The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Victor Wemby Invitational)

Ons' knee is a bit messed right now, so she's def not 100%.

At this point, Elena and maybe Coco, I guess? Top half of the draw is wide open.

Yeah, it was kind of wishful thinking on my part that Ons would make a deep run this year, but I feel like she has been playing better as of late. Still hoping Wimbledon will be the major she wins one day.

I'm not sold on Coco on grass, but this is definitely her best shot to win it. It's pretty weird to think she never made it past the third round until now... I think her next match against Navarro could potentially be a tough one.

Last edited:
TBH, the bottom half looks super weak for the ladies. I think Kalinskaya could be a dark horse to win it all - especially if her fitness holds up. She always tends to get gassed or pickups a nagging injury the longer she stays in tournaments.

Gonna be rooting for Danielle though. "Ka-MON!"

Damn, Emma R... I was really pulling for you!
But looks like Lulu is having an Emma-esque run like in '21!

Emma N., meanwhile... 😮

I'd be happy to see Emma Navarro get to the final, but something like a Poots vs. Lulu Sun final wouldn't be shocking to see by WTA standards. 😅

Tough luck for Maddie and Grigor both having to retire after getting injured. Maddie's injury happened while she was serving for the match. 🙁

What were their injuries? I have no idea what happened.

Emma R. also had an injury scare... slid and buckled her knee & ankle and might have tweaked her back... but was able to continue.

Grigor had slipped and injured his leg/groin area. He left the court for a MTO and tried to continue the match, but just couldn't play.

Maddie seemed to have tweaked something in her left leg. It felt like a bit of a freak injury since she was pushing off with her right leg while returning. She skipped press, so no idea what exactly the issue was.

She doesn’t have that dawg in her
Unfortunately that is looking to be the case. Coco has all of the talent but she hasn’t taken the next step like I thought she would after the US Open last year. She isn’t losing to randoms like Sloane but Sloane’s fall has been gradual. She went from probably getting the French Open title to barely relevant anymore. Coco has to get that mentality in a hurry if she wants to rack up more slams

I wouldn’t say quite yet :lol: . I forget Sloane is even still on tour. Just out there losing to randoms too :smh:
She’s not there but she’s trending in the wrong direction. I don’t favor Coco against anyone in the top 5 which is insane given her talent.

She’s not there but she’s trending in the wrong direction. I don’t favor Coco against anyone in the top 5 which is insane given her talent.
Yea I feel you. When she meets someone on “her” level she can’t seem to get past them a lot of the times. She should honestly have multiple slams under her belt.

Yea I feel you. When she meets someone on “her” level she can’t seem to get past them a lot of the times. She should honestly have multiple slams under her belt.
I’m hoping her mental toughness can improve similar to Davenport. Right now she does more whining and complaining than fighting.

r/tennis - The Lil Penko friendship continues to thrive

We've seen him properly getting booed in the past, so we know it does happen... but in this case, it was obvs a play on RUUUUUNE.
Having said that, it's also a convenient excuse to really boo him. 😂

But I also saw this Tweet this morning. 🤔
She's a BBC reporter, so I would assume she has a neutral take.
Maybe there is some truth to it? 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom