea and Jozy Altidore. Come on man. Ask the Africans here why they like Drogba, Henry and Balotelli.

Actually, I've always only cheered for Colombia. Never really even considered cheering for Peru as they've never given me anything to cheer about, so no flip flopping here champ.

And if Colombia plays the US, it's still US all day. Why? Cuz Torres, Hercules, Castillo, Corona, and Omar Gonzalez look like ME.

Oh and Landy and Duece might as well be Latino since they grew up ballin with our people... Have some pride fam...

I normally wouldn't go to a game or something solo, but if these matches were close to me, I'd do it.

born and raised in The US, **** the other teams.

not even a year ago this guy ajplatinum was hating on the USMNT, but now thats one of his teams..smh.

nothing wrong with going alone to game. grab a beer, sit down, and talk about the beautiful game and The US team with those around you..

just went to last weeks gold cup semifinal games solo, a whole lot easier to talk to hoeskies.

that Mexican atmosphere >>

Last edited:
This is a good argument.

Sadly, I hardly even consider myself 'of color' or even Chinese or Canadian, or even English if I really want to reach, whatsoever :lol:

Understood dude but do you fault americans of jamaican descent who root for Husein Bolt over the americans in an olympic race?

Also to feel passionate about a team you gotta be invested in them. I grew up watching Argentina and Guatemala. My first live Arg gane was in 1995. My first Guate game was at the 1997 Gold Cup. Do you think many devoted US fans watched John Harkes, Tab Ramos, Alexis Lalas, and Tony Meola growing up? Some but not many.

My neighbor now friend has been a US fan since 93 qualifying. That guy has cried many a times over the US team. He was a goalie so he has a Meola, Keller, Friedel, and Howard jersey. He has that cool 1994 adidas jersey with Stars

Last edited:
Inter were playing like they just didn't give a **** :lol:

I wanted my boy Hazard to at least get a goal :frown:

You were just in Europe.
:lol: true..... but my parent's paid for like half of it :lol: early graduation present :smokin
You come from a well off family, you just went to different countries in Europe like 2 weeks ago. When I used to post and lurk TAN I would read about all your adventures. From what you post, I can tell you have money.
I don't have that luxury cause I was born and raised underprivileged. Kids used to make fun of me for not speaking any English and wearing the same beat up shoes for 2 years in a row.
I was born in Dominican Republic, parents brought me and my bro to the US in 1999 to escape poverty. And guess what? 14 years in this country and we still poor, haven't made it out the hood yet but we will someday

/rant

louis, if I had the $135 to buy decent tickets for the two-day pass I would gladly go watch the games at Sun Life with you. I just don't have that bread right now :lol:
I can't go on Tuesday anyways since I work, I just want tickets for the 3rd place and championship game. I'll buy some decent seats and you pay me back :wink:

Last edited:
This is a good argument.

Understood dude but do you fault americans of jamaican descent who root for Husein Bolt over the americans in an olympic race?

Also to feel passionate about a team you gotta be invested in them. I grew up watching Argentina and Guatemala. My first live Arg gane was in 1995. My first Guate game was at the 1997 Gold Cup. Do you think many devoted US fans watched John Harkes, Tab Ramos, Alexis Lalas, and Tony Meola growing up? Some but not many.

My neighbor now friend has been a US fan since 93 qualifying. That guy has cried many a times over the US team. He was a goalie so he has a Meola, Keller, Friedel, and Howard jersey. He has that cool 1994 adidas jersey with Stars
I understand where you are coming from, especially being raised watching/being a fan of a particular team or home country (especially when that team/country is dominant, ie Usain Bolt)

I guess for me it was just a little different since from the moment we arrived in the states, my parents instilled this All-American spirit and sense of pride in me, for lack of a better term.

I don't have that luxury cause I was born and raised underprivileged. Kids used to make fun of me for not speaking any English and wearing the same beat up shoes for 2 years in a row.
I was born in Dominican Republic, parents brought me and my bro to the US in 1999 to escape poverty. And guess what? 14 years in this country and we still poor, haven't made it out the hood yet but we will someday

/rant
My man :pimp: sorry if I got you heated :lol:

You're right tho, I need to appreciate what I got more.

My pops, when he was in England for HS and college/residency, was homeless for weeks at a time and ate a chicken wing a night :lol: |I :wow: :smh:

I always forget what my fam/pops had to go thru to get me and my family where we are today |I

At the same time, looking back at my Dad's goal of getting us to America and California and what this country has afforded us, has a lot to do with the pride I have when getting the opportunity to rep the USA every chance I get.

But, I also understand where you are coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand where you are coming from, especially being raised watching/being a fan of a particular team or home country (especially when that team/country is dominant, ie Usain Bolt)

I guess for me it was just a little different since from the moment we arrived in the states, my parents instilled this All-American spirit and sense of pride in me, for lack of a better term.
My man :pimp: sorry if I got you heated :lol:

You're right tho, I need to appreciate what I got more.

My pops, when he was in England for HS and college/residency, was homeless for weeks at a time and ate a chicken wing a night :lol: |I :wow: :smh:

I always forget what my fam/pops had to go thru to get me and my family where we are today |I

At the same time, looking back at my Dad's goal of getting us to America and California and what this country has afforded us, has a lot to do with the pride I have when getting the opportunity to rep the USA every chance I get.

But, I also understand where you are coming from.

Your right. America is great.

Worked the Everton-Juventus game last night. Was on the field for the shootout and will have to admit was pretty stoked to be 15 yards away from Pirlo as he stepped up to the spot...only to miss. Was pretty busy working around the stadium and making sure post game stuff was set up but managed to snap a couple pics. Also had the chance to talk with Roberto Martinez post game, overall hes a pretty nice guy.

View media item 521876Tim Howard
View media item 521877view from the press box

As far as the teams I support...
MLS: SJ Earthquakes
Europe: Bayern Munich
When it come to national teams, my heart is torn. I'm half German/Salvadoran. Although I support Salvadoran players throughout their respective leagues I just cant find the heart to continue to support El Salvador, especially after this match fixing stuff has come up, and considering the fact the FESFUT doesnt seem to care about the national team and its success. I do however support Germany and will support the USMNT & USWNT. However it gets sticky when it comes to Brasil, I'd have to say they reign supreme over all the other teams. My first memories of watching soccer were the 1994 world cup and watching every Brasil game with my dad. Fell in love with players like Romario, Bebeto, Dunga, Taffarel. Since then I've found my self rooting for them more than any other team. I do however feel ashamed rooting for them when they play the US, but oh well.

Although this world cup has bad memories, this was probably my favorite squad.

View media item 521882

Back
Top Bottom