The Tesla Motors Appreciation Thread

Like I said about the instant torque, peep the acceleration:

Not trying to derail the thread because I like the Model S, but the driver of the M5 should be ashamed of that launch
sick.gif
mean.gif
.  I blame the driver for that loss, you could see how quick the M5 was when he finally figured out what to do.  Either way, the speed of the Tesla surprised me
pimp.gif
, couldn't take it over an M5 though...

Not trying to derail the thread because I like the Model S, but the driver of the M5 should be ashamed of that launch
sick.gif
mean.gif
.  I blame the driver for that loss, you could see how quick the M5 was when he finally figured out what to do.  Either way, the speed of the Tesla surprised me
pimp.gif
, couldn't take it over an M5 though...
I don't think it's the driver, it's honestly the cars. The Model S is all electric. That means instant power. The M5 is a regular car. That means you have to drive up your RPMs and most of the power is coming off the top end. That's why it took so long for the M5 to gain ground on the Tesla. 

The base model's battery will get you 230 miles, the mid and upper tier getting you 300 miles per full charge. Is anyone really approaching that many miles in a day? Hell, a week?

I drive about 15ish miles to work M-F. 30 round trip, 150 per week. Depending on weekend activities, that's like one charge per week. This is ultimately a non issue IMO unless one plans to take it on long road trips.

Not trying to derail the thread because I like the Model S, but the driver of the M5 should be ashamed of that launch :x :smh: .  I blame the driver for that loss, you could see how quick the M5 was when he finally figured out what to do.  Either way, the speed of the Tesla surprised me :pimp: , couldn't take it over an M5 though...
I don't think it's the driver, it's honestly the cars. The Model S is all electric. That means instant power. The M5 is a regular car. That means you have to drive up your RPMs and most of the power is coming off the top end. That's why it took so long for the M5 to gain ground on the Tesla. 

If that's the case then the Tesla should've won 3/3 races not 2/3. What you're saying makes sense, but the launch control on the M5 should've gotten it off the line quicker. Looks like the driver just put his foot down on the gas when he saw the Tesla start to move...

The base model's battery will get you 230 miles, the mid and upper tier getting you 300 miles per full charge. Is anyone really approaching that many miles in a day? Hell, a week?

I drive about 15ish miles to work M-F. 30 round trip, 150 per week. Depending on weekend activities, that's like one charge per week. This is ultimately a non issue IMO unless one plans to take it on long road trips.

I think that the charge depletes if the car just sits there overnight so you lose a few miles but not a whole lot. 300 miles on one charge is still like driving an older camry with a 15 gallon tank capacity.

Tesla is definitely the pioneer company when it comes to electric vehicles. I'd give it a few years and once its perfected it will be able to destroy a corvette everyday and twice on Sundays. Which makes me a bit sad.

Would this be a good replacement for a Prius?

Prius is pretty much my dream car but I'm wondering if Tesla is on that next ****.

Would this be a good replacement for a Prius?

Prius is pretty much my dream car but I'm wondering if Tesla is on that next ****.
Now there's something you don't see everyday.

But seriously, if I had the racks (and a garage) I'd definitely cop a Model S. And I'm not even into big body, full-sized sedans.

Model S :pimp:

It will be about a decade or more before Tesla's are viable for the masses. Hell the battery industry will collapse under the electric car thing until a new easier to make battery is made or a super recycling method is made.

In the Bay Area, Teslas are almost as common as Accords/Camrys. Ok that's an exaggeration, but I see a TON of them around Palo Alto and SJ on a daily basis while I'm driving to work

Last edited:
My Tesla. Base price is now starting around 63k I believe since they stopped making 40kw models. Charging isn't an issue depending on where you live. If you live in California then you have plenty of options but once you move to the Midwest and east coast the charging network isn't as readily available yet.View media item 723878

Musk wants to put out an EV GTI-killer.... in theory, the battery would need to put out less power in a small car so it's have a better range....

In the Bay Area, Teslas are almost as common as Accords/Camrys. Ok that's an exaggeration, but I see a TON of them around Palo Alto and SJ on a daily basis while I'm driving to work

I see a ton in the bay too and I live in Fairfield. Dude in my neighborhood has one :lol:

They are everywhere now. One of my friends just picked up one as a Christmas gift to himself.

My Tesla. Base price is now starting around 63k I believe since they stopped making 40kw models. Charging isn't an issue depending on where you live. If you live in California then you have plenty of options but once you move to the Midwest and east coast the charging network isn't as readily available yet.View media item 723878

Don't mean to be in your business but how does one charge it?

They set up a station in your crib or is it as
Simple as plugin it into your wall?

They having stations in public / areas ?

Thanks.

Don't mean to be in your business but how does one charge it?

They set up a station in your crib or is it as
Simple as plugin it into your wall?

They having stations in public / areas ?

Thanks.

No problem broski.

The cheapest but slowest way to charge is to just plug it into a regular 110v outlet you have in your house. You'll only receive about 4 miles per hour of charge.

The next step up is a NEMA 14-50 outlet which is what they have at RV parks or already installed in some homes. You can install one yourself if your electric panel can spare the extra 40 amps it needs. The outlet you can find at Lowes or Home Depot for about $5-10 or you can have an electrician install it. Prices range from $100-500 to have an electrician install one. With the 40 amp circuit you'll charge at a rate of 30 miles per hour. The fastest at home charging is if you bought the high power wall charger with twin chargers on your vehicle. An electrician can install it for about $1000 and you need to have an extra 100 amps or have more added to your electric panel. With that you'll charge at a rate of 60 miles per hour.

There's also chargepoint chargers out at malls or other public places. Some are free, paid for by the city or even at car dealerships which you can use for free. Others you have to pay.

Now if your Model S has the supercharger enabled you can visit any Tesla supercharger and charge for free and it'll charge at crazy rates since they can handle a lot more power.

Many people on here are misguided about the supercharger's use. They aren't intended for daily charging. If you keep charging at higher rates you'll wear out the battery much quicker. They are only for use if you are doing long distance travel. If I wanted to travel from LA to SF I'd use the superchargers. But if I wanted to travel from the east side of LA to the west side of LA I shouldn't be using the superchargers because it isn't necessary.

Also, the range is exaggerated in here. The highest battery pack provides up to 265 miles of rated range. That doesn't necessarily mean you can drive 265 miles. Driving uphill will eat more of the battery as well as driving past 55 miles on the highway.

I see those charging stations popping up like crazy around here. Hour cars and such can use them too. So they'll be all over really quick if you live in any major city I'd assume.

Back
Top Bottom