The Official PlayStation 3 | ViTA Thread Vol. Plenty of Life Left

Id suggest holding off, actually. Sony has occasional deals where you can get extra weeks/months when you subscribe. A few of us jumped on a past deal and now have PS+ until somewhere in 2015. :lol:

Id suggest holding off, actually. Sony has occasional deals where you can get extra weeks/months when you subscribe. A few of us jumped on a past deal and now have PS+ until somewhere in 2015.
laugh.gif
Haha that's insane! I'll definitely stay posted until then.

Anybody have any RPG recommendations? Thinking about picking up Dragon's Dogma but wondering if there might be some better options out there.

Played Skyrim so that's out. I also played Kingdom's of Amalur reckoning for a little bit but never really got into it.  In hindsight I probably should have held onto it a little bit longer.

Right now I'm thinking Dragon's Dogma vs Oblivion but I'm open to any suggestions, doesnt have to be recent or even a PS3 title if I can dl it from PSN.

Thanks in advance.

Get Dark Souls.
I'm intrigued but I'm wondering if there's enough customization in it for me? I'm all about farming and leveling up to get that next skill/perk, finding the perfect armor and weapons, etc. 

Last edited:
I have Dragon's Dogma and it is pretty good. Just a little overwhelming at the start. But customization is up there.

Dungeon Siege III is very underrated and could probably be found for a steal.

Ni No Kuni. Don't let the cartoon-ish art style fool you; its one of the best RPG's on the PS3

Dragon Age series is pretty good.

Alot of similarities between Skyrim and Fallout.

White Knight Chronicles I and II are great. Your player carries over from I to II. However the best part of those games is building your town and playing online.... the servers for WKC I have shut down recently. The story is still decent. Cheesey but okay.

Two Worlds II I didnt love, but its okay as well.

Thats just a few that I thought might fit the genre/style you might be looking for. There are a bunch more if you are willing to go outside that style.

I wouldn't know enough to compare to other games in the genre, but I'd say you'll be satisfied in that aspect. Lots of weapons and armor sets to play with. Plus pyromancy and magic builds.

I like to use upgrade my strength and stamina and carry a big *** Zweihander. After so many hours dodging and ducking with a shield and a sword, when I swung on my first enemy with the Zweihander :wow: :wow: One shotting 10 ft tall skeletons. :smokin

I've come across many builds online. Def a lot of ways to play the game. Some people even do level 1 runs, which is absolutely crazy, but it can be done.

last of us demo is crazy. the sound, the atmosphere all top notch. the only thing i don't like is the way the clickers look...

Thats just a few that I thought might fit the genre/style you might be looking for. There are a bunch more if you are willing to go outside that style.

Thanks you two. What are some games from other styles you'd recommend?

Depends on what you may be interested in.

Western/Modern/Futuristic RPG
Mass Effect 1, 2, 3 - Probably know about these
Alpha Protocol - An okay action RPG
Game of Thrones - Not a great game by any means, but if you have an interest in GoT, might be enjoyable.

Old School
3D Dot Game Heroes - Think NES Zelda
Costume Quest - Not exactly Old School, but it gets overlooked all the time.
Dragon Fantasy: Book I - Havent played it yet, but it looks very cool. Inspiration from early RPG's.

Japanese RPG
Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 - Great RPG's when you dont compare them to what came before them. Hard to live up to the name.
Resonance of Fate - Battle system is pretty deep, but it gets pretty hardcore.
Star Ocean International - Great story, huge game.
Eternal Sonata - Story is a little cheesy, but gameplay is great.
Tales of Graces f - Very deep game, long and has a difficulty spike.

Strategy RPG
Vandal Hearts - Awesome game to introduce you to SRPG's
Valkyria Chronicles - This is actually an Action/Strategy hybrid.
Rainbow Moon - Great PSN title.
Disgaea series - definitely for the more hardcore crowd, extreme grinding.
Agarest series - Another hardcore title, you advance through generations of a family.

Action RPG
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - fun alone, really fun with a friend.
Untold Legends - Not a great game, but a decent dungeon crawler
LotR: War in the North - Similiar to Game of Thrones in that its not a great game, but enjoyable if you dig that universe
DC Universe - Free to play MMORPG
Nier - Under-rated title from Square Enix

Tower Defense
Crystal Defenders - Final Fantasy universe, cheap, and challenging
Dungeon Defender - cool story, more dynamic action than most tower defense games
Zombie Tycoon - pretty fun, especially online

Open world games (Red Dead, GTA, ect) are RPG-ish, but again, thats starting to get pretty broad.

You can go back, but these are all PS3/PSN titles. The PSOne/2 classics on the PS Store open up literally dozens of more titles.

Im sure I missed a few, and there is alot of junk I left off (Atelier series is pretty niche) If you want to try some new things, I'd suggest Star Ocean, Valkyria Chronicles, and Costume Quest. All great games, easy learning curve, and probably very cheap.

I think if you havent played them, Fallout 3/ New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, and Ni No Kuni are must-plays.

Good number of members in this thread know RPG's back to NES, so feel free to post questions.

Last edited:
A 10 from EDGE !!

Naughty Dogs must have knocked it out the park with this one.

These guys just conquer genres or make their own.

Muliplayer Trailer and leaked video.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom