The RETRO Gaming Thread!

D96xv1KXoAE09Q3.jpeg

D96xv1DWsAAsKpA.jpeg

D96xv1DXoAIlFHK.jpeg

D96xv1EX4AEgN_L.jpeg

I’m trying to think. Which had the better launch…PS2 or Dreamcast?

Won’t lie the hype was high on the PS2. Especially when they dropped that Metal Gear Solid 2 trailer. And then it was crazy that GTA3 just exploded out of no where.

Ridge Racer 5. Madden. Tekken Tag. SSX. Time Splitters. Street Fighter EX3. Fantavision. On PS2.

Not a bad launch. But NFL 2K, Soul Calibur, Ready to Rumble, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, etc. Probably the better launch line up on Dreamcast.

I imagine the Dreamcast had the better launch in most people's eyes.

I really loved me some Tekken Tag though. Finally getting that game at home was a big deal to me.

I remember playing this back in the DOS era. cool game during that time since we were pretty limited as far a pc gaming goes.

Looking back in hindsight at those catalog pages, considering how far video games have come....

I have to concede, our parent(s) were right. Those games were too expensive :lol:

Looking back, its wild to think that some snes games sold for $69.99 at launch. Adjusting for inflation, those games would go for around $120-130 today :wow:

A lot of times is was JRPGs selling that high. Phantasy Star 4 was $100 at launch. That or something that required extra memory like Strider on the Genesis.

It's funny buying a Sega Genesis Collection now and thinking what that would have cost back in the day.
Most of the time it was cartridge memory. Strider was the first 8-meg cart. Street Fighter II was the first 16-meg. And then it just kept climbing from there for big AAA titles like FF III, Chrono Trigger, MK II, NBA Jam, Virtua Racing (which cost $100 bucks if I recall). PSIV was probably due to cartridge memory. Dope game. Rented it.

Cartridge memory was why a lot of game companies went PSOne versus N64. Imagine how much FF7 would’ve cost on cartridge. Obviously, N64 had the better tech. But you want AAA, you paying or the company is eating it.

That’s why it was wild the Neo-Geo lasted as long as it did. They were wilding with those 300+ Meg games.

The box art for this is so clean :smokin
I have one PS1 Crash game and it has a 3D prism cover you slide over the manual/cover. Pretty neat how far they went for that franchise’s covers.

Looking back, its wild to think that some snes games sold for $69.99 at launch. Adjusting for inflation, those games would go for around $120-130 today :wow:
Crazy! Yeah bro, I got one to two games per year during my childhood. Everything else was rented, lol. Now I don’t feel bad for owning so many cartridge games today, picked up most for $1-$2 before the masses caught on to old games.

Crazy! Yeah bro, I got one to two games per year during my childhood. Everything else was rented, lol. Now I don’t feel bad for owning so many cartridge games today, picked up most for $1-$2 before the masses caught on to old games.
Def rented so many games back in the day. Miss going to blockbuster on a friday night and being able to play a game the whole weekend :smokin

Back
Top Bottom