The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

thanks for the quick and responsive input, so safe to say...a general rule is that an 85 should be primarily waist and above and to avoid full body portraits? im on a d750 with a 28mm and 50mm already but the 85 1.8 is reasonably priced and has seemingly positive reviews for its price point and performance. not to mention that i wouldn't mind adding it bc of the length. i actually have a few portrait stuff that i would like some honest criticism about but i can't post publicly bc theyre not really for me, theyre not for my personal use. but would really like to get some honest opinions, critique and criticism if anyone might be interested and able to help. i can send via ig pm or messenger app

Last edited:
Ps if you suck you suck no matter what you have but to compare your work with someone with better gear that clearly suck is stupid. Give that gear to someone that know what they are doing and you will clearly see the gear is better..
I can take a picture with the 24-105L and then switch and take the same image with a 24-70 and I can clearly see the difference big time.

QFT

The 24-70 is that much better? I heard the newer version is better but then I heard the newer 24-105 is good too. I hated the 24-70 version 1. That thing was so damn soft compared to my primes. It's so hard to go from primes to zooms.

I love my 24-70 2.8L II. Thing is super sharp. But from what i can tell you seem to prefer primes. I doubt you'd like either of lose lenses tbh

lots of debate. always good to hear different pov's. but if i could squeeze in a quick n00b question for those of you that do a lot of portraiture...is it safe to say that having an 85mm is highly preferable vs. a 50mm in most cases for portraiture stuff? i have a 28mm that im really attached to and probably my favorite length for my everday/walk around, but i've been trying portrait stuff lately and not caring too much for the length at 50mm. highly likely that this is consequence and a product of my lack of experience with a proper subject, but do you find that having an 85 makes a big difference for yall? a lot of photos on instagram and photographers sites that i check out and try to reflect on what makes them good to me don't have the info about the length of the photo , which is what i'm most curious and inquired to know. just wanted to try and get some thoughts as this is usually the first place i go for insight and suggestions. thanks all.

85mm all day for portraits.

I've had enough of this 24-70 slander :lol:

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Shot at 85mm f/1.2
:lol:

The 24-70 is that much better? I heard the newer version is better but then I heard the newer 24-105 is good too. I hated the 24-70 version 1. That thing was so damn soft compared to my primes. It's so hard to go from primes to zooms.
you are going to have people that are going to argue this just because they can't justify the price difference a d the 24-105 is a great all around lens; however, yes.

The sharpness from edge to edge is Something you don't get in the 24-105 and the 18 point blade when stop down on night shots , well it's leaps and bounce better. You can clearly see how sharp and iq in pictures especially in night shots with cityscapes ...

Bruh .. Wth. Again Apple's to Oranges. I compared zoom to zoom ...

Not zoom to prime .. What are we even saying ... Buahaha

Another great lens is the 16-35 f4 joint is super sharp better than the 16-35 2.8 II and by a lot.

My primes right now are 35L 50L 85L 135L only use them for portraits ... 50L is my least used lens

16-35 II is a bust? I don't really rock with zooms but that was going to be my next possible purchase just to have something in that range.

Bro you a prime shooter, don't even bother with Zooms, no matter how good they are, you will be left wishing for more, trust me on this...had both the 24-70LII and the 70-200LII traded the 70-200 for the 85L and struggled selling the 24-70L

That's true although my 24mm f/1.4 has been collecting dust due to my Tamron but I definite'y can say the 24mm prime is way sharper but for what i need, the Tamron is fine. I am probably going to unload that lens soon a long with all this other damn gear that is collecting dust. I need a god damn long lens and with this damn Sigma 135mm, I feel like I have to wait longer to see some reviews. From there, I'll pull the trigger finally.

also be prepared to by a gang of sensor cleaning swabs...it is one of the more annoying things about all mirrorless cameras...exposed sensors
uhh? I might be changing my mind. Don't have time for all that.

it is shouldn't be a deal breaker -but it can be quite annoying, especially if you change lenses in the field alot- mirrorless sensors are easy to clean provided you have the swabs on deck

While i do agree with this 100% the reality is most clients see your gear waaaayyy after seeing your work and hiring you.

And that mine is bigger BS is really only a pissing contest amongst other photographers.
Honestly I wasn't even thinking about from a clients perspective lol I personally prefer the look of a larger lens

I couldn't even fathom a conversation on size of lens worth having lol gotta be a lil bit more than a little insecure to have those

While i do agree with this 100% the reality is most clients see your gear waaaayyy after seeing your work and hiring you.

And that mine is bigger BS is really only a pissing contest amongst other photographers.

Honestly I wasn't even thinking about from a clients perspective lol I personally prefer the look of a larger lens

I couldn't even fathom a conversation on size of lens worth having lol gotta be a lil bit more than a little insecure to have those

My glass is bigger than yours papi :rofl:

Like I know it happens, but who goes back and forth in a convo like that

no one LITERALLY goes in based on the size of lenses, if you reread the last few exchanges about L glass versus 3rd party lenses, it may not be top of mind conscious, but it is all in the subtext...it isn't that hard to imagine, and it doesn't require a particular 'type' of person, it is kinda human nature...

Back
Top Bottom