The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Hey maybe one of you guys "in the know" can throw me a bone... I'm trying to get Adobe Illustrater for my MacBook Pro 2008 I believe is the year.

Is there anywhere to get it for cheap and not the $800 dollars is cost to flat out buy it... please help... in desperate need of that program.

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Just got a 13inc Macbook Pro from Microcenter for 1000. @@%$! on this year's back to school deal IMO
Loving it so far
pimp.gif
I picked up mines yesterday from Microcenter too 
sweet deal
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

I know you referring to me,
laugh.gif
I'm not praising apple care, but having some sort of insurance on expensive product is better than nothing even if don't cover accidental damage. I work at best buy too ADH comes in the clutch. The macbookpro that i bought from 08' at that time, they were pushing applecare most than blacktie so i went with the apple care which i got for really cheap.

Best Buy protection plan> Apple care anyday
riddle me this 
my friend has a 09 macbook he purchased the 3 year accidental warranty plan...his idea is to drop it or spill water on it and what he gets a new macbook? i worked at bb but i figured if people try this they investigate the damage or something 

You can do that, but it can't be seen as neglect if its neglect they won't replace it you'll bee in mess . Also don't spill water or drop it, spill milk but DON'T drown the damm thing in milk(MUST NOT BE SEEN AS NEGLECT).
wink.gif
i've seen a person who got a new one for milk damage.

***disclaimer***
Don't come to me if they don't replace your friends macbook, its at his own risk.
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
yeah i been told him not to risk it but he says thats why he bought 3 years...but he isnt about that life thats why he hasnt done it 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by theone218

how do I connect my macbook pro to my HDTV

I have a pre 2010 MBP so just using an HDMI cable will not work correct?
I know that I need a mini displayport to HDMI converter and can anyone recommend me a good one?
What I don't know is what cable or converter do I need for the sound? and if someone knows can you recommend me one also

any help is appreciated

you just need the mini displayport and a hdmi cable...the 2010 models all transfer sound via mini display
i bought one of these on sale for 6$ to my surprise it came with a hdmi cable 
pimp.gif

http://www.meritline.com/...rchTerm=mini+displayport

the thing is i have a pre 2010 model i think its 09
anyone?

Apple rumored to offer next-gen MacBook Airs with black finish

By Slash Lane
Published: 01:00 PM ESTApple is rumored to offer the option of a black finish on its next-generation Sandy Bridge powered MacBook Air ultraportable notebooks expected to arrive in the near future, but the source publication has posted an update shedding doubt on the rumor.

Update: Emails sent to the publication from an alleged Apple employee claim Apple experimented with black powder coated MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models, but Apple CEO Steve Jobs "killed the idea" because the coating soaks up body oils. "At some point we may offer a black coating, but it won't be powder coat, and it won't be anytime soon," the tipster wrote.

Citing "several anonymous tips," MacRumors reported on Monday that Apple will will offer "at least some models" of its next MacBook Air with a black finish. That would be different from the aluminum currently found on all MacBook Air models.

"The most specific of the claims suggests that a black anodized aluminum case would be available on a top-end MacBook Air model, in much the same way as Apple once offered a high-end black MacBook on top of the standard white offerings," the report said.

Author Eric Slivka said the site is "unable to confirm the rumors," but given the fact that numerous tips have been received, the information was shared "for interest and discussion."

Last week, AppleInsider revealed that Apple is expected to hold off on introducing any new Mac hardware until Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, its next-generation operating system, becomes publicly available. Lion will become available in the Mac App Store for $29.99in July, but it is believed that any new MacBook Air models would ship with the operating system preinstalled.

air-110620.png

AppleInsider also learned that Apple is ready to build nearly 400,000 next-generation MacBook Airs this month in preparation for the anticipated launch. The new hardware is expected to sport Intel's latest Sandy Bridge processors, as well as the new high-speed Thunderbolt port codeveloped by Apple and Intel.

The new thin-and-light MacBook Air launched in late 2010 with a new 11.6-inch model and a lower $999 introductory price. The device was an instant hit, and made the MacBook Air one of the most popular products in the Mac lineup overnight.

[table][/table]

I know that I need a mini displayport to HDMI converter and can anyone recommend me a good one?
What I don't know is what cable or converter do I need for the sound? and if someone knows can you recommend me one also

any help is appreciated

you just need the mini displayport and a hdmi cable...the 2010 models all transfer sound via mini display
pimp.gif

good looks
didnt get mine for 6 but still 
pimp.gif

Intel has added three new high efficiency Sandy Bridge CPUs to its product catalog, likely representing the chips Apple will use in its next refresh of the light and thin MacBook Air. 

The ULV (ultra low voltage) parts consume only 17 watts, making them suitable for the slim design of the Mac Book Air, as opposed to the mainstream Sandy Bridge chips Apple uses in its full size MacBook Pro lineup. 

The standard Sandy Bridge chips in Apple's Pro notebooks dissipate 25 to 35 watts, making them too hot (and too battery taxing) to use in the considerably thinner Air machines, according to a report byCNET .

The new lineup consists of three part numbers:

Core i7-2677M: dual cores running at 1.8 GHz (peaking to 2.9GHz), 4MB cache, listing for $317 
Core i7-2637M: dual cores running at 1.7GHz(peaking to 2.8GHz), 4MB cache, listing for $289 
Core i5-2557M: dual cores running at 1.7GHz(peaking to 2.7GHz), 3MB cache, listing for $250

Intel sees a big market for notebooks similar to Apple's MacBook Air, which the chipmaker calls "ultrabooks." When Apple first released the Air, it was criticized for not being thin enough and giving up too many features while using a full sized keyboard. 

Apple has since made the Air lineup thinner and reduced the price while retaining a full size keyboard and moving exclusively to SSD storage, which supports very fast booting, wake and program launching.

The report cited analyst Doug Freedman of Gleacher & Company, who refers to machines like the Mac Book Air as "SSD notebooks," as commenting that "In the 4-year lifespan of [Apple's] iconic MacBook Air, units sold as a percentage of its total notebook supply was 8 percent in 2008, 9 percent in 2009, and 17 percent in 2010 to an estimated 48 percent in 2011."

"We expect total notebook SSD penetration at a conservative 5 percent in 2011 growing to 30 percent in 2014," Freedman stated. He noted that Intel is planning to bundle its own SSD storage devices with its CPUs to sell PC makers packages of components, something the company already does with CPUs and chipsets.

However, Apple introduced SSD options for its latest MacBook Airs using specialized components rather than conventional SSDs built to fill the same space as a conventional notebook hard drive, such as those built by Intel. That has enabled the company to further reduce weight and thickness in the Air designs.

pimp.gif

anyone?

sorry i read it too fast
im not 100% sure but im 97% sure 
laugh.gif

you need mini display to dvi, then dvi to hdmi

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Should I wait for Amazon's possible Macbook/iTouch back to school promo?

bts2-500x336.jpg

this is the promo.
Man this is a terrible promo. I remember when I copped my MBP with a free itouch, $100 off, and a free printer
pimp.gif
. Microsoft's 360 with windows 7 is so much better tha this sack of crap promo that Apple is running.

any help is appreciated

pimp.gif

I think i have the same model as you.  I got the mini display port to hdmi converter, and run the hdmi to my tv.

Then I have to run a y splitter that runs from the audio out of my macbook to the audio in of my tv. 

Hope this helps!

The mid 2010's are the first ones to support audio over display port.  If you have anything before that you'll need the mini dp to hdmi (moshi makes a good one), an hdmi cable, and then a mini plug to rca.  I'm assuming your tv has a stereo rca audio port associated with an hdmi port.

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

so lately browsing on my MBP2011 15' on this new firefox i keep getting this popup on my screen that looks like this....

i always hit cancel... but it been getting annoying... has anybody else been having this problem?

man i've been getting that +%%% too.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

a macbook air or ipad as a secondary option to a pro?

If you still want the raw computing power the MBA all day, esp if you travel and don't want to add the weight. If you just want to get in and out of using the net the iPad.....
For me I travel a bit and the wight of my 2007 MBP is a bit of a drag and I no longer need the power it has because it was once my main comptuer, but now the setup is

Mac Min - for power use/home PC

iPad - mobile use, in-out internet access, ebooks, mags, movies,

MBA - (getting 2011 model) because I travel and there are times when you just need a laptop to get things done

iPhone - quick access and its my phone

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

***SERIOUS POST***

I am not a fan of apple by any means but from what I can see, they make one hell of a laptop

I have had a HP pc (laptop) for 1.5 years and the tomfoolery that I put up with is preposterous to say the least. Battery is fried somehow...have to plug it in, dumb slow, loud, and just a bunch of random stuff. My friend has a black macbook from 4 years back that still runs better than my hp ever did.

So....I am looking to get a macbook pro in August and I plan on using it in class and for everything else. Now I am no expert, but from what I understand I basically have a choice between the 13 in and the 15 in. Now the quad core 15 in seems
eek.gif
but the price after apple care, sales tax etc
30t6p3b.gif

So is there gonna be a crazy difference between the two? And where is the best place to shop? (as far as pricing are concerned)
quad cores are
eek.gif
but it really depends what you're going to be using it for
i'd say for 95% of users the base MBP would be fine, even the regular MB would be fine

if you plan on keeping it for a while though you might as well go for the 15 so it will be more future proof.  or maybe wait on the new MBA's and use the money saved to get an extra display for when you're using it at home

Thanks for the reply

I am really leaning towards the 15 in because you make a good point about it being more future proof. I plan on having it for a long time especially sonsidering how much them thangs cost
laugh.gif
. I might as well pay the extra 400+ for it now.

And I don't really understand the Macbook air? Can you elaborate on why that might be a great route to take? And an extra display?

Basically, my friends has a 15 in blackbook I believe and that joint is still running top notch. I wanna be that dude 5 years from now

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Apple unveils updated Time Capsule, bumps storage to 3TB[/h4]
By Tim Stevens   posted Jun 21st 2011 8:48AM

http://www.engadget.com/breaking/#latest/www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/eng-swipe-breaking-red.gif");">http://www.blogsmithmedia...breaking-red.gif"); display: block; width: 55px; height: 19px; background-position: 50% 0%;">Breaking News

It's been a good long while since Apple unveiled a new Time Capsule, almost two years since the 2TB model rolled out. At the time that was a volume of storage that you couldn't possibly fill up -- even if you ripped your entire Peter Gabriel collection in lossless. Now, nearly 24 months later, you're out of room for the latest Greatest Hits compilations, never mind Scratch My Back and the subsequent buddy album. Now Apple has your back, releasing an updated Time Capsule offering up to 3TB of storage for all your former Genesis frontman listening needs.

Update: The new Time Capsules have finally hit the Apple Store and prices haven't changed -- now you just get more for your money. The 2TB model slides into the $299 slot while the 3TB takes over the $499 position.

Link

Originally Posted by bjamez20

***SERIOUS POST***

I am not a fan of apple by any means but from what I can see, they make one hell of a laptop

I have had a HP pc (laptop) for 1.5 years and the tomfoolery that I put up with is preposterous to say the least. Battery is fried somehow...have to plug it in, dumb slow, loud, and just a bunch of random stuff. My friend has a black macbook from 4 years back that still runs better than my hp ever did.

So....I am looking to get a macbook pro in August and I plan on using it in class and for everything else. Now I am no expert, but from what I understand I basically have a choice between the 13 in and the 15 in. Now the quad core 15 in seems
eek.gif
but the price after apple care, sales tax etc
30t6p3b.gif

So is there gonna be a crazy difference between the two? And where is the best place to shop? (as far as pricing are concerned)
quad cores are
eek.gif
but it really depends what you're going to be using it for
i'd say for 95% of users the base MBP would be fine, even the regular MB would be fine

if you plan on keeping it for a while though you might as well go for the 15 so it will be more future proof.  or maybe wait on the new MBA's and use the money saved to get an extra display for when you're using it at home

Thanks for the reply

I am really leaning towards the 15 in because you make a good point about it being more future proof. I plan on having it for a long time especially sonsidering how much them thangs cost
laugh.gif
. I might as well pay the extra 400+ for it now.

And I don't really understand the Macbook air? Can you elaborate on why that might be a great route to take? And an extra display?
Macbook Air used an SSD so it boots and runs a lot of things quicker and the new ones with i5/7 processors are supposed to be coming out somewhat soon.  the extra display would just be my personal preference, sometimes its nice to be able to set up your laptop on a desk and use a bigger display for movies or whatever.  there's a lot of options for apple laptops, you really can't go wrong, it just comes down to personal preference.

rowenarrow wrote:
kix4kix wrote:
a macbook air or ipad as a secondary option to a pro?

If you still want the raw computing power the MBA all day, esp if you travel and don't want to add the weight. If you just want to get in and out of using the net the iPad.....
For me I travel a bit and the wight of my 2007 MBP is a bit of a drag and I no longer need the power it has because it was once my main comptuer, but now the setup is

Mac Min - for power use/home PC

iPad - mobile use, in-out internet access, ebooks, mags, movies,

MBA - (getting 2011 model) because I travel and there are times when you just need a laptop to get things done

iPhone - quick access and its my phone

i've never really understood getting an MBA in addition to a MBP, the weight/size difference IMO doesnt justify a $1000+ purchase.  i'd get an iPad personally.  i'm going with an iMac/iPad/iPhone combo right now and i love it
rowenarrow wrote:
Apple rumored to offer next-gen MacBook Airs with black finish

By Slash Lane
Published: 01:00 PM ESTApple is rumored to offer the option of a black finish on its next-generation Sandy Bridge powered MacBook Air ultraportable notebooks expected to arrive in the near future, but the source publication has posted an update shedding doubt on the rumor.

Update: Emails sent to the publication from an alleged Apple employee claim Apple experimented with black powder coated MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models, but Apple CEO Steve Jobs "killed the idea" because the coating soaks up body oils. "At some point we may offer a black coating, but it won't be powder coat, and it won't be anytime soon," the tipster wrote.

Citing "several anonymous tips," MacRumors reported on Monday that Apple will will offer "at least some models" of its next MacBook Air with a black finish. That would be different from the aluminum currently found on all MacBook Air models.

"The most specific of the claims suggests that a black anodized aluminum case would be available on a top-end MacBook Air model, in much the same way as Apple once offered a high-end black MacBook on top of the standard white offerings," the report said.

Author Eric Slivka said the site is "unable to confirm the rumors," but given the fact that numerous tips have been received, the information was shared "for interest and discussion."

Last week, AppleInsider revealed that Apple is expected to hold off on introducing any new Mac hardware until Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, its next-generation operating system, becomes publicly available. Lion will become available in the Mac App Store for $29.99in July, but it is believed that any new MacBook Air models would ship with the operating system preinstalled.

air-110620.png

AppleInsider also learned that Apple is ready to build nearly 400,000 next-generation MacBook Airs this month in preparation for the anticipated launch. The new hardware is expected to sport Intel's latest Sandy Bridge processors, as well as the new high-speed Thunderbolt port codeveloped by Apple and Intel.

The new thin-and-light MacBook Air launched in late 2010 with a new 11.6-inch model and a lower $999 introductory price. The device was an instant hit, and made the MacBook Air one of the most popular products in the Mac lineup overnight.

[table][/table]

Apple tried and failed to make Black MacBook Air

Originally Posted by Putting In Work

Hey maybe one of you guys "in the know" can throw me a bone... I'm trying to get Adobe Illustrater for my MacBook Pro 2008 I believe is the year.

Is there anywhere to get it for cheap and not the $800 dollars is cost to flat out buy it... please help... in desperate need of that program.

I may be able to get it for u...I just got Final Cut Pro for Mac PM me

I know the rumor is that a new MBA will be released later this year, but does anyone have a 13" one that released late 2010?
I just wanted to know which processor you have and how much actual battery life you are getting on it.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom