THE OFFICIAL SAN JOSE SHARKS SEASON THREAD!! PLAYOFFS VS CHICAGO WCF series 0-1

Anthony Morrow's twitter @BlackBoiPachino

laugh.gif

[h1]Don Nelson Channels His Inner Belichick[/h1]
Posted Oct 29, 2009 5:45PM By Matt Steinmetz (RSS feed)

don-nelson-1009-150.jpg
Don Nelson insisted again on Thursday, like he's been insisting since the start of training camp, that he's excited by his young Warriors team and that he is having fun coaching it.

But that's not the way it looks. Nelson has grown increasingly short with the media in the past year or so and his pregame press conferences are littered with one-word answers and uncomfortable silences.

One day after the Warriors lost to the Rockets 108-107, a radio host on the team's flagship station opened his program by saying it sure seemed like Nelson's heart wasn't in it anymore.http://

The long and short of it was that coaching just wasn't doing it for Nellie, now 69 years old.

"You know, we have some issues we're dealing with, but yeah, coaching a kid like (Stephen) Curry is a lot of fun for me," Nelson countered. "And to watch him develop and get better and better. (Anthony) Randolph, the same thing. ... Yeah, I'm very excited about our young guys. I'm having fun. Yes, I'm having fun.

"I've never looked like I'm enjoying myself during a game, if that's what you mean?"

Actually, it isn't. What we're really talking about here is the parts about being an NBA coach that don't necessarily involve coaching - the travel, the grind, the dealing with the media, etc.

"No, I don't care much for this anymore," Nelson said, referring to dealing with the media. "I've been beat up so bad by being honest with the press, I'm going to be the (Patriots coach Bill) Belichick of the NBA. I'd rather talk on the radio where people can actually hear my words than get it misconstrued somehow. It looks different in print sometimes when you say something. The way you say it sometimes you can't identify it in print. I'm more careful. Yes, I'm more careful."

Once upon a time, and even at the beginning of his second stint with the Warriors a few years back, one of Nelson's strengths was dealing with writers, etc. He would engage in banter, share a personal anecdote or two and even go off the record to better explain some of the things he was doing.

Those days seem gone.

"It's really sad," said Nelson. "I don't like doing it but I've been forced to do it, so what can I tell you?"

How about: Why? What happened? What changed? Are people writing untruths or have there been inaccuracies when it comes to Nelson and the Warriors?

"Slanted ... slanted," Nelson said. "It's not that it's not true or inaccurate, it's slanted or taken out of context sometimes, so it looks worse in print or different in print than it was actually meant to be."

So all you can do is believe Nelson when he says he's having fun. Even though it looks like he isn't.

How dare Don Nelson even compare himself to Bill Belichick when he hasn't even won any titles as a coach.

%$@% Don Nelson! %$@% Larry Riley! %$@% Robert Rowell! %$@% Chris Cohan! %$@% Stephen Jackson!

%$@% them all!

I'm going to be the (Patriots coach Bill) Belichick of the NBA
29uwnjm.gif

Randolph going to start
pimp.gif
. Still think Nelson needs to use more benchplayers. He sucked it up the third quarter saying it wasn't their quarter, but he didn't even try to change the lineup much. I think Moore needs to beused along with Turiaf at backup and maybe give Law some minutes at PG. I think he could get Morrow some shots. Anyways, the Randolph article: WarriorsTo Begin Starting Randolph

[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62445/20091030/warriors_to_begin_starting_randolph/[/h1]
[h1]Warriors To Begin Starting Randolph[/h1]

Oct 30, 2009 1:39 AM EST

Randolph_Anthony_gsw.jpg
The Warriors will begin starting second-year forward Anthony Randolph, according to a person close to the team.

The Warriors refused to comment on the lineup change, saying no decision would be made until Friday morning.

Via ESPN

Golden State Warriors

http://warriors.realgm.com/

id rather have randolph start instead of turiaf since this team aint going anywhere anytime soon let the youngs get playing timet

I think people are just assuming given his potential, finish of last season, and SL performances they'd figure he's a lock to start.

Originally Posted by daprescription

He should be a lock to start on this team. Randolph and Turiaf should be the starters.

Right, unless he was all banged up...

When your next game so we can fresh Siree pics?
nerd.gif

Yes, I am assuming. I'm assuming based on how Randolph was used the other night against the Rockets. Yeah he didn't start, but he did play. If he ishurt, why play him at all? At center no less. If he wasn't hurt, why didn't he play more minutes? Randolph looked really good in his limited time andextended the lead to close the 1st half. To me, there was a lot of questionable moves on how Nelson handled Randolph.

Some may say that both Turiaf and Biedrins were in the starting lineup and racked up 3 fouls each in the 1st half, that's why Randolph was brought in -- tobuy time. But we have Mikki Moore on the bench. He could play center. Isn't that why he was brought in? Because we needed a 3rd guy who could play center?He could buy time, and to my knowledge, he isn't nursing a sore back and sore knee. I don't think you should use your "budding young star" tobuy time when he's hurt. It's not wise.

And for me, I'll wait on this news of Randolph starting. For all we know, Nelson could start Randolph, but give Maggette minutes at PF than Randolph.Nelson has done this in the past, so I'll wait until he shows me otherwise.

I agree, Randolph should start based on potential, how hard he's worked in the offseason, how he finished off last season, and his performance in SL, butto say that he was hurt and that's the reason why he wasn't starting is absurd. Why play him at all? I don't want to risk further injury toRandolph with 81 more games to go. IMO, what Nelson did with Randolph just didn't make sense.

How many total mins did AR get, I don't recall and didn't watch the entire game?
Clearly he was needed, hurt a bit, use him sparingly and in spots? I don't know either, but I haven't read/seen/heard about a beef other than peopleguessing based on his non-starter role.

Randolph played just under 10 minutes.

The thing is that Randolph was slotted at center. He was the lone big man in the lineup. If he was paired with another big man who could help roam the paint,it would have been a better situation for Randolph. But with him being the lone big man, Nelson was asking Randolph to do a lot with rebounding and defendingthe paint.

Hmmm....typically if you're in Nellie's doghouse, you won't be starting the 2nd game though, either.

Well, we'll never know fully.
Maybe to see how he'd look?
Provide a spark?
Keep the game manageable?
Breather for _______?

I mean, if we had Kurz still, AR wouldn't have even suited up.

Coulda sworn both Turiaf & Randolph started the 3rd qtr together the other game.

Didnt really matter who we threw out there tho. Scola & Landry were killing everybody that guarded them.

Originally Posted by offbad

sorry to interject--

nelson likens/compares Curry to Nash. thoughts on validity?
Only can be proven as time goes on.
Nash's court vision and passing ability is by far some of the best the league has seen, which would be incredibly hard to live up to.

Back
Top Bottom