--- THE OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS THREAD --- OFFSEASON THREAD

What Are You Concerned About Heading Into This Season???

• Brady turning 40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safety

• Gostkowski

• Total voters
Grand opening, grand closing.

I’m not too sure how to feel about this move, but I guess I understand it. We’d have to pay Jimmy next season regardless of how many years of Brady we have, so maybe the thought process is that Brady will actually play until he’s 44-45.

Our TB12 insurance policy right now is avocado ice cream and pliability :lol:

the Niners let Hoyer go just a bit ago so he should be landing in NE at 6am tomorrow :lol:

I really don't get this trade for where the team is at in the current season. I know they have been having issues with agreeing to a contract but if the plan was to trade him then why also trade Jacoby?? I would of been ok with the trade if we still had Jacoby (he played better then Jimmy in the pre-season).
Brady is getting sacked a lot and QB's are going down left and right around the league. Who we depending as a backup now Hoyer ??? Kap?? Romo??
Theres gotta be some more moves in the works with this 2nd round pick.

IBWT i guess.

i have so many questions :lol:

1) does this mean we keep Butler or package him with the pick and move him? :nerd:
2) what QB is BB eyeing in CFB right now? :nerd:
3) what's Chris Hogan's deal? :nerd:
4) why are the rumors saying interior DL instead of edge rusher? besides Flowers and Wise, Marsh is not who i want to rely on getting to the QB :nerd:
5) Brian Hoyer? ugh :nerd:
6) can we keep riding Gronk like this? assuming Hogan misses time :nerd:

:lol:

Mitchell started running again, but we're looking at late December/playoffs for him IIRC

good news is Hogan just needs a "few" weeks to rest and rehab. assume that means 3-5?

Yeah they've been hush-hush about what the injury actually is.

I've been hearing rumors about TY Hilton and Ebron as trade targets.

Heard the shoulder is the same as Brady's early in the season. Curious they havent released his MRI results.

Mad Dog Hogan only out a few weeks. Amendola and Gronk will have to step up, we really need to run the ball also to stay afloat. Only half a game back of the Chefs, home field is in sight.

good insight from Bedard yesterday. paraphrased:

"The Pats decided to move Jimmy now because with all the injuries and FA busts, it's clear this team cannot win a Super Bowl this year without Brady. So if Brady goes down, the season is lost anyway. Heading into the year with a full roster, Jimmy could probably keep the ship afloat. But with this current team and injuries and how things have played out, only Brady can make it work."

interesting take and i agree 100% with that, but i don't feel like that justifies giving up "life after Brady". but hey, i'm just another Pats homer so what do i know :lol:

if they can draft another guy who can be Jimmy (which is definitely feasible), then BB looks smart once again

PATRIOTS
Bedard: Tom Brady earned the right to continue on, and Bill Belichick just has to do deal with it
5550c35e0b58dea75f1877ce7fdc928e

ByGreg A. Bedard
Posted on November 1, 2017

So now that the dust has finally settled and Jimmy Garoppolo is a 49er, I’m still not exactly sure how I feel about the deal. The factors that went into it, the tangents it set off for the future of the Patriots is like some sort of Ernie Adams-dreamed Venn diagram.

It’s enough to give you a popsicle headache.

Let’s stick with the big picture. It doesn’t really matter how much Bill Belichick loved Jimmy Garoppolo and thought he was the next guy, or even whether or not the Krafts pulled ranked and said Tom Brady is staying for a couple more years.

The bottom line is this: if you stripped away all the sentimental stuff that doesn’t matter to Belichick and the thought of trading the future Hall of Famer, Brady earned the right by his play to continue on as the Patriots’ quarterback. Didn’t think I’d be saying that, but that’s the truth. Sure, he’s 40 and even Belichick admitted Brady has long ago been placed in the year-by-year category, but he continues to play like he’s 30, and not 40.

The question the Patriots had to ask themselves was: Does Brady or Garoppolo give us the best chance to win next year? Brady does. Two years from now, does Brady or Garoppolo give us the best chance to win? Probably Brady. Beyond that, it’s an impossible call.

And if Garoppolo wasn’t going to wait through some sort of bridge deal (he wasn’t), then the Patriots had no choice but to trade Garoppolo now.

Do I think they mismanaged the asset and the rest of the quarterback room? Yes. They were not open for business on Garoppolo last offseason — they didn’t entertain offers — and that was a mistake. They should have opened the bidding during a weak quarterback draft, traded Garoppolo and then forged ahead with Jacoby Brissett as the backup. That would have been in the best interest of the franchise’s future, and will be second-guessed for years to come.

But they made their choice and the decision to trade Garoppolo just came down to bad timing because Brady is doing the impossible. Brady, through his own freak determination and Belichick’s decision to draft Garoppolo when he did, has pushed back the timetable on the succession plan.

And now, Belichick and Josh McDaniels have to start the succession plan over. So what? That’s what they get paid to do. It’s their job to go find the next quarterback, draft him, and develop him for two years. Even if Garoppolo becomes a franchise quarterback, that doesn’t change the fact that the Patriots need to find another one. Just because they might have had one doesn’t mean that was their only shot.

The only risk is if Brady falls off a cliff in the next year. Belichick always plays the odds. Are the odds good that Brady will soon be washed up? No. So they had to stick with Brady. They could have traded him like so many other franchise icons, but the difference here is that in the player valuation model, all of those guys — Lawyer Milloy, Adam Vinatieri, Richard Seymour, Logan Mankins, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins — were not going to be worth the money or you couldn’t count on them playing to their contract.

Brady will, and we’ve been saying this forever: Brady’s contract has always been the biggest x-factor in all of this. Brady’s cap number the past two years has been around $14 million (his average cash is also right in the middle of the pack). It’s set to jump to $22 million next season, but that almost certainly will be taken care of. The Patriots know Brady will play ball on his contract — Robert Kraft put it to Brady in the past, and he agreed to do it — and, unlike his former teammates, he will outplay that contract.

They don’t know that about Garoppolo, who is in the last year of his rookie deal. If the team traded Brady, Garoppolo would be well within his rights to ask for a market contract that probably would have cost more than Brady. Garoppolo is not a fixed asset. Brady is, or as close to one as you’re going to get. When you put together the odds of a) Garoppolo playing well and, b) outplaying his contract, Brady looks even more like the sure thing for the next two years.

Yeah, it stinks that the Patriots had to deal Garoppolo, and Belichick would agree with you on that. He obviously thinks he had the next guy, but that’s just the way things worked out.

Now it’s his job to go find the next guy again. Brady put them in this position, and it’s not exactly a bad spot to be in.

Cant franchise Jimmy and have 2 QBs at $20ish million. What I dont get is why trade Brissett????? he was good and cheap.

I'm totally fine if he ends up being primarily a pass blocker :lol:

On the other hand, we never got to see the Gronk and Marty duo in action last season. We may see more of it if Hogan sits a few more weeks. BB likes being "multiple" so at least we'll have the 2 TE set in the arsenal.

Black unicorn is back.

Oh man, the 2TE sets are gonna be awesome to watch.

Welp, apparently he has a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum. He'll either play through it or be put on IR.

definitely tempering my expectations on Marty. gotta see how that shoulder is and where his head really is at.

but regardless, i love that dude. glad he's back to at least give it a go

At Denver, at night, week after bye - unorthodox situation for The Pats but they can do it!!! 8)

pull away from the rest of the conference!!!

Back
Top Bottom