THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
PLEASE READ AND GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE EVOLUTION OF THE KOBE LINE:

It's funny how people are considering unloading their elite highs or starting to feel like they look "weird", when in reality the IX high was the first real breakthrough with the Kobe line since they introduced the original lows with the IV's. 

I am the biggest Kobe guy and have annually picked up a bunch of pairs of the Kobe line to ball in as well as rock casually. However, Looking back, not that much has changed from a visual design standpoint other than the materials from the Kobe IV. Kobe's IV-IX all feature the shozoku logo on the tongue, all feature the "Kobe" signature somewhere on the heel counter, and all feature the same size Nike swoosh logo on both sides of the shoe. Imagine if after the Jordan IV was released, Nike simply changed the materials of the shoe and simply used a variety of different patterns and textures? The Jordan line wouldn't have been what it is today. 

Look how different the Kobe I,II,III, and IV look compared to each other, then compare the Kobe IV-IX, it's a little uninspiring with the exception of the IX elite highs. Instead of each year having its own identity, Kobe's IV-VIII just look like an obsolete version of the Kobe's when the newest model (the IX's) release. I am willing to bet that next years Kobe's will be a low, with the Nike swoosh on both side, feature the shozoku on the tongue, have the Kobe signature somewhere on the heel counter, and feature whatever the latest Nike technology is that already debuted on some runner that year, i.e., flywire, lunar, or flyknit. I don't know I guess I am just disappointed in how formulaic the Kobe line became over the years and think it will really hurt its retro potential and legacy. I understand that their will never be a signature line that will match the Jordan line, but once they had success with the Kobe IV lows, Avar and the design really played it safe and didn't push the envelope much since then with the exception of the IX highs. Considering Kobe's age, you have to assume that he'll only have two or three signature shoes left before he retires, so it will be interesting to see how they'll end their run.  

Last edited:
Looking back I wish I would have at least went for the MP's. I passed because I thought there would be better cw's down the line, I was wrong so far.

a bit off topic but thoughts on putting the red philippine laces on the crimson lows? They will be extra becasuse Im tossing the navy laces in first thing.

I'm wondering if the fit will be the same as the elites or the Em low. I'm thinking more like the elites....not sure. Thoughts?

Last edited:
PLEASE READ AND GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE EVOLUTION OF THE KOBE LINE:

It's funny how people are considering unloading their elite highs or starting to feel like they look "weird", when in reality the IX high was the first real breakthrough with the Kobe line since they introduced the original lows with the IV's. 

I am the biggest Kobe guy and have annually picked up a bunch of pairs of the Kobe line to ball in as well as rock casually. However, Looking back, not that much has changed from a visual design standpoint other than the materials from the Kobe IV. Kobe's IV-IX all feature the shozoku logo on the tongue, all feature the "Kobe" signature somewhere on the heel counter, and all feature the same size Nike swoosh logo on both sides of the shoe. Imagine if after the Jordan IV was released, Nike simply changed the materials of the shoe and simply used a variety of different patterns and textures? The Jordan line wouldn't have been what it is today. 

Look how different the Kobe I,II,III, and IV look compared to each other, then compare the Kobe IV-IX, it's a little uninspiring with the exception of the IX elite highs. Instead of each year having its own identity, Kobe's IV-VIII just look like an obsolete version of the Kobe's when the newest model (the IX's) release. I am willing to bet that next years Kobe's will be a low, with the Nike swoosh on both side, feature the shozoku on the tongue, have the Kobe signature somewhere on the heel counter, and feature whatever the latest Nike technology is that already debuted on some runner that year, i.e., flywire, lunar, or flyknit. I don't know I guess I am just disappointed in how formulaic the Kobe line became over the years and think it will really hurt its retro potential and legacy. I understand that their will never be a signature line that will match the Jordan line, but once they had success with the Kobe IV lows, Avar and the design really played it safe and didn't push the envelope much since then with the exception of the IX highs. Considering Kobe's age, you have to assume that he'll only have two or three signature shoes left before he retires, so it will be interesting to see how they'll end their run.  
I can sort of see where you're coming from, although to me the whole Kobe line has always been about performance first above all else, which Kobe himself has said multiple times, so it kinda gets to a point where if he found a formula that works so well for him, why mess with it too much. I wouldn't mind seeing Avar & Co. try to make some more different aesthetic choices from year to year in terms of things like the swoosh placement, shozoku placement, etc, just to switch up the overall look of the shoes a bit more, so I agree with you there. And I think you also gotta include the Huarache 2K4s, 2K5s, and Hyperdunks in the discussion too as being part of the Kobe line, even if they didn't have Kobe's name attached, since he was the main Nike athlete that they were intended to be designed for.

But Kobe, by all accounts, works very closely with Avar throughout the design process, and he's obviously most invested in the overall performance of his shoes. So I think if performance is the main focus and Kobe knows that something works very, very well for him, they're probably more prone to wanting to make tweaks rather than wholesale changes just for the sake of looks. I also think Kobe wanting to stick to a low-top silhouette and to keep it as light as possible over the years also kind of limits certain design choices that Avar probably has, even though Avar is clearly capable of a range of different designs from the Pennys to the foamposite/flightposite to the hyperdunk to the Kobe line now, etc. Maybe you can say he's gotten a bit predictable with the Kobe line over the years since the IVs, but the guy definitely knows how to design a great shoe.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the similarity of the silhouette over the years because it just works so well. Aside from the VIIs, I've never really had any significant comfort/fit /performance issues when I try on the newest Kobe, and I'm always excited about trying the newest model cuz I can pretty much assume they'll be a great fit. I can't really say that with much confidence about Lebron's line or KD's line on any given year, even though I like those lines for different reasons. For me the Kobe line's main legacy will first be about having some of the best performing/fitting basketball shoes ever.

As for retro potential, Nike still likes money right? :lol: If they're retroing other old basketball shoes, air maxes, etc, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Kobe retros will be coming someday, especially when it's the one of their longest running signature lines in their history. Kobes have always had more of a niche following over the years compared to something like Jordans or Lebrons, but there will definitely be a fan base interested in buying them up. I think the Prelude pack was just a first test of that.

Last edited:
THIS. I really wanted to like them, but meh at most. Nike has created a thirst for these. Money saved for me. In fact, should be easier to cop those golds.

i know i will get flamed for this but these did not blow me away like the Philippines, when I first saw them. I feel like Nike left the details out in the Flyknit lows. They are just too plain all around. It is such a beautiful shoe and it has potential to be one of the best shoes of all time. So you know Nike will only put out boring colors in limited numbers. I will try for both but it is retail or bust right now. I hardly wear purple and i already have a couple black/white flyknits including the Details(which I prefer over the lows).

Philippines>>>both US Flyknit lows

yea i said it.

Ah okay. So I'm not alone. Yup, these first two FK lows are way, way too plain. Each of them are primarily one color.

Ah okay. So I'm not alone. Yup, these first two FK lows are way, way too plain. Each of them are primarily one color.
agreed on the white/black, but the 2 diff. purples with the silver swoosh and moon bottom is 
smokin.gif
 imo

Has anyone found a video review of the gold elite Kobe's?

Been able to find ones of the KD and Brons, but videos/photos seem to be a little more quiet for the kobes this time around...

I wonder if the Elite Lows will come in the same box as the KDs and Brons did this year.

I wish there was more color on the Hyper Grapes like the 8 Fades but they're coo. Hoping the Sept release isnt an all red shoe though.

I like the htms colors more and I dont give a damn about it being limited.

1 is a MP low and its safe to say the mp is the best 9 and 1 of the greatest shoes ever.I love the white and multicolor gum bottom especiallty for summer.Black is my favorite color so a black flyknit 9 is essential and the cool grey color is just clean and sleek which is dope.Simple but effective colorways and they look great.I love multlicolor for the summer but I feel like sometimes nike over does it and the overall shape of the em 9 just doesnt do it for me since I only wear for casual use.

I wish the details were released in a low instead of the beethovens.Details are sick.

Cant wait to see the red flyknits.

Last edited:
I wonder if the Elite Lows will come in the same box as the KDs and Brons did this year.

I wish there was more color on the Hyper Grapes like the 8 Fades but they're coo. Hoping the Sept release isnt an all red shoe though.
I wish, i hate the box for the high tops. Every single one of mine has gotten broken some in the shipping process!

Back
Top Bottom