The Official Flightposite 2014 Thread Vol. Carbons, H20, Possible Coppers

I'd cop at $250 if done correct. If Nike does that a year or two from now an rerelease these proper then maybe that will wake up the newer crowd. Their pairs of this retro would instantly lose any value it holds and it'll be a slap in the face to those who buys these.

I hate when people say this.

Last edited:
Just catching up.

Great reads in here fellas. 30 minutes well spent.

Good to see folks can properly articulate and re-articulate their views w/o a bunch of instigators and .gifs. Didn't know THAT life still existed here!

:smokin

Last edited:
Why? I just got the Kobe 9 Masterpiece for $225 plus tax. I don't see the problem paying $25 more for these if made on par with the original. I don't think many others would either.

Because that logic and resellers prices are the reason prices are jumping so much.

The ones from just six years ago were $180.

It's that attitude that rewards kids for getting good grades, what they should be doing anyway.

only a few topics even get talked about in this culture.....

bad retros

quality control

ogs > retros

nike knows they have a audience know matter what.some are just die hard nike fans and will buy anything with a swoosh,others are sheep, and some are og collectors who know a proper retro may never come so they wait till mark down and pick up.......either way they will sell.

it bugs me when people talk quality.you cant find a single pair of 93 mutombo or 92 challenge huaraches without cracking because they used vinyl which was cheaper.brands have always been cutting corners to save cash.i also remember plenty of sloppy paint jobs.

dont get me wrong i love ogs,and yes overall the quality was better but they werent perfect back then either.

nike didnt change these for cost,they changed to see what sticks to the wall.maybe it will work and maybe it wont but its well worth the risk of them trying after all nike got where they are by trying new things(also great marketing)......also they have a safety net known as the household name nike.

Just for the sake of convo, I don't think you can signal that as an indicator of poor quality. Shoes crack largely because of material choice on the midsole, as you know. I don't think the shoe holding up for 20 years was a foreseeable concern or goal at the time of production. They wanted to create a product that performed well on the court and provided reasonable value at its pricepoint. And, on those measures many of the shoes succeeded... even though speaking relatively, high end shoes were more expensive at retail then, than they are now. ...More on that in a minute.

Just catching up.

Great reads in here fellas. 30 minutes well spent.

Good to see folks can properly articulate and re-articulate their views w/o a bunch of instigators and .gifs. Didn't know THAT life still existed here!

:smokin

Salute!

Because that logic and resellers prices are the reason prices are jumping so much.

The ones from just six years ago were $180.

It's that attitude that rewards kids for getting good grades, what they should be doing anyway.

I feel you, but two quick points.

1. I think dude was basically just saying that, in a vacuum, he'd rather pay a bit more for a better product than less for an inferior product. Of course, we all [need to] draw the line somewhere, but the underlying sentiment is reasonable.

2. On this shoe, you are right - 180 a few years ago to this price jump is not cool. But, overall, if you consider inflation, a pair of $125 Jordans in 1996 cost more, in real dollars - purchasing power - than a $170 pair costs today. ...Now, there are certainly counterarguments to the whole raising prices over time issue - mainly that the cost at the outset also had to offset R/D and marketing, of which there is basically none of either when it comes to retros - but, it's not absurd on its face that prices go up. ....What you're complaining about is that Joe 17 year old sneaker (his parents really) seems to be insensitive to a rising price point. And, that I agree is a major problem. But, without them, we'd most likely still see climbing MSRPs.

Finally saw these in person today. Was reserving judgment until I did. As someone who owned 4 pairs of og's back in the day (including the CF's), these are not as bad as people are making them out to be. In fact, Imo, they're pretty damn nice. I understand the gripe about the inner-toe area, I truly do, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal in the overall design. I was pretty surprised that the carbon fibre weave looked as nice as it did. From all the pics, I assumed it would look like a print and be tough to see, but that wasn't the case at all. $210 is probably a bit pricey for this retro, but the quality & build are solid and the comfort is definitely there. I'll grab a pair and rock them with zero problems.

peace,
J

Finally saw these in person today. Was reserving judgment until I did. As someone who owned 4 pairs of og's back in the day (including the CF's), these are not as bad as people are making them out to be. In fact, Imo, they're pretty damn nice. I understand the gripe about the inner-toe area, I truly do, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal in the overall design. I was pretty surprised that the carbon fibre weave looked as nice as it did. From all the pics, I assumed it would look like a print and be tough to see, but that wasn't the case at all. $210 is probably a bit pricey for this retro, but the quality & build are solid and the comfort is definitely there. I'll grab a pair and rock them with zero problems.

peace,
J
Really hoping this is the case. I'm probably going to cop just to see in person. Place I have a 15% off NDC code so that helps

peace,
J
Could you expand more on the CF print? That's what I'm more concerned about. Does it look "fake"? Does it look textured like the OG?

Could you expand more on the CF print? That's what I'm more concerned about. Does it look "fake"? Does it look textured like the OG?

This is gonna be hard for me to accurately describe haha. Personally, I feel like it looks textured, but is smooth to the touch. Like Nike finished them in some sort of clear coat. The og's were more of a satin finish and these retros are little more glossy (but not nearly as glossy as, say, the red Foam 1's). Definitely doesn't look like a print/fake. Hope that helps a little.

peace,
J

Last edited:

Pic I snapped today -
Honestly, out of all the changes Nike made to this shoe, the carbon fiber print bothers me more so than the outsole.  Especially since Nike was able to put the correct pattern on the Lebron 11 Miami Nights.

Where would you find these if they were to hit the sales rack?

Presuming it doesn't sell well like the last time they retroed Flightposites

This is gonna be hard for me to accurately describe haha. Personally, I feel like it looks textured, but is smooth to the touch. Like Nike finished them in some sort of clear coat. The og's were more of a satin finish and these retros are little more glossy (but not nearly as glossy as, say, the red Foam 1's). Definitely doesn't look like a print/fake. Hope that helps a little.

Have you seen the Lebron XI Miami Nights?

Is it like that?

Where would you find these if they were to hit the sales rack?

Presuming it doesn't sell well like the last time they retroed Flightposites

I got three of the four colorways for less than retail. Eggplants were the more limited ones.

Honestly, out of all the changes Nike made to this shoe, the carbon fiber print bothers me more so than the outsole. Especially since Nike was able to put the correct pattern on the Lebron 11 Miami Nights.

I guess this answers my previous question :\

Were the uppers always that high though? It looks crazily high to me, but I've never owned any FPs.

No, but I don't think people wear them zipped up. At least I don't. They don't stay zipped up anyway if they don't have the tab at the top. Maybe this is a way they stay zipped up.

The height isn't that big of a deal to me.

Last edited:
Have you seen the Lebron XI Miami Nights?

I guess this answers my previous question
ohwell.gif

I was referring to the pattern of the carbon fiber, not necessarily the finish.

1999 Carbon Flights and

Lebron 11 Miami Nights have

a twill weave.

2014 Carbon Fiber Flightposites have

a plain weave.

I guess what I was getting at was I prefer this 

rather than 

and the change in weave styles bother me more than the glossy finish and the outsole.

I knew what you meant when you mentioned the Miami Nights. That's why I edited my post.

But good looks on the pictures to explain the differences to people, and why people are upset by it.

What makes it worse is they just did the pattern correct a couple of months ago. :smh:

I'm probably going to cop since I'll be able to use my 15% off coupon nike have me. It'll come out to $170 for me

Back
Top Bottom