the thread about nothing...

I'm at an interesting crossroads right now and I figured I'd run it by NT:

Currently working as a critical care RN at a local hospital. I make ~$85K/year, get good benefits, work my 37.5 hours/week (three 12.5 hr shifts/week, alternating weekends and holidays), go home, and live my personal life uninterrupted. My daily workload is manageable, I have opportunities for advancement, and I feel like I'm constantly learning new things. I'm well-liked by peers, subordinates, and superiors. I get praise from my manager, educator, and more experienced RNs about my performance. There are a few people there that are thorns in my side, but nothing worse than what I've experienced at any other job. The downside is that I feel closely monitored/judged in my current spot and management seems to be somewhat punitive. I like the accountability because it keeps everyone in check, but there's always a feeling of uneasiness because you never know when you might be under the microscope if you happen to slip up. I'm also afforded no special treatment and sick/personal time is very much scrutinized no matter how warranted. RNs make up the majority of the workforce at the hospital (unsurprisingly), and I'm basically just another cog in the wheel. High-level management would say "...wait who?" if my name was brought up, and I can't decide whether I like that or if I don't.

I left my previous job almost a year and a half ago and there have been shake-ups in management. The current Director of Nursing is leaving, and the current Assistant Director (my Educator at the time) is taking over as Director. She was told by the head Administrator that she'll have her choice as to who she wants to be her Assistant Director. My mom is still an employee there, albeit in a different department, and was approached by the new Director saying that she didn't want to ask any of the current employees to be her Assistant Director and that I was the only person she would trust to take the role. She gave my mom her personal phone number, which she then provided to me. The job would be ~$30K pay increase, slightly worse benefits, but also would be 8-4 with no weekends or holidays. I'm well-known by all higher-ups at this facility and basically considered the golden child. I used to come back to work per diem shifts and the head Administrator would always find ways to jokingly (but lowkey seriously) ask me to come back full-time. I would be in an environment where just about everything I'd be doing would be accepted and appreciated by the people that have influence. I know everyone and I know the ropes there. The downside is that one of the main reasons I left said facility was that I was sick of being responsible for every other incompetent person around me. I managed the busiest unit that was responsible for the sickest patients and I would be fielding complaints about the aides, housekeepers, dietary, doctors, etc. I felt more like a politician than an RN most of the time. Adding to this, I wouldn't be able to disconnect from the job the same way I'm able to at my current job. I would be on call a decent amount of time and if **** hit the fan I would be expected to drop what I was doing and show up for a shift. The thing that has me seriously contemplating the offer is that the person taking over the Director role is WAY more organized and task-oriented than the previous Director. The old Director swept everything under the rug and gave the "I'll look into that" answer to every grievance and would never do so. She didn't take anything seriously, so problems would build up until the whole thing blew up in everyone's face. I'm optimistic that the new Director will hold herself and everyone else around her much more accountable and create a culture that fosters doing the right things for the right reasons. The facility also belongs to a major corporate entity, so moving up the corporate ladder is a very real possibility.

Gave the new Director a call today and told her I was happy with where I'm at, but not opposed to hearing her out/fielding offers. She's gonna be on vacation all next week, so I told her I'd go back next week to work a per diem shift since I haven't been there in over 6 months to feel it out/see the changes (I've basically been given an open invite to work there whenever I have the time). Told her I'd see how I felt about the experience, sleep on it, then get back to her.

I'm at a spot in my career where I'm basically paralyzed by choice. I've found out I can handle the heaviest/most skill-driven aspect of the profession, but often wonder if that's the type of stress I want to put myself through in the long-haul. I like what I do, but working the bedside can be exhausting on every level. I'm trying to soak everything in right now in order to make the most informed decision, but I wouldn't mind the input of others and stories of their experiences to help guide me through this.

upload_2019-5-3_17-23-2.gif

I'm at an interesting crossroads right now and I figured I'd run it by NT:

Currently working as a critical care RN at a local hospital. I make ~$85K/year, get good benefits, work my 37.5 hours/week (three 12.5 hr shifts/week, alternating weekends and holidays), go home, and live my personal life uninterrupted. My daily workload is manageable, I have opportunities for advancement, and I feel like I'm constantly learning new things. I'm well-liked by peers, subordinates, and superiors. I get praise from my manager, educator, and more experienced RNs about my performance. There are a few people there that are thorns in my side, but nothing worse than what I've experienced at any other job. The downside is that I feel closely monitored/judged in my current spot and management seems to be somewhat punitive. I like the accountability because it keeps everyone in check, but there's always a feeling of uneasiness because you never know when you might be under the microscope if you happen to slip up. I'm also afforded no special treatment and sick/personal time is very much scrutinized no matter how warranted. RNs make up the majority of the workforce at the hospital (unsurprisingly), and I'm basically just another cog in the wheel. High-level management would say "...wait who?" if my name was brought up, and I can't decide whether I like that or if I don't.

I left my previous job almost a year and a half ago and there have been shake-ups in management. The current Director of Nursing is leaving, and the current Assistant Director (my Educator at the time) is taking over as Director. She was told by the head Administrator that she'll have her choice as to who she wants to be her Assistant Director. My mom is still an employee there, albeit in a different department, and was approached by the new Director saying that she didn't want to ask any of the current employees to be her Assistant Director and that I was the only person she would trust to take the role. She gave my mom her personal phone number, which she then provided to me. The job would be ~$30K pay increase, slightly worse benefits, but also would be 8-4 with no weekends or holidays. I'm well-known by all higher-ups at this facility and basically considered the golden child. I used to come back to work per diem shifts and the head Administrator would always find ways to jokingly (but lowkey seriously) ask me to come back full-time. I would be in an environment where just about everything I'd be doing would be accepted and appreciated by the people that have influence. I know everyone and I know the ropes there. The downside is that one of the main reasons I left said facility was that I was sick of being responsible for every other incompetent person around me. I managed the busiest unit that was responsible for the sickest patients and I would be fielding complaints about the aides, housekeepers, dietary, doctors, etc. I felt more like a politician than an RN most of the time. Adding to this, I wouldn't be able to disconnect from the job the same way I'm able to at my current job. I would be on call a decent amount of time and if **** hit the fan I would be expected to drop what I was doing and show up for a shift. The thing that has me seriously contemplating the offer is that the person taking over the Director role is WAY more organized and task-oriented than the previous Director. The old Director swept everything under the rug and gave the "I'll look into that" answer to every grievance and would never do so. She didn't take anything seriously, so problems would build up until the whole thing blew up in everyone's face. I'm optimistic that the new Director will hold herself and everyone else around her much more accountable and create a culture that fosters doing the right things for the right reasons. The facility also belongs to a major corporate entity, so moving up the corporate ladder is a very real possibility.

Gave the new Director a call today and told her I was happy with where I'm at, but not opposed to hearing her out/fielding offers. She's gonna be on vacation all next week, so I told her I'd go back next week to work a per diem shift since I haven't been there in over 6 months to feel it out/see the changes (I've basically been given an open invite to work there whenever I have the time). Told her I'd see how I felt about the experience, sleep on it, then get back to her.

I'm at a spot in my career where I'm basically paralyzed by choice. I've found out I can handle the heaviest/most skill-driven aspect of the profession, but often wonder if that's the type of stress I want to put myself through in the long-haul. I like what I do, but working the bedside can be exhausting on every level. I'm trying to soak everything in right now in order to make the most informed decision, but I wouldn't mind the input of others and stories of their experiences to help guide me through this.

Black Market Organ sales are up currently. I would ride it out till you get in a position where you can harvest without being under scrutiny by your co-workers and higher ups. Also the illegal pharmaceutical sales market is always open to new salesmen in the workforce and has flexible hours as to not interfere with the organ harvesting/RN work. I wish you luck on your journey into independent wealth and success. You have to go for your dreams if you want to see them materialize.

Back
Top Bottom