The only Dirk Nowitzki stopper in the history of NBA

Gon be interesting to see who tries to stop Dirk. The Mavs have a better supporting cast so as soon as they double down, he's kickin out for an open jump shooter. He's hungry this time around. I don't think he's gon let Miami beat him again. Remember how Miami had the whole vendetta against Boston, well this man feels the same way about them.

Originally Posted by f3DJam

Tmac sonned Dirk that series.

And you guys are kidding me if you think LeBron cant contain Dirk. Dirk is a great player but Bron is more physical, stronger, quicker, and just overall way more athletic. He will hold Dirk.

Mavs gotta worry about what else they can do. If Rose was contained what is JKidds old self and the other gourds gonna do.

It doesn't matter. Ibaka is stronger, quicker, and more athletic too. Hell, Dirk couldn't even penetrate Collison. He is not really trying to blow past you. He's going to get to his spot and get his shot off, regardless.  Whoever guards him is going to have a tough time avoiding foul trouble too because he likes to get to his spot, show/sell the shot fake while readjusting, and if you jump he can either jump into you or just lean back and shoot over you.

And Rose and Kidd are playing too completely different styles for their team so that's not even a fair comparison. Mavs just have shooters everywhere, and those dudes hit contested shots. It's going to be tough

And you guys are kidding me if you think LeBron cant contain Dirk. Dirk is a great player but Bron is more physical, stronger, quicker, and just overall way more athletic. He will hold Dirk.

Mavs gotta worry about what else they can do. If Rose was contained what is JKidds old self and the other gourds gonna do.

It doesn't matter. Ibaka is stronger, quicker, and more athletic too. Hell, Dirk couldn't even penetrate Collison. He is not really trying to blow past you. He's going to get to his spot and get his shot off, regardless.  Whoever guards him is going to have a tough time avoiding foul trouble too because he likes to get to his spot, show/sell the shot fake while readjusting, and if you jump he can either jump into you or just lean back and shoot over you.

And Rose and Kidd are playing too completely different styles for their team so that's not even a fair comparison. Mavs just have shooters everywhere, and those dudes hit contested shots. It's going to be tough

Originally Posted by MHT214

Bruce Bowen; the single person that would get underneath his skin...

They went to the NBA finals because Bowen couldn't guard Dirk though, and so Manu came over to help and committed the stupidest foul in WCF history.

Dirk has really exorcised his demons as far as being able to shut down by smalls, and there was also a day even prior where you could challenge his manhood and shut him down. I still remember bums like Uncle Cliffy (Clifford Robinson) and Greg Foster locking Dirk up just by hard fouling him and talking !$$+ in the 1st quarter on some bully steez and Dirk didn't even want the ball for the rest of the game. But again, have to give him credit, that day is long gone, especially ever since he destroyed KMart in that Nugget's series.

They went to the NBA finals because Bowen couldn't guard Dirk though, and so Manu came over to help and committed the stupidest foul in WCF history.

Dirk has really exorcised his demons as far as being able to shut down by smalls, and there was also a day even prior where you could challenge his manhood and shut him down. I still remember bums like Uncle Cliffy (Clifford Robinson) and Greg Foster locking Dirk up just by hard fouling him and talking !$$+ in the 1st quarter on some bully steez and Dirk didn't even want the ball for the rest of the game. But again, have to give him credit, that day is long gone, especially ever since he destroyed KMart in that Nugget's series.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

T-Mac was on his way to becoming a great defender when he was with the Raptors, but as soon as he came to Orlando, it was all offense from then on.

laugh.gif
this is true
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

T-Mac was on his way to becoming a great defender when he was with the Raptors, but as soon as he came to Orlando, it was all offense from then on.

laugh.gif
this is true
laugh.gif

Unless Lebron magically grows 4 inches in the next 3 days none of that matters

Unless Lebron magically grows 4 inches in the next 3 days none of that matters

Would LeBron guard Kevin Garnett? Tim Duncan? LaMarcus Aldridge?

Even then, Dirk is more crafty than all of those guys. Bron an leap all he wants, he still isn't reaching Dirk's shot.

Even then, Dirk is more crafty than all of those guys. Bron an leap all he wants, he still isn't reaching Dirk's shot.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

All three of them have TOTALLY different games than Dirk though.  LeBron is actually far more similar to the smaller defenders that have shut down Dirk before.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

All three of them have TOTALLY different games than Dirk though.  LeBron is actually far more similar to the smaller defenders that have shut down Dirk before.

In the playoffs so far Dirk has been guarded primarily by:

Gerald Wallace
Nic Batum
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom
Serge Ibaka
Nick Collison

The stat sheet won't reflect it but Collison did the best job. He battled Dirk as best as anyone could do 1 on 1. I do think LeBron will be the toughest test for Dirk because of his strength. If LeBron can keep Dirk from posting up at his hot spots on the floor then that's already half the battle in guarding Dirk. You also want to force Dirk into being a passer. Obviously that's what everyone says but watching Dirk for years, he's improved as a passer but he still tends to force a lot of bad passes. When it's a simple double team and easy kick-out to the open man, Dirk can do that. But when you make Dirk start to over-think his passes, that's when the defense can get a stop. You saw it at the end of the OKC game 5, there was a possession late in the game where it was a broken play and everyone was confused, Dirk was driving baseline halfheartedly and ended up forcing a terrible pass in traffic to Terry in the corner that ended up getting deflected and they were lucky it wasn't a turnover.

Dirk is too good that you probably won't be able to shut him down for an entire game much less a series anymore but I think that's the best any defense can do to get some stops during crunch time.

In the playoffs so far Dirk has been guarded primarily by:

Gerald Wallace
Nic Batum
Ron Artest
Lamar Odom
Serge Ibaka
Nick Collison

The stat sheet won't reflect it but Collison did the best job. He battled Dirk as best as anyone could do 1 on 1. I do think LeBron will be the toughest test for Dirk because of his strength. If LeBron can keep Dirk from posting up at his hot spots on the floor then that's already half the battle in guarding Dirk. You also want to force Dirk into being a passer. Obviously that's what everyone says but watching Dirk for years, he's improved as a passer but he still tends to force a lot of bad passes. When it's a simple double team and easy kick-out to the open man, Dirk can do that. But when you make Dirk start to over-think his passes, that's when the defense can get a stop. You saw it at the end of the OKC game 5, there was a possession late in the game where it was a broken play and everyone was confused, Dirk was driving baseline halfheartedly and ended up forcing a terrible pass in traffic to Terry in the corner that ended up getting deflected and they were lucky it wasn't a turnover.

Dirk is too good that you probably won't be able to shut him down for an entire game much less a series anymore but I think that's the best any defense can do to get some stops during crunch time.

Lebron would get 3 fouls by the mid of second quarter if he were to guard Dirk . I think they will use Big Z on Dirk

Lebron would get 3 fouls by the mid of second quarter if he were to guard Dirk . I think they will use Big Z on Dirk

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I would say a combination of these guys:

2006 NBA Finals:

Game 1: Joe Crawford, Joe DeRosa, Bennett Salvatore
Game 2: Bob Delaney, Steve Javie, Eddie F. Rush

Game 3: Dan Crawford, Ken Mauer, Jack Nies
Game 4: **** Bavetta, Mike Callahan, Bernie Fryer
Game 5: Joe Crawford, Joe DeRosa, Bennett Salvatore
Game 6: Dan Crawford, Steve Javie, Eddie F. Rush

The Mavs won those games Genius. 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I would say a combination of these guys:

2006 NBA Finals:

Game 1: Joe Crawford, Joe DeRosa, Bennett Salvatore
Game 2: Bob Delaney, Steve Javie, Eddie F. Rush

Game 3: Dan Crawford, Ken Mauer, Jack Nies
Game 4: **** Bavetta, Mike Callahan, Bernie Fryer
Game 5: Joe Crawford, Joe DeRosa, Bennett Salvatore
Game 6: Dan Crawford, Steve Javie, Eddie F. Rush

The Mavs won those games Genius. 
smile.gif

laugh.gif
at kevin garnett owning dirk when he was in minnesota; garnett was the better player at that time, but by no means did he own dirk.. i always thought dirk did really well against star power fowards the majority of his career.

bruce bowen is one of the better defenders i have seen play dirk.. along with stephen jackson.

dirk's game has evolved since all of that though.. you can't really stop dirk, you just gotta make it tough for him.

to be honest, i would try out bosh on dirk first before i put lebron on him.

laugh.gif
at kevin garnett owning dirk when he was in minnesota; garnett was the better player at that time, but by no means did he own dirk.. i always thought dirk did really well against star power fowards the majority of his career.

bruce bowen is one of the better defenders i have seen play dirk.. along with stephen jackson.

dirk's game has evolved since all of that though.. you can't really stop dirk, you just gotta make it tough for him.

to be honest, i would try out bosh on dirk first before i put lebron on him.

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Dirk didnt "go off" until game 3 and beyond. Up to that point Stackhouse and Terry were carrying us. He did start making an impact though, right after...and as far as double teaming him that was due to the situation (last few seconds of the game) that could of easily been the Spurs game had Dirk not gotten fouled...shoot probably ring # 5 for the Spurs...but i digress, i definitely remember those days though, where some trash talking along with some physical play would just throw Dirk all of his game...

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

Dirk didnt "go off" until game 3 and beyond. Up to that point Stackhouse and Terry were carrying us. He did start making an impact though, right after...and as far as double teaming him that was due to the situation (last few seconds of the game) that could of easily been the Spurs game had Dirk not gotten fouled...shoot probably ring # 5 for the Spurs...but i digress, i definitely remember those days though, where some trash talking along with some physical play would just throw Dirk all of his game...

Back
Top Bottom