The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Kind of shocked. My MiL just handed me her late partner’s 1675 and told me to wear it in good health 😱

FA5F5159-083F-4363-B79D-B9B4DA686B08.jpeg
Looks to be a service bezel and replacement hands but I’m not complaining!

How do you guys get over the fear of wearing your rollie in the pool?

I got my first rolex in march but everytime i go in the pool i don't wear it. I kinda have this fear of it getting messed up or that the crown is not tight enough and water will get in it (even though the crown is as tight as it can get).

dakid23 dakid23 you didn’t grab either one?
It would be hard to leave without that Kermit and the Oyster is looking better and better in photos.

I’m on the waiting list. I wish I could have left with that Kermit.

How do you guys get over the fear of wearing your rollie in the pool?

I got my first rolex in march but everytime i go in the pool i don't wear it. I kinda have this fear of it getting messed up or that the crown is not tight enough and water will get in it (even though the crown is as tight as it can get).

I haven’t worn my Rolex in water. Back in March my wife and I vacation down in Costa Rica. There was a guy vacationing with his family that I would see at the pool bar. Fam brought at least 3 Rolexs, and would swim with them.

That’s what they’re made for. If it gets ruined I have insurance. You don’t not drive your car out of fear of it breaking down or getting into an accident. It’s just a watch. Wear it and forget about it.
Yea I got it insured too but it’s just still so new and shiny haha

At very minimum most if not all rolex watches (not sure about cellini or pearlmasters) are 100m waterproof. As long as you screw down your crown or don't try to operate the chronograph (daytona) under water your good.

I recently picked up a 116613lb. It's a 2017 and got a pretty good deal on it. This is my first ever Rolex so I'm new to the game but I have a question regarding the warranty and value. Once the warranty expires in two years will the value of the watch stay around the same area? I'm guessing it will be a little less desirable if I do decide to sell it after expiration.

I've been looking on chrono24 ones made in 2014 and prior are hovering around the 13.8k mark give of course depending on condition.
I've also read that sending it in to get polished actually brings the value down? Due to rolex taking off a thin layer. :emoji_eyes:

Attachments

• 20200829_204847.jpg
    20200829_204847.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 273
Right now the market is on a slight pause- not decline but a pause because new inventory is coming and vintage pieces have appreciated about 10-30% since March.
only money moving is dealers exchanging inventory if you research.

watches aren’t like CPO cars. If you have box and papers it’s adds value to grey dealers and those wanting a collectible set.
Right now TT rolexes are a much better value than SS. Can that change.? Yea. It’s all about the market.
Rolex specially can be broken down into three markets
The white guys on the Rolex forum who can be snobbish and prefer clean examples
The hype beast looking at SS like yeezys a few years back and the everyday person wanting one nice watch

personally speaking, I have moved about 14 five digit SS models in the last quarter and that’s where the value remains for now.
It’s a watch. Nothing more. Nothing less

those snatching up models thinking they are going to make money are more than likely gonna lose.
If you have a nice watch, wear it. Enjoy it and if it appreciates in value, it only matters if you need to sell it.

sorry for the typos. I only check in once in a blue and on my phone

And for those thinking there are deals to be made.
The average price of a 14060 in 2016 was $3,600
The average price of a 214270 last year was ~$6k
The average price of a 114060 last year was $6.5k

the prices now aren’t terrible but there’s little room up for 5 digit models and the market can’t tolerate 27k Cermits.
rolex isn’t PP and the cermit Isn’t a 5167 or 5711

Nice buy! Wear it well!

never polish it before a sale.
let the buyer decide what they want to do with it.
Noted thanks!

Appreciate the insight litflynt912 litflynt912 I bought this watch with the intention of wearing it not expecting it to go up in value. Just wanted to celebrate a few wins I had this year and have been eyeing this model since the beginning of this year. I'm new to this whole thing and the one I got does come with box and papers I made sure of that. Just wondering how the warranty situation works and how desirable or less desirable they become once it expires.

You send your Rolex to Rolex service center in Dallas or NY for service. $700-800 for a movement service and whatever parts need to be replaced. You call them. They send you the box and instructions to return the watch.
it comes with a 2 year warranty and a card. Adds value in resale. But some buyers don’t like watches that have had parts replaced. YMMV

my AD showed me all the colours they got in and they all look pretty awesome in the metal. Some a bit tackier than others though (coral and green namely) imo

I’d probably rank it (the first three have sizeable wait lists apparently).
Yellow
Turquoise
Silver
Blue
Coral
Green
Black

I ultimately wanted one that was timeless to give to my daughter in 20 years. AD was kind enough to put my daughter’s name on the warranty card.

they had a super case no date sub lying around in the case but after seeing the new one, they look like bricks.
What AD if you don't mind i ask?

i like the bracelet but i also dont have hair to pull on my wrist

i also like it that the date wheel background matched the dial, plenty of watchmakers still dont do it that way

Back
Top Bottom