The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

Boku no Hero Academia
I have never seen so many death flags for one character in a manga. :lol:

Boku no Hero Academia
I have never seen so many death flags for one character in a manga.
laugh.gif
I feel like he's going to beat him but it's gonna cost him his life. And then the fight continues with their proteges.

bleach is so predictable it's not even worth criticizing anymore.

One piece tho... how is he keeping up with this expansive world. I love ODA

I was really confused how they got to that fight? I think the chapter before their fight started wasn't Kurapika talking the baby prince's mom?

Dead Tube  (Ecchi, Nice story, Good gore)

Trash! (Gore, comedy, and the main characters are nice to look at)

Chimamire Sukeban Chainsaw (Older one but the story is funny and the action scenes are nice)

Fukushuu Kyou****su  (Thriller, School girl that got bullied takes her revenge on her classmates)

And this one right here is just creepy af  ==>   Kichikujima (To crazy to even describe)
caught up on all of these 
eek.gif

Diamond is Unbreakable
What a gruesome episode. :lol:
I'd still try the food though.... :nerd:

Chrollo cheap as hell stealing A class techniques from his own members and using them to fight Hisoka

Hope i am wrong but I think Hisoka will die

I will be very upset if Chrollo is unharmed after the fight

Was super wrong with my Mayogia prediction

Did not expect that outcome

Edit:
Kizaniver!
HOT D@MN!
:nthat: :nthat:

Last edited:

gantz was the first manga i ever read so it pretty much covered all bases

just read a weird one called sekaioni 
nerd.gif

also started inu yashiki 
eek.gif
Inu Yashiki is a good read

Especially when you get further pass the Old Man arc.
nerd.gif

I'll give Sekaioni a look see. Thanks fam

Finished Turn-A Gundam a few days ago. Here's a review for anyone that's interested (Gotta split it into parts, because everyone should know by now that my reviews are long as **** :lol: )

Opening

I've had this series on my list for a while, at least 2 years now, but have never gotten around to it due to pure laziness :lol:xg: With it currently being summer I have a good amount of free time on my hands, so I decided that I would attempt to knock a few anime off my list. I wasn't sure which one to start with (because my list has over 100 shows on it), but i'm a huge Gundam fan so it seemed fitting to start with one of them. I thought about actually spending the summer going through every single Gundam series (That I could get through anyways), but there are too many anime in other genres and franchises that i'm interested in at the moment to do that, though I do think that i'll make another Gundam series the next show I watch. Pretty proud of myself, as I managed to knock this one out in a week and it was 50 episodes. Hopefully I can maintain that pace for the rest of the summer, getting in around 6-7 more shows by the start of August, after which I might then spend the entire month on a longer series. So that being said, what did I think about Turn-A Gundam?

Characters

I'll say, first and foremost, I was very impressed. I didn't have much in the way of expectations beforehand. I've seen plenty of Gundam shows so I could have expected something high quality, but i've seen a series or two that I didn't really care for, so I knew that there was always the chance of getting a dud. After watching the show however I can say that I fully understand why many rank this show so highly on their Gundam lists and i'll personally say that I consider it to be one of the best that Tomino ever produced. It is similar to many of his other works. The pacing feels a little slow at times, the finale feels slightly rushed, and the characters for the most part are exactly the same at the end of the story as they were at the start and it's that last point i'd like to touch on, because Tomino uses this habit of his to good effect here. For one thing, while most of the characters remain the same not all of them do and no character's overall situation is left unchanged. Guin Rhineford for example starts the series off as a very important man, the heir to an entire country, organizer of the local militia, and the main person who has been in contact with the Moonrace before the story begins. By the end of it however, he's been severely humbled. He's lost every single thing he owned, has no authority, and actually has to hide his identity because of some of the actions he took during the war with the Moonrace. There are legitimate consequences for his actions.

Loran Cehack, our main character and hero, is similar. He starts the story coming to Earth with his friends, as an advance scout for the Moonrace to see what life on Earth is like. He gets a job in a mine, before then switching to driving around the family that owns the mine. Before long, as with many other teens before him, he falls into a Gundam and ends up fighting on the front lines, as the main force of the Earth militia. Like Guin, Loran does not change throughout our story. He remains true to himself the entire time and being a humble person (probably even too humble in all honesty) he does not have to go through any bad events to change him for the better or teach him a lesson. If anything, Loran serves to send us a message, just like Guin does. Loran ends the series living with the Queen of the Moonrace, Dianna, in a nice little house in the country, simply watching over and caring for her. Notably, there is nothing romantic about this relationship, partially due to Dianna being centuries-thousands of years older than Loran, due to cryogenic freezing, and partly because they have been written in a chivalrous manner. Loran is the virtuous Knight to Dianna's gentle, yet also fierce lady. So for Loran this is the perfect situation, caring for the person that he is absolutely devoted to and has been since the first episode. This gives us the basic message that Loran was right and Guin was wrong, even though they are not necessarily placed at odds in such a way during the story. But Guin suffers for his actions and doesn't get anything he wanted. Loran was entirely selfless throughout the series and does get what he wanted, even though that also deals with him still being selfless

There is then Queen Dianna and Kihel Heim to deal with, the Queen of the Moon and the daughter of a prosperous mine owner. They also happen to be identical in appearance. Let me say that Kihel is the character that grows the most in this series and it is entirely because of her relationship with Dianna. A little under midway through the series the two characters end up switching places, with no one being the wiser for the longest time. It's a Prince and the Pauper type deal for all intents and purposes, seeing how the other half lives. The interesting thing is that they don't switch back within a few episodes. No, they keep up this charade for a good chunk of the series and people are then confusing the two for the rest of the series, and even begin referring to both by their own or the others name within the same sentence, since it just becomes easier to do so. Despite the confusion for the characters it is always clear to the viewer which one is which, primarily through their personal thoughts. We do not know much about Dianna before this switch takes place, so we're really learning about her for the first time. Even then however we are able to see her going through situations that a Queen typically wouldn't, such as working at a field hospital as a nurse, driving her own car, firing a gun, being involved in battles, etc. All of it does an excellent job fleshing out just what kind of person she is and is nicely contrasted with her continually thinking about her duties as Queen. Furthermore, her time as Kihel gives her the opportunity to view the effects of her actions on the Earth firsthand. She see's the suffering of the people and realizes that while she might have had good intentions she did not necessarily go about things in the best manner. In turn, Kihel grows up during her time as Queen of the Moon. She made it clear from the start that she didn't want to be a regular girl who went to school and got married, marking her as a strong-willed character, but she was still relying on others to dictate her fate. As a Queen it is the exact opposite. She becomes responsible for an entire race and a growing war, neither of which she was groomed to handle. Watching her equip herself in the situation, making mistakes, but achieving success at the same time, is one of the best subplots in the series. After following both characters and getting to know them it then isn't a surprise when Dianna and Kihel choose to permanently switch places in the epilogue, with Kihel returning to the moon as its Queen.

The Finale

I mentioned that the finale felt somewhat rushed and that's because around that point the episodes begin having skips in time of various lengths between them, whereas most of the early episodes really just continue one after the other, from event to event. And when skips in time happen they are clear. By the end of the series there is a massive war happening, you can tell that it's happening, but you don't see all of it happening. This can leave you feeling almost as if you missed a scene somewhere, because characters will just be shown in one place and you'll have no idea how they got there. The writing and dialogue always inform you of why they are there however. The final portion of the war really condenses certain events, such as Gym's attacking of various major cities. At the same time though I can understand why it's being handled in the way it is, since we're nearing the 50th episode mark. For this I would only say that maybe a previous arc could have been shortened an episode or two for that time to then be placed at the series end, just to give us a little more detail about Gym's war against the Earth and the uniting of the various militia to fight against him and Guin. I also can't say that Gym, as the Big Bad, was poorly used. I think he was properly built up over the course of the series so that by the time he showed up you had some idea of what to expect, and that he then didn't dissappoint in the slightest. Besides just having the Gundam that was the counterpart to Loran's, he himself is something of a counter to Loran, challenging him and his ideals at the philosophical level, which no other character in the series does.

The Plot
I think the development of the war between Earth and the Moon in this series is the best that i've seen in the entire Gundam franchise. Any student who has studied a little of our history could tell me that there are numerous different factors that go into a war happening and Turn-A nails that. The people of Earth are the descendants of the people that didn't leave when disaster struck and have been living there the entire time. It's their home. The people of the Moon however are also descendants of people from Earth and could be said to have just as much right to live on Earth as their counterparts. Guin has a lot of political authority and wishes to fight agains the Moonrace at first, but he's easily outmatched and moves on to negotiations to ensure peace. But he's leading a militia full of untrained men and women who at the drop of the hat fly off to fight the soldiers of the moon race, because they're defending their home. The Moonrace responsds in kind, because they have the right to defend themselves. One side blames the other for this action or that action, with both showing equal amounts of failings when it comes to discipline. And before anybody knows it they've wound up at war. Because the series starts off with the two sides attempting to negotiate a peace, to find some type of balence, every single thing that happens between them is critical and has the potential to be that spark that starts the way. It really is two different groups meeting for the first time, so conflict is natural. This gives a weight and important to the early events of the series that other Gundam series lack. And all the different reasons for the war just keep piling on top of each other, until you reach the point where you realize that neither Dianna or Guin has complete control over it anymore and the war just happens, even though neither of them wanted it

What makes this so great is that, though there is an extreme amount of prejudice between the two groups, they are almost identical (Which makes sense of course, since they're again all descended from the same group at the end of the day). As I said previously, when it comes to war both have soldiers that they can't control, who ignore the desires of their leaders. Both have leaders who are attempting to achieve peace. Both have civilian populations that are just trying to live their lives, but feel threatened by the other side. And so on. Neither side is ever really presented as being evil during this series. That label only really applies to a few characters. Even, there is a point where some of Dianna's soldiers stage a coup against her. Given what we know of Dianna it is easy to get angry at them and say that they're in the wrong, but from their point of view they have a Queen that isn't listening to them, her people, who forced them to come to Earth in the first place. Though they don't know it, she herself is also somewhat irresponsible, in that she lets some random girl that looks like her take her place. Good and bad decisions are everywhere and people suffer for it. I'll also say that the theme or prejudice is well handled here as well. It is clear to the viewer that it isn't necessarily logical, with both sides again being extremely similar, but you're able to understand why the prejudice happens. This is important to me when it comes to any piece of fiction, the ability to understand the motivations of the characters and even some of the worst villains have key moments where you can agree with what they're saying to an extent.

Designs
Going into this series I was on the fence about the designs. Turn-A is unlike any other Gundam i've ever seen before and I think the first time I saw it I just didn't even know what to think of it. It grows on you however (Turn-X not so much). There are also some mobile suit designs that are unlike anything else you'll see in most Gundam series, having a completely unique look to them. This actually works very well to differentiate the people of Earth from the people of the Moon. They have been apart from one another for thousands of years, so it is understandable that they would have differences. You see it in their culture when our main cast goes to the Moon, you see it in the way the Moonrace soldiers behave on Earth, and you see it in their mobile suit designs. This contrast is made even greater because the Earth militia is set up to only use mobile suits that are from the past. So in the series and outside it the designs of the suits they're using are old as hell. The Turn-A is the big exception and even then it's still very clearly a Gundam. The fact that the Earth militia is stuck using older mobile suits also places them in a unique position for Gundam, where not only are they outmatched, they are unable to even compete with their enemies on any level for a good while. They're the worst kind of underdogs, babies fighting against a lion. You still need interesting conflict however and it's fun to watch the way that the characters come up with manuevers and techniques to match their opponents, though the Gundam of course is the one that tips the scales for most of the series. I also think that it was a good decision to have the militia using older mobile suits, because that gives viewers something familiar to latch onto when they're seeing so many different mobiles suits that go against normal trends.

The Dark History
The Dark History. By now I think that the majority of Gundam fans are aware of this twist, even before they watch the series. I know I was. I'll say that this is probably the greatest reveal in Gundam history. What's even better however is the setup for it. The Dark History is constantly referenced as the series goes on, with viewers being given a little bit more each time. And different characters and events play a part in these reveals, with some being genuinely shocking. It didn't have the effect because I was aware of the reveal from the start, but had I not know about the Dark History I imagine that I would have been pouring over all the different pieces of information I was being given and trying to piece them together to figure out the big secret. And that's something fun for the fans. Furthermore, it's the best kind of fanservice, one that rewards viewers of previous entries in the franchise. Whether you end up liking the twist or not it is definitely handled well. And that goes for numerous other details in this series. Tomino was really firing on all cylinders here, carefully developing the conflict, the history, and the world that he was working in. Every main character has a unique personality and all of their stories are wrapped up by the end. Most shockingly of all, barely anyone dies. For the militia there is only one named character that actually dies in the series. Based on Tomino's other series that's a pretty big deal, but that character's death was used to good effect. I really don't think you'd see the death coming beforehand.

Conclusion
This is the series that saw Tomino manage to overcome his long battle with despression and I think it shows. It isn't only because so few named characters die however. It's also because of the Dark History, the nature of the conflict between the Earth and the Moon, and the development of the war. All of it is him looking back on this franchise that he created, linking all of it together, combining it with his past depression, and giving viewers a powerful message about the importance of not repeating history and accepting the past. In doing so he actually manages to completely do away with certain tropes and messages that he emphasized in other series.

I'll also say that I think the epilogue to this series, specifically the music playing over it, is my favorite in the franchise.

I'm actually a little sad now lol because I have to take Turn-A off my list when it's been on there for so long. :lol: Also need to pick my next anime. Going to stick with Gundam for this second one and then branch out for the 3rd. I think it'd be best to not pick a series in the Universal Century, because of all the connections between each entry. I'd go with Thunderbolt if it was already completed. I've been meaning to watch G Gundam, but i'm not in the mood for that type of series right now. Think i'll go with Wing, another series i've been meaning to watch again, as the only time i've actually seen it was when it was on Toonami back in the 90s. Yet it remains one of my favorite anime of all time. Going to be interesting to see how it holds up.

Fairy Tale was |I this week. Sheesh

Magi looks like its about to turn up again real soon though.

I stopped reading Fairy Tail about 5 months ago. I love the art, i love the powers i hate the outcome of ALL fights

starting shokugei and my hero Academia this week

Was super wrong with my Mayoiga prediction

Did not expect that outcome

Edit:
Kizaniver!
HOT D@MN!
:nthat: :nthat:

I didn't expect that at all in Mayoiga but I'm not surprised either for some reason. Guess I never really took any of them off of the 'suspicious' list :lol:

I'm just glad that the story is finally coming together.

Trigger always comes through with one or two heavy *** episodes, and what they did in Kiznaiver might be my favorite. I might just be a prisoner of the moment though. Episode just felt like it was hitting on every last cylinder. Gonna be very interesting to see how they wrap it up.

Re: Zero and Boku no Hero Academia never miss so there's nothing to even really say there besides :pimp:

Last edited:
Fairy tail,seven deadly sins, and Tokyo ghoul re:,
what a heavy way to start my Monday [emoji]128517[/emoji]

I didn't expect that at all in Mayoiga but I'm not surprised either for some reason. Guess I never really took any of them off of the 'suspicious' list
laugh.gif

I'm just glad that the story is finally coming together.

Trigger always comes through with one or two heavy *** episodes, and what they did in Kiznaiver might be my favorite. I might just be a prisoner of the moment though. Episode just felt like it was hitting on every last cylinder. Gonna be very interesting to see how they wrap it up.

Re: Zero and Boku no Hero Academia never miss so there's nothing to even really say there besides
pimp.gif
I gotta check out Re: Zero

The responses when I check the thread keep pulling my attention.
nerd.gif

Sucks that there's only 12 episodes of Mayoiga and Kiznaiver

These were well worth the watch

Hoping Trigger comes through next year

Summer 2016 Anime List looking a little light

Back
Top Bottom