The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Victor Wemby Invitational)

Highly sports entertaining match so far.

These young ladies showing out.

sliding on any surface that's not clay is too much of an injury risk IMO don't know why so many players risk it

Quite the opposite... sliding is less stressful on the joints... better than the sudden-stopping on hard courts.

it makes sense that it decreases load/impact on the knees, but like every hard court I've been on (granted this is HS lol) hasn't been very slick enough to do it. I dunno if they add a layer on top or something to make it slide-able

Great match by both ladies. bright futures ahead in the women's game, big shoes to fill too :nerd: felt that even though the score was close Emma was mostly in control. She was collected and played a great match. Leylah gonna learn to tighten up her game and work on that first serve. Can't be trying to overpower every shot. Love how she goes for it though and uses the entire court.

Leylah gonna be one of those uber competitive players which I love. As soon as Emma said she hopes they play many more times, Leylah nodded her head so fast like "yeah we better play again, I gotta bust that *** "

It always throws me off when someone speaks with a British accent. Cuz she looks young and then her british accent makes her sound a lot more mature even though she wasn’t anything more mature lol.

Quite the opposite... sliding is less stressful on the joints... better than the sudden-stopping on hard courts.

That may be, but you gotta be REAL careful the edge of your outsole doesn't catch and turn your ankle right over. It's still a mystery why all tennis shoes are lowcut. The good days when Nike and Reebok & Diadora and others sold all their shoes in a mid or 3/4 cut.

Yeah, I still don't know how they do it. The kids are taught this at a young age and I'm sure the outsole compounds nowadays are more slick, but I would never dare to even try it. I don't even remember this started to really be a thing... maybe 2005-ish?

And it not only is less stressful on the joints, but it also allows players to reposition/make turns faster than the traditional start-stop movement.

Yeah, I still don't know how they do it. The kids are taught this at a young age and I'm sure the outsole compounds nowadays are more slick, but I would never dare to even try it. I don't even remember this started to really be a thing... maybe 2005-ish?

And it not only is less stressful on the joints, but it also allows players to reposition/make turns faster than the traditional start-stop movement.

good point on being able to turn quickly and get back into position I thought about the alternative of having to stop low and have to switch your momentum and started having flashbacks to running lines :lol:

but yeah pros must have some kind of secret I’m waiting for someone to try to slide and just go flying lol

This Emma Raducanu lady is cold Blooded man! Not sure why she was ranked 150th but after looking at these highlights including today’s win she is good! :pimp:

Some highlights had me thinking she was Freddy Krueger the way she was cutting mfs up. Lowkey got me wanting to learn to play the sport.

Side note: you know you cold asf when someone who doesn’t even know how to play the sport can tell when someone is really good. So good you toying with the comp!:lol:

Novak not feeling it AT ALL. Prob the occasion got to him.

Meanwhile, Medwed is loose as hell, untouchable on his serve and hit a few ridic shots that bailed him out.

Back
Top Bottom