the thread about nothing...

As a gov't IT person, we hate users like you.

The reason why we don't show up is because we are busy with more important things. Yes, we know that your little failed HD is important to you, but we always have bigger fish to fry than helping one person with their computer.

If you're working with large excel files, you don't need a SSD for anything. It won't make a difference. All those large numbers that retailers and salesmen throw at you will result in maybe 30 less seconds of waiting per day. What you're working on simply isn't worth the money spent... We're better off using that SSD in a server environment before it'll ever reach your desk. Our budget is limited, so we literally have to give you the bare bones in order to cover the costs of other things -- and bare bones is usually more than enough.

We don't give users access to download things either because, as simple as you make it sound, there are probably other things that you have no idea about that are needed to make that one program work. For example, someone at my agency wanted access to a database. In order for that to happen they need to: 1. File a form for access with supervisor approval 2. Have 3 programs installed on their machine (including an Oracle DB client and a software agent) and 3. Request that our firewall allow outgoing/incoming traffic on a specific port. Most of the time, people just say "I need that one program!" and don't know everything that goes into it.

Just tell your supervisor "Hey, I can't work until they restore my data." Anything after that is on them. Enjoy the break, take a walk, read a book... But don't complain. Especially when its because the IT dept is busy with other stuff.

Yep
laugh.gif
I figured, those guys can't get anything done without permission from someone that needs permission from someone else. 
laugh.gif

Ox. Ox.

Congrats. You should totally skip the Yankee propaganda tho. Leave them outta this :wow: .
:lol: thank you!
I'll praise Jeter but everything else will be trash.

[quote name="franc" url="/t/329154/the-thread-about-nothing/254580#post_20847856"

just kidding papi. congrats.[/quote]
:lol: thank you bro!

As a gov't IT person, we hate users like you.

The reason why we don't show up is because we are busy with more important things. Yes, we know that your little failed HD is important to you, but we always have bigger fish to fry than helping one person with their computer.

If you're working with large excel files, you don't need a SSD for anything. It won't make a difference. All those large numbers that retailers and salesmen throw at you will result in maybe 30 less seconds of waiting per day. What you're working on simply isn't worth the money spent... We're better off using that SSD in a server environment before it'll ever reach your desk. Our budget is limited, so we literally have to give you the bare bones in order to cover the costs of other things -- and bare bones is usually more than enough.

We don't give users access to download things either because, as simple as you make it sound, there are probably other things that you have no idea about that are needed to make that one program work. For example, someone at my agency wanted access to a database. In order for that to happen they need to: 1. File a form for access with supervisor approval 2. Have 3 programs installed on their machine (including an Oracle DB client and a software agent) and 3. Request that our firewall allow outgoing/incoming traffic on a specific port. Most of the time, people just say "I need that one program!" and don't know everything that goes into it.

Just tell your supervisor "Hey, I can't work until they restore my data." Anything after that is on them. Enjoy the break, take a walk, read a book... But don't complain. Especially when its because the IT dept is busy with other stuff.
I hear you man i do honestly.  But i am wasting tax payer dollars today....I have 0 access to anything.  

I have an SSD on my home laptop...its not just 30 seconds a day...its almost that per application.  I wouldn't consider myself a power user but just having to open 10-12 files at a time that will run macros and export got my computers sounding like a lawn mower and constantly crashing. 

I am not sure how your contract is set up...but if i have money to give you to order me an SSD...then you can do it.  I contact our IT contractors tell them my needs and tell them i have the funding and they place the order.  But telling me I don't need it (even if i don't) shouldn't be the answer.  They replaced my hard drive already.  The cost difference although not small...compared to the overall budget that we have for IT is pennies.  

But repped for the reply.  I am mad cool with my IT guy and he tells me all the horror stories of  "it wasn't plugged in" "he asked to download from pirate bay" type stuff.  And he told me that when some one is at a stand still at work that is considered top priority.  

I miss Maui 
im going in 4 weeks!!!

Yeah man you made out like a bandit. My insurance wont cover my infected root canal replacement. My two options are either to have a full crown mold done, or put a bridge over the gap where the old tooth used to be. Either of which would cost around $1,200 and falls under oral surgery which I'm not covered for. Not even sure if I could have opted in for that or not. 

Not gonna happen B. My whole root canal situation has been a disaster, from the minute I got a hole in my tooth from getting hit in the face with a basketball.

I lost both my front teeth and had to get root canals and crowns. Made my teeth look better, but changed how I play sports (I'm not nearly as aggressive and always cautious about getting hurt.). I got elbowed under the chin today by a kid today in hockey. I was about to flip. I'm super sensitive when it comes to something like that.

Last edited:

I miss Maui 
im going in 4 weeks!!!

Yeah man you made out like a bandit. My insurance wont cover my infected root canal replacement. My two options are either to have a full crown mold done, or put a bridge over the gap where the old tooth used to be. Either of which would cost around $1,200 and falls under oral surgery which I'm not covered for. Not even sure if I could have opted in for that or not. 

Not gonna happen B. My whole root canal situation has been a disaster, from the minute I got a hole in my tooth from getting hit in the face with a basketball.
I lost both my front teeth and had to get root canals and crowns. Made my teeth look better, but changed how I play sports (I'm not nearly as aggressive and always cautious about getting hurt.). I got elbowed under the chin today by a kid today in hockey. I was about to flip. I'm super sensitive when it comes to something like that.
I had a serious concussion playing soccer when i as 11.  I went up for a header and dude headed me in the temple.  I was knocked out, apparently i was walking around and then collapsed.  I was out for about 10 seconds they said.  I don't remember the pain or anything but i have never gone up for a headder the same since.   Always found it crazy how some dudes get over injuries mentally.  Like how can Lattimore ever want to play football again

TAN's resident penguin is now a youth care worker.

love you all. I know it's cyberspace but you guys have been there for me on this crazy road more than any of my friends here at home, whether it was lols or keeping me motivated. much love y'all 
nthat.gif
Congrats! TAN flourishing
nthat.gif

Reactions: Ox.
TAN's resident penguin is now a youth care worker.
love you all. I know it's cyberspace but you guys have been there for me on this crazy road more than any of my friends here at home, whether it was lols or keeping me motivated. much love y'all :nthat:

congrats Ox

happy-penguin-o.gif

Reactions: Ox.
Back
Top Bottom