The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

bruh I read like the first 30 chapters of the manga, then stopped. then that whole mermaid arc. then the secret frozen science facility arc.

and when the lower torso of a samurai was having a conversation with thm i was like ok **** this **** and stopped.

i didn't even care who the evil nazi ghost scientist was.

i'm good. **** is cheesy trash. maybe 13 year old me would have liked it but current me thinks it's ***.

tho i prob will give it one more try when naruto ends
laugh.gif
So you skipped from the first 30 chapters all the way to after the time skip and were confused and wondering why you couldn't get immersed in the story? Punk Hazard (the arc with the samurai torso) was set up for the current arc. Fishman Island was probably the weakest arc to date and to see the significance of the arc you'd need early information from the story. That's a pretty limited sample size that's also taken out of context, but everything's not for everybody. 

lol How you gonna skip around?

Atleast when I say I don't bleach, I can say I read the first 60 chapters and was like it wasn't for me. I might try again when its finished tho

People in this thread told me to jump to the time skip!

laugh.gif
Idk why anyone would tell you that unless they don't understand how One Piece works. It's a story that constantly builds and a lot is established early on. Plus the earlier arcs are needed to understand and enjoy the characters and story. Starting at the timeskip is makes 0 sense. It's not a new story at the time skip it's just moving to the 2nd half of the already established story.

Put me on tge list of one piece haters. Imo the art in the manga is terrible. Squinting, trying to figure out what is going on, character models. I just cant do it.

I actually did like the anime but some of the arcs are just trash and useless. Like i watched it up until after crocodile or so. But then i started watching the skypeia and tgen it got boring.

I recently watched the Marineford arc and it was dope and the after time skip meet up was okay but then they lost me woth the fishman arc

And im all for goofy and zany anime/manga but one piece doesnt resonate with me at all. I cant stand most of the characters, the humor is pretty miss woth me

Psycho Pass season 2 starts today. :pimp:

Edit:
Season 2 is off to a great start. :wow: :pimp:

Last edited:
you guys can hate the OP art all you want but i only look at the chapters to see frankys new design and  reactions to said design 
laugh.gif

People in this thread told me to jump to the time skip!

:lol:

I think people meant to either start at Alabasta arc or Waterloo.

for those saying it's too cartoony..or 13 year old you would like it ........smh you're reading Manga at your current age....lmao.

what are you reading thats not "Cartoony"
OP brings the Lolz but it's actually pretty serious and deep when it gets to the core of the problem in that arc.

(to continue my cartoony rant)

if you read naruto and you went from pre time skip where it was actually ninjutsu vs ninjutsu. This element cancels this element.... this style can beat this style. That was cool.
Then you go to Shippudden, where people are immortal or able to give life force to others or appear after being dead and give someone 2 eyes.
or just be in straight OD mode.

And you complain about One piece being "Cartoony"

I'll even admit bleach has done a good job of never letting power levels get too out of control. Ichigo could and always has been able to get beat and the same for al the other characters.

I dropped OP literally 5 times before marathoning it through. I had to force my way through the early arcs but once you hit Water 7 it gets great. Everything from Saboady to right up to the time skip is absolutely flawless & makes you realize why the first couple hundred episodes were worth watching.

Last edited:
Idk how anyone skips arc in One Piece and expects to understand the subplots at play and the smaller mysterious in the series. I always see people say skip skypeia or just go to alabasta or skip to water 7. Look at all the stuff you miss just in the pretime skip arcs, a lot of which is still in play currently.
Man if you skip chapter 1  or the romance dawn arc you miss the significance of Shanks, how Luffy gets his powers, devil fruits, how Luffy gets the hat. Luffy meeting Coby, how he recruits Zoro and Zoro's backstory.

Skip Orange town you miss Buggy, more info on Devil Fruits, how Luffy meets Nami, the foreshadowing of Rayleigh and what crew Buggy and Shanks were on.

Skip Syrup Village you miss Captain Kuro, the fact the marine he had hypnotized was Captain Morgan. You miss Ussop's backstory and the fact his dad is on Shank's crew, and you miss how they get the Going Merry.

Skip Baratie you miss Sanji's recruitment and backstory, the fact that the 1st half of the grand line is called Paradise, Mihawk, the event that changes Zoro's personality, and Luffy vs Krieg.

Then you have Arlong park where you learn about fishmen, foreshadowing to Jinbe, Nami's backstory, more marine corruption

Loguetown you get Luffy's near execution, introduction to Smoker and logia fruits, Dragon.

Then reverse mountain has Laboon who sets up for Brook down the road and Crocus

Whiskey Peak introduces Robin and sets the stage for Baroque works and we are told of the Warlord system.

Little Garden you learn about Elbaf and meet Dorry and Broggy who are important when Enies Lobby comes around, plus it's the point where the crew has to find a doctor.

Drum Island you get Chopper, zoan fruits, Dr. Kureha, Wapol who is important for making wapol metal, and you learn about the Revire, plus you get the great speech by Hiraluk during choppers backstory. and a small hint about the importance of the D initial and Blackbeard is first mentioned.

Alabasta you get Crocodile, information that devil fruits can continually be trained and enhanced, find out about poneglyphs, and the ancient weapons and the strawhats now have their first major royal ally. Also Ace gets introduced and hints of Whitebeard and the fact Ace is chasing blackbeard, Sanji's Mr. Prince persona, and devil fruits can be given to objects, and the fact that their is a Void Century in history

Jaya sets up skypeia, plus blackbeard and bellamy's intro. Plus the story of Montbloc Norland, introduction of whitebeard, and the summit of warlords shows Sengoku, Mihawk, Kuma, and Doffy.

Skypeia tells about Sky Islands, Observation Haki aka Mantra, the dials allow Ussop to get a power boost and it lets him upgrade the climatact, Zoro learns flying slashes, foreshadowing of the Klabautermann, Enel, more info on Norland, more info on Roger and the poneglyphs, natural weaknesses for devil fruits besides water and sea stone.

Long Ring Long Land- Afro Luffy and it at the end of the arc Luffy meets Aokiji and realizes he needs to step things up which leads to him coming up with Gear 2, more info on Robin, and Aokiji freezes the ocean to let the old guy get back to his tribe and so he can ride his back on the ocean, this leads to the extremely violent Aqua Laguna due to Aokiji's ice melting and adding extra water.

Water 7- Robin leaving, Ussop vs Luffy, Franky's intro and backstory, CP9, Merry being unable to sale, Ussop leaving, sea train, Tom, more government corruption, Luffy learns Soru, the beginning of the tonal shift of the series

Enies Lobby- Robin's backstory, Gear 2 and 3, Asura, Diable Jamble, the fact Luffy is pushing himself further and further to defeat enemies, Buster call, and Merry's Funeral.

Post Enies Lobby- Garp, Bounty raises, Ace vs Blackbeard, Thousand Sunny, info on the Yonkou and intro on the New World and Vegapunk gets mentioned, Luffy's father is mentioned

Thriller Bark- Brook, tie in to Laboon, Moriah, Kuma and Zoro, the fact Moriah lost to Kaidou, Ryuma and how Zoro gets Shusui, vivre cards, Luffy gets captain john marker

Saboady- 11 supernovas, Camie, the return of Hachi from Arlong park, Duval, Celestial dragons are introduced, slave trading and hints of the underworld run by Doffy, Pacifistas, Strawhat separation, meeting Rayleigh, Kizaru, 1st hint of armourment haki, first hint of Luffy getting conquers Haki.

Amazon Lily- Boa Hancock, alerting Luffy of Ace's execution, island of haki users

Impel Down- Buggy returns, Magellan is introduced, more world building, Jinbe is introduced, Ivankov, Mr. 2 returns, Crocodile returns, etc.

Marineford- 1st time we see top tiers really fighting, Whitebeard, Akainu, lots of character introductions, reveal of Ace's father, etc.

Post Marineford- Law saves Luffy, Luffy's backstory, Rayleigh comes help Luffy to plan for 3d2y

Last edited:
One Piece is mad goofy but the worldbuilding is amazing. Oda is like Tolkien when it comes to developing and expanding his universe. People overrate the amount of foreshadowing he does, but he is certainly highly consistent with his storytelling and the grand scheme of the plot.

Luffy is MORE of a generic shonen protagonist than even Goku--because even Goku went through some pretty solid character development through the sagas (even if DB does chronicle Goku's life from age 11 to his 40s). Even so, Luffy is a very endearing character who you root for every time.

The character designs are wonky as **** and get wonkier every year; folks who are 10 feet tall and taller for just no reason, dudes with gigantic upper body muscles and toothpick legs, people with hair shaped like objects, but it works with Oda's art style.

I never had a problem with Oda's art style; I've been reading One Piece since age 11 so that may have something to do with it. But if you look at the art from the earlier chapters, it certainly gets 100000x better around the Skypeia arc. Now, I've learned to appreciate Oda's art.

The villains are all just disgusting human beings, but they still generally have detailed backstories that anchor them to the plot and the themes of the story. The current villain, Doflamingo, is a total scumbag piece of **** but still an amazing character.

You gotta read One Piece in bulk, though. Oda's pacing is God-awful because of all the characters and plot threads he has to juggle. This is Oda's major failing; many chapters are mostly dialogue, slapstick comedy, and characters running from point A to B. The anime team makes this even worse. Recent episodes of the anime 
mean.gif

Another major flaw in One Piece is the utter lack of tension. Most of the time the arc ends with the villain punched out, every good guy alive, and the crew having a party with the locals of whatever country they're currently in. Marineford was different, but after that things went back to the status quo, except for a few specific instances. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the damn near 20 years of One Piece, literally four named characters have died. In a world full of cutthroat psychotic pirates and ruthless Marines.

CHARACTERS IN ONE PIECE RARELY EVER DIE UNLESS IT'S IN A FLASHBACK.

But reading One Piece weekly doesn't do the series justice. I stopped reading around Alabasta, and then I marathoned from Alabasta all the way through the end of Marineford back in '10.

A great reading experience, if you read it...in One Piece

Last edited:
That's actually why I always put it on the backburner. I'm up to the beginning of the Fishman Island Arc and paused again so I'm always wild far behind until it finishes because I know I just wouldn't be too into the week-by-week schedule with a series like this.

yeah i powered thru the anime all the way until punk hazard like the end. was hooked when i got to enies lobby.

That's actually why I always put it on the backburner. I'm up to the beginning of the Fishman Island Arc and paused again so I'm always wild far behind until it finishes because I know I just wouldn't be too into the week-by-week schedule with a series like this.
You got like 160 chapters to read if you're at the very beginning of fishman island. Idk if you want to wait till Dressrosa is over or not, but Dressrosa is live

I can't watch darker than black anymore pacing is to slow and just bland overall but on a good note I plan on watching psycho pass beginning with season 1 and also attack on titan

sidenote: all this talk about naruto fighting saskue what if kishimoto pulls a dragonball (i.e goku lose the first 2 world tournaments before finally he won) would you guys think he ended it on a good note if shikumara becomes the 6th hokage but gives it up to naruto outta respect

Idk how anyone skips arc in One Piece and expects to understand the subplots at play and the smaller mysterious in the series. I always see people say skip skypeia or just go to alabasta or skip to water 7. Look at all the stuff you miss just in the pretime skip arcs, a lot of which is still in play currently.
[/SPOILER]
Long Ring Long Land This is Captain Davie Jones right.
This was the worst arc imo but still full of lolz

I also thought we got introduced to Haki with CP9 or was that another style??

A great reading experience, if you read it...in One Piece

I see what you id there lmao.

sidenote: all this talk about naruto fighting saskue what if kishimoto pulls a dragonball (i.e goku lose the first 2 world tournaments before finally he won) would you guys think he ended it on a good note if shikumara becomes the 6th hokage but gives it up to naruto outta respect
It would go to Kakashi first.

to jump off the Naruto and OP train for a second.

Let's have a round of applause for Fairy tail having about a good 3 months of quality chapters.

PS.
LEB 13 held me down with Onepace if anyone needs let me know Think of it DBZ Kai

Last edited:
You are wildn saying that goku had character development in DB. He's been the same character that he's been from the first episode. No depth and consistent. vegeta and piccolo had character development

Long Ring Long Land This is Captain Davie Jones right.
This was the worst arc imo but still full of lolz

I also thought we got introduced to Haki with CP9 or was that another style??

Let's have a round of applause for Fairy tail having about a good 3 months of quality chapters.

PS.
LEB 13 held me down with Onepace if anyone needs let me know Think of it DBZ Kai
Yeah Long Ring Long Land was the davy back fight. Just a light arc between Skypeia and Water 7 since that was gonna be heavy the anime extends it, but yeah it's like the only skippable arc except for the last 2 chapters of it and unless you wanna see Afro Luffy. Cp9 used Rokushiki it was a form of martial arts that came from developing your body to a high level. They recruit kids and train them to build up their bodies then teach them the techniques. 

I didn't like the Igneel reveal in fairy tail and I don't think I liked last chapter either. The couple before those were pretty good. 

Yeah Long Ring Long Land was the davy back fight. Just a light arc between Skypeia and Water 7 since that was gonna be heavy the anime extends it, but yeah it's like the only skippable arc except for the last 2 chapters of it and unless you wanna see Afro Luffy. Cp9 used Rokushiki it was a form of martial arts that came from developing your body to a high level. They recruit kids and train them to build up their bodies then teach them the techniques. 

I didn't like the Igneel reveal in fairy tail and I don't think I liked last chapter either. The couple before those were pretty good. 

Speaking of Skypeia, I loved it, I think Enel was a beast logia user, and probably could've been amongst the best , he was just a bad match for luffy.

He could technically be better than Kizaru with the powers.

Yea Igneel could've been a better reveal or handled but I wasn't mad at it.
This last chapter, im not surprised. and wondering if she'll stay that way.

You got like 160 chapters to read if you're at the very beginning of fishman island. Idk if you want to wait till Dressrosa is over or not, but Dressrosa is live

This is actually the sole series that I only follow the anime of.

I assume Dressrosa hasn't been animated yet, so I'll just wait.

Actually, they are pretty far into Dressrosa now. I'd say between 1/3 to 1/2 through the current arc.

In the anime they're about 33 chapters into Dressrosa. They try to remain around 30 chapters behind the manga so it'd be chapter 733 or 734 of the manga this week being animated. 

Back
Top Bottom