The RETRO Gaming Thread!

My brother had a friend who invited us over once...dude had tons of bootleg PS1 and Dreamcast games. I don’t think I spotted any retail purchased games, lots of Memorex :lol:

Electronics vendors at the flea markets put their kids through college with PS1 modchip installations. :lol:

Legitimately believe that SONY turned a blind eye on PS1 piracy so that they could get a solid foothold with hardware sales. Also helped them that SEGA folded early with the Saturn and Nintendo had a limited and expensive game library with the N64.

True story TURBO UNO TURBO UNO but I picked up a used DC from my boy in '01 and the guy had 2 original games and 100+ CDRs. :smh::smh::smh:

Thankfully one of the original games was Skies of Arcadia. :pimp::pimp::pimp:

The rampant piracy killed it. Once you had self booting pirated CD-Rs it was a wrap.

I agree I think it was a huge factor, interestingly enough they didn't even touch that topic in the videos above.

Last edited:
Electronics vendors at the flea markets put their kids through college with PS1 modchip installations. :lol:

Legitimately believe that SONY turned a blind eye on PS1 piracy so that they could get a solid foothold with hardware sales. Also helped them that SEGA folded early with the Saturn and Nintendo had a limited and expensive game library with the N64.

True story TURBO UNO TURBO UNO but I picked up a used DC from my boy in '01 and the guy had 2 original games and 100+ CDRs. :smh::smh::smh:

Thankfully one of the original games was Skies of Arcadia. :pimp::pimp::pimp:

All facts! Hahaha

Good thing you got a couple of real joints with that set. Was the system in beater condition or was it clean? I usually see these systems in poor shape with stickers everywhere.

I think not being a DVD player was another thing that killed the Dreamcast too.

Yes and no. DVD was still in its infancy in '99 when the DC launched. Plus SEGA was aggressive with the pricing vs. the PS2 and Xbox which had a DVD player.

FWIW GC wasn't as popular as PS2 or perhaps the XBox but game developers were safe with the Nintendo optical discs.

As a game developer it was a wrap for you with the Dreamcast. No physical modchips and games that could be ripped onto CD-Rs. :smh::smh::smh:

All facts! Hahaha

Good thing you got a couple of real joints with that set. Was the system in beater condition or was it clean? I usually see these systems in poor shape with stickers everywhere.

The system was surprisingly clean my G and I've had it in my possession for the past 18 years. Took it apart recently to give it a good cleaning and put some lithium grease on the GD-Rom gears. :pimp::pimp::pimp:

Such a compact machine, only about 4 or 5 Philips head screws. :nthat::nthat::nthat:

DD4F973B-C3E5-4412-85D0-5EA153DA08E8.jpeg

Anyone remember the PS1 mod where you had to leave the disc cover open when you turn it on, or sometimes you had to tilt the whole thing. That ruined our PS1 after a while :lol:
I just bought The Japanese PS1 and PS2. You could "do your thing" on either with no tricks.

Looking back on it, shame on me for adding to the downfall of that system but I didn't have my own money at the time.

NBA 2K Series wouldn't work as burned copies for some reason, so I had the real versions of those. Everything else........yea, you know.

Anyone remember the PS1 mod where you had to leave the disc cover open when you turn it on, or sometimes you had to tilt the whole thing. That ruined our PS1 after a while :lol:

Haha, yeah, I had a mod similar to that for my PS1 to play the JPN version of DB GT: Final Bout. Came with a gameshark type device and a small spring that I had to put in so the system would think the cover was closed while oepn. Couldn't read a single thing in the game and definitely thought I was doing it by having an imported game but a few years later, they released it in the US :lol:.

Also had a similar mod for Guitar Hero 2 on PS2. There was a way to make the disc stop spinning and have the slot eject to insert another disc mid loading screen or something. Then you put in another disc with the mods and it kept going as normal. Definitely killed my PS2 after a while.

The system was surprisingly clean my G and I've had it in my possession for the past 18 years. Took it apart recently to give it a good cleaning and put some lithium grease on the GD-Rom gears. :pimp::pimp::pimp:

Such a compact machine, only about 4 or 5 Philips head screws. :nthat::nthat::nthat:

Dope :smokin

I do that too with most of my consoles, even the doubles. Oh wait, not the GameCube. That one is a real pain so I’m intimidated by it.

Turbo Mini

They'd have to add some games but the original Bonk's Adventure for sure!!!
A glaring omission.

No Legendary Axe's either....
And where tf is Splatterhouse? lol

I like the idea but can't even consider it with that game line-up.
Some classics on there tho

I posted a better line-up of games a couple pages back than what's in the trailer.

Back
Top Bottom