the thread about nothing...

giphy.gif

At my very best I was at 65-70 words a minute but a few typos.

I'm probably well below that now a days.
when I did a test for becoming a unit clerk. managed to clock in around 40 words without typos in a warm-up session. you cannot correct yourself though since backspace is disabled. we were allowed 1 warm-up/practice session and 3 actual test sessions inorder to pass. I believe there were 13 of us in that session and some of them claimed to have worked in offices as secretaries, assistant, etc... while I am just an average person who just know how to use and type a keyboard. the passing was 30 WPM. funny thing was everyone was just doing the practice session casually including myself just to get everyone warmed up for the actual test. when the supervisor inspected our performance for the practice run and saw my score, she just told me that I passed and I can go home already much for the bewilderment of everyone else. although it made sense since there is no point of staying there for the actual test since it would be pretty much repetitive and nonsensical. I could only imagine what the rest were thinking like, they could have taken the practice run seriously and be done with it or maybe cursing me and say "damn that guy for acting like he don't care nor know what he's doing.". guess it's some form of bragging rights for schooling people that have maybe much more experience than I was.

I started like this but was using these........
these were hard,heavy and clunky. they are annoying nowadays but before they were music to the ears especially when you are typing fast.

Attachments

• hd-aspect-1499279358-keyboard-header3.jpg
    hd-aspect-1499279358-keyboard-header3.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 173
  • typew.jpg
    typew.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 318
these were hard,heavy and clunky. they are annoying nowadays but before they were music to the ears especially when you are typing fast.
Super old school, haha. I think my mom still has her og typewriter from the 70’s she bought new. It makes a buzz/humming sound when you plug it in.

Super old school, haha. I think my mom still has her og typewriter from the 70’s she bought new. It makes a buzz/humming sound when you plug it in.
having to learn the hard way has it's benefits. I hated using liquid paper back in the day so we had to become really efficient with regards to typewriting. less errors/mistakes meant the faster you could finish your work.

the transition period from typewriter to keyboard was a bit challenging though. I remembering hammering those keys and people were annoyed by it. it took some time before I could orient myself to soft-stroking the keys. I must say that my typing is still noisy but that is because I'm using a mechanical keyboard with my speed. I still would prefer tactile keys though.

Totally prefer that left one/desktop type from the 2000s-2010 to what we have now.

the transition period from typewriter to keyboard was a bit challenging though. I remembering hammering those keys and people were annoyed by it. it took some time before I could orient myself to soft-stroking the keys. I must say that my typing is still noisy but that is because I'm using a mechanical keyboard with my speed. I still would prefer tactile keys though.
Younger cats will never know that struggle, lol. I’m okay now but I don’t use keyboard being out of school and working as a house painter. Closest thing is my iPhone, haha.

having to learn the hard way has it's benefits. I hated using liquid paper back in the day so we had to become really efficient with regards to typewriting. less errors/mistakes meant the faster you could finish your work.

I share an office with a 60 something year old. He puts a hurting on the keys. Loud as all hell.

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 8.58.49 PM.png

Inviting TAN to try to beat me
I'm not getting near that :lol:
I generally type with my index fingers, with the occasional middle finger combo (without looking obviously, just to be clear) so I'm only hitting around 60-70 wpm.
When I started my current job as a Software Test Engineer, my coworkers were kinda baffled that I insist on my 2 to 4 finger typing method :lol: All of my coworkers fluently use all 10 fingers.

When I was still in school, I was hitting 70 wpm with just my 2 to 4 finger technique, which always felt most comfortable to me, so I never really saw the point in changing it.
After my lung surgery I lost control of my pinkie and ring finger on my right hand though due to the elbow positioning during a 4 hour surgery. I can't really move those fingers independently and even if I intensely focus on trying to control one of them, there's barely enough movement to press a key and I can't move them off the key fast enough to prevent it from holding down the key.

It's not something that ever hinders me in any way imo. Its only real impact is that I couldn't learn to type with 10 fingers even if I wanted to.

The keyboarding class I took in high school got my speed and accuracy up. Didn’t think much of it at the time but I definitely don’t look down when I type and I’m 80% percent accurate most of the time. I doubt schools even have keyboarding classes anymore, all these kids have been on computers and tablets since birth and don’t need it.

Back
Top Bottom