The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

I was listening to music on my '07 Macbook and it froze.  I waited a little and nothing happened.  Turned it off and restarted it, now it won't start up 
tired.gif

I get a flashing folder with a question mark and these weird noises like something broke inside.
30t6p3b.gif

RIP?

Originally Posted by JUS3

I was listening to music on my '07 Macbook and it froze.  I waited a little and nothing happened.  Turned it off and restarted it, now it won't start up 
tired.gif

I get a flashing folder with a question mark and these weird noises like something broke inside.
30t6p3b.gif

RIP?
Definitely could be a problem with your Apple Directory files and/or Hard Drive. Hit up some mac forums, I am sure that there will be people who could help you out quicker. If not, you could always go to Apple.com/support and research the posts there. 

Thinking about purchasing a MacBook Pro 13.3" at Best Buy. Is it wise to get the 2-year protection for $199 and a 2-year accidental protection plan for $349?

Originally Posted by Regal Black

Thinking about purchasing a MacBook Pro 13.3" at Best Buy. Is it wise to get the 2-year protection for $199 and a 2-year accidental protection plan for $349?

If you are referring to the AppleCare Protection Plan, then, yes. Even if you take care of things you own. The Protection Plan may come in handy if a problem arises with your MacBook Pro.
Anyone with the latest iMac w/ Thunderbolt? If so, how do you like it?

You dont need Apple Care if you get the Geek Squad services. I use to work at Best Buy and Geek Squad services seemed better to me, since theres a best buy everywhere if you need to get your joint serviced, but I see this thread praise Apple Care which doesnt have accidental protection.

tired.gif

30t6p3b.gif

RIP?
This happened on my black Macbook a few years ago. I took it to Apple and they said my hard drive was done. Some how, it was still under some sort of warranty and they fixed it for free. I wasn't the original owner so I guess the person before me got some sort of extended Apple Care or something.

so lately browsing on my MBP2011 15' on this new firefox i keep getting this popup on my screen that looks like this....

i always hit cancel... but it been getting annoying... has anybody else been having this problem?

Just picked up the new MacBook Pro 13.3" i5. Got a question, what is SSD? i see everyone mentioning it. What does it do and where can i get one?

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

so lately browsing on my MBP2011 15' on this new firefox i keep getting this popup on my screen that looks like this....

i always hit cancel... but it been getting annoying... has anybody else been having this problem?
You could have  the Mac Malware that has been going around. Is your OS updated to the current version? If not, I suggest you do that asap and you search how to rid of that malware.

Regal Black.  SSD are solid-state drives are the latest hard drives that can boot your OS and apps instantly. People refer to them because your could boot your OS and apps really fast without having that wait time for everything to load with a regular HD. It's really expensive and right now, not worth the price to purchase one. The HD you have that came with your MBP is good enough. Buy some ram from crucial.com and max your MBP to 8GB's and you are good to go!

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

You dont need Apple Care if you get the Geek Squad services. I use to work at Best Buy and Geek Squad services seemed better to me, since theres a best buy everywhere if you need to get your joint serviced, but I see this thread praise Apple Care which doesnt have accidental protection.

I know you referring to me,
laugh.gif
I'm not praising apple care, but having some sort of insurance on expensive product is better than nothing even if don't cover accidental damage. I work at best buy too ADH comes in the clutch. The macbookpro that i bought from 08' at that time, they were pushing applecare most than blacktie so i went with the apple care which i got for really cheap.

Best Buy protection plan> Apple care anyday

Originally Posted by Al Audi

so youre better off getting apple products from best buy instead of apple store?

not necessarily. If you want to use Best Buy financing/warranty program or take advantage of the BB gift card promo (which would yield you far more options that what Apple is currently offering with their back to school promo), then it might be better. Other than that, they're on equal footing

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

tired.gif

30t6p3b.gif

RIP?
Definitely could be a problem with your Apple Directory files and/or Hard Drive. Hit up some mac forums, I am sure that there will be people who could help you out quicker. If not, you could always go to Apple.com/support and research the posts there. 
ive got the same macbook and that's happened to me twice, once under warranty and once out of warranty.  your hard drive is done.  both times apple replaced mine with no charge and they were able to save all my stuff

***SERIOUS POST***

I am not a fan of apple by any means but from what I can see, they make one hell of a laptop

I have had a HP pc (laptop) for 1.5 years and the tomfoolery that I put up with is preposterous to say the least. Battery is fried somehow...have to plug it in, dumb slow, loud, and just a bunch of random stuff. My friend has a black macbook from 4 years back that still runs better than my hp ever did.

So....I am looking to get a macbook pro in August and I plan on using it in class and for everything else. Now I am no expert, but from what I understand I basically have a choice between the 13 in and the 15 in. Now the quad core 15 in seems
eek.gif
but the price after apple care, sales tax etc
30t6p3b.gif

So is there gonna be a crazy difference between the two? And where is the best place to shop? (as far as pricing are concerned)

how do I connect my macbook pro to my HDTV

I have a pre 2010 MBP so just using an HDMI cable will not work correct?
I know that I need a mini displayport to HDMI converter and can anyone recommend me a good one?
What I don't know is what cable or converter do I need for the sound? and if someone knows can you recommend me one also

any help is appreciated

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

laugh.gif
I'm not praising apple care, but having some sort of insurance on expensive product is better than nothing even if don't cover accidental damage. I work at best buy too ADH comes in the clutch. The macbookpro that i bought from 08' at that time, they were pushing applecare most than blacktie so i went with the apple care which i got for really cheap.

riddle me this 
my friend has a 09 macbook he purchased the 3 year accidental warranty plan...his idea is to drop it or spill water on it and what he gets a new macbook? i worked at bb but i figured if people try this they investigate the damage or something 

Originally Posted by theone218

I know that I need a mini displayport to HDMI converter and can anyone recommend me a good one?
What I don't know is what cable or converter do I need for the sound? and if someone knows can you recommend me one also

any help is appreciated

you just need the mini displayport and a hdmi cable...the 2010 models all transfer sound via mini display
i bought one of these on sale for 6$ to my surprise it came with a hdmi cable 
pimp.gif

http://www.meritline.com/...rchTerm=mini+displayport

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

***SERIOUS POST***

I am not a fan of apple by any means but from what I can see, they make one hell of a laptop

I have had a HP pc (laptop) for 1.5 years and the tomfoolery that I put up with is preposterous to say the least. Battery is fried somehow...have to plug it in, dumb slow, loud, and just a bunch of random stuff. My friend has a black macbook from 4 years back that still runs better than my hp ever did.

So....I am looking to get a macbook pro in August and I plan on using it in class and for everything else. Now I am no expert, but from what I understand I basically have a choice between the 13 in and the 15 in. Now the quad core 15 in seems
eek.gif
but the price after apple care, sales tax etc
30t6p3b.gif

So is there gonna be a crazy difference between the two? And where is the best place to shop? (as far as pricing are concerned)
quad cores are
eek.gif
but it really depends what you're going to be using it for
i'd say for 95% of users the base MBP would be fine, even the regular MB would be fine

if you plan on keeping it for a while though you might as well go for the 15 so it will be more future proof.  or maybe wait on the new MBA's and use the money saved to get an extra display for when you're using it at home

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Originally Posted by theone218

any help is appreciated

you just need the mini displayport and a hdmi cable...the 2010 models all transfer sound via mini display
i bought one of these on sale for 6$ to my surprise it came with a hdmi cable 
pimp.gif

http://www.meritline.com/...rchTerm=mini+displayport

the thing is i have a pre 2010 model i think its 09

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

laugh.gif

riddle me this 
my friend has a 09 macbook he purchased the 3 year accidental warranty plan...his idea is to drop it or spill water on it and what he gets a new macbook? i worked at bb but i figured if people try this they investigate the damage or something 

You can do that, but it can't be seen as neglect if its neglect they won't replace it you'll bee in mess . Also don't spill water or drop it, spill milk but DON'T drown the damm thing in milk(MUST NOT BE SEEN AS NEGLECT).
wink.gif
i've seen a person who got a new one for milk damage.

***disclaimer***
Don't come to me if they don't replace your friends macbook, its at his own risk.
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom