the thread about nothing...

I'm not going to argue just to argue.

I'm going to sit down and give Rhythm Nation and spin and report back. It has been ages.

Janet is also coming off the bench on my 90's team.
This is my last post about this cuz I don't wanna make this the music forum but this person summed it up better than me..

"Michael Jackson was making albums full of singles on a quest to clearly body the game. ****, Thriller was supposed to be exactly what it was, the biggest album of all time. But it wasn’t a concept album, or a theme album. The entire purpose of Thriller was largesse. Quincy Jones, Rod Temperton, and MJ set out to create the greatest collection of singles ever created. Bobby Brown’s Don’t Be Cruel followed the same format to a scaled back version of the Thriller success; make the biggest records possible and do it like you’re doing it for TV. Well, Off The Wallis similar, and while not selling as much asThriller, it sold a gazillion copies. Same with Bad and Dangerous, which each spawned HUGE chart hits. All great albums in their own right, but mostly single driven works.

Janet on the other hand clearly sat down with her producers, mostly Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and decided to craft themes that could also create some similarly huge sounding records. Which she did tremendously, except they weren’t all justpop singles, there are mood records and transition records and down-tempo records. She created full albums. And most importantly, they actually SOUND better than Michael’s. There’s more feeling and mood to them.

To be clear, I realize Michael had different tempo songs on each of his albums, especially on post-Bad albums that are less poppy and more “artsy”, but even those albums aren’t as good as Janet’s four albums following Dream Street.

While Janet can’t touch Michael in terms of popularity and sales-amazing considering how huge of an artists she was in her own right-the quality of her albums, if you give them objective listens, is better than Michael’s. On any given day I’d rather listen to The Velvet Rope instead of Thriller. Off The Wall is my favorite MJ album, but I think that Janet is better, and I’ve often been at odds whether I think Rhythm Nationor Janet is better."

I agree 100% with that
So spent yesterday and today listening to these 4 albums.

And while grooving to Rhythm Nation concocting plans to go with a high top fade, cop a herringbone chain and a 4 finger ring almost buying into this album at least possibly being on par with Thriller, it smacked me hard in the face why it's not.

It's stuck in a era. It's an outstanding album for the era. But it is not what one would call timeless. Thriller's music, top to bottom, is. And we won't get into how Mike's a better singer.

That said, I have like 3 more points to make:
1) my pops wasn't in my life with much frequency, but he was always renting movies from blockbuster and dubbing them for us. He gave us a tape with Crooklyn, another movie i cant remember at this time, and the tape finished off with all of Janet Jackson's music videos from this album (and Janet). Big time childhood memory...almost brought the feels at work.

2) Starting from track 8. Miss You Much through track 16. Black Cat...******* smash hit of an R&B album...classic material. And honestly the social commentary tracks are pretty damn good too.

3) It's probably on par with Off The Wall...still not sure. I'd say Bad is better. But I did gain a new respect for Rhythm Nation.

Breakfast
20190716_233304.jpg

Elon Musk out here trying to merge man and ai via brain implants..
The only AI that ever mattered to me...
74334778_8.jpg

So spent yesterday and today listening to these 4 albums...

Everything you said after this was absolutely blasphemous. I attribute your love for Janet’s album to pure childhood nostalgia and nothing more. That album is “stuck” as well but you don’t recognize it.

Edit: Let me add that a much MUCH better album than Rhythm Nation is this one right here (same era and style)

Don%2527t%2BBe%2BCruel.jpg

The only AI that ever mattered to me...
74334778_8.jpg

Everything you said after this was absolutely blasphemous. I attribute your love for Janet’s album to pure childhood nostalgia and nothing more. That album is “stuck” as well but you don’t recognize it.

Edit: Let me add that a much MUCH better album than Rhythm Nation is this one right here (same era and style)

Don%2527t%2BBe%2BCruel.jpg
Not sure I understand your critique? I said Rhyhtm Nation is stuck in its era where as Thriller is timeless?

Man.
I could use some decent headphones, esp those ideal for em lo-fi vibing work sessions. Sub $150, wireless with wired option if possible.
Even better if on this primo thing Amazon got running.

Thee thots kill me man.

Post pic half naked showing no muscle.

Caption: STRONG

Half of these thots probably haven't posed without an anterior tilt in decades.

The true point isn't to show strength, there's just an excuse to post themselves with a lot of skin showing.

I need some good movies or series to watch. i'm drawing a blank though. feels like I've seen everything on Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom