The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

I actually finished the demon slayer manga this weekend, (finished all 205 chaps in 2 days) im so glad the spoiler i read last year on the ending, wasn't the end. (basically the boss fight)
I think the manga was really really good.

if the creator had known it was going to be so popular they could've stretched out Demon Slayer for atleast another 200 chapters.
only thing i wasnt feeling was getting the background of damn near every demon. It was new and different but I could've used more info on the past Hashiras that were still alive. Like how were they alive and why they retired if they were still considered stronger than half the demon corps.
what happened to the ranks of the other demon corps.
who else besides the Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke was close to that top spot on the rankings.
(naruto comparison)
it was like them only showing us who Team 7 was but never exploring the other genin, chunin, jounin, anbu...etc.
it was like here is Team 7 and here are the Kages. thasssittt.
but solid story, solid ending. I dont know where to rank it in my personal manga rankings because I would've like it to address my questions above. but at the same time, I like that it was to the point and the story progressed rather well.

also kinda glad no new threat just popped up in the future. it was just closed out. I really hope the author gets her $$$$ tho. because once the movie becomes more available and season 2 starts Demon Slayer has the potential to sky rocket

I actually finished the demon slayer manga this weekend, (finished all 205 chaps in 2 days) im so glad the spoiler i read last year on the ending, wasn't the end. (basically the boss fight)
I think the manga was really really good.

if the creator had known it was going to be so popular they could've stretched out Demon Slayer for atleast another 200 chapters.
only thing i wasnt feeling was getting the background of damn near every demon. It was new and different but I could've used more info on the past Hashiras that were still alive. Like how were they alive and why they retired if they were still considered stronger than half the demon corps.
what happened to the ranks of the other demon corps.
who else besides the Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke was close to that top spot on the rankings.
(naruto comparison)
it was like them only showing us who Team 7 was but never exploring the other genin, chunin, jounin, anbu...etc.
it was like here is Team 7 and here are the Kages. thasssittt.
but solid story, solid ending. I dont know where to rank it in my personal manga rankings because I would've like it to address my questions above. but at the same time, I like that it was to the point and the story progressed rather well.

also kinda glad no new threat just popped up in the future. it was just closed out. I really hope the author gets her $$$$ tho. because once the movie becomes more available and season 2 starts Demon Slayer has the potential to sky rocket

I think shorter series is going to be the new move for Jump. Shorter series to deal with shorter attention spans b/c all these series are very fast paced, find hits, get very strong anime adaptations, cash in when people go buy the volumes in bulk. MHA is gonna come to a close soon probably, JJK I see being a shorter series, Promised Neverland was short but got a terrible anime adaptation.

I'm for it. I think it's hard to sustain a great weekly series for a long time as we see with the quality ups and downs of Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, etc. These short series can let the mangaka get tight and focused with the writing and not worry about out how extend the series forever. The weakness of it is like you said, there's not a lot of side exploration, deep character exploration, and overall these series are pretty simple and the worlds are pretty limited. You maximize the main plot and story and limit the extra stuff.

If they go this direction though, they need to make sure the mangaka are getting bigger cuts from the anime and movies and things. I remember the Gintama creator saying he doesn't care if people saw the movie cause it doesn't make him extra money.

I think shorter series is going to be the new move for Jump. Shorter series to deal with shorter attention spans b/c all these series are very fast paced, find hits, get very strong anime adaptations, cash in when people go buy the volumes in bulk. MHA is gonna come to a close soon probably, JJK I see being a shorter series, Promised Neverland was short but got a terrible anime adaptation.

I'm for it. I think it's hard to sustain a great weekly series for a long time as we see with the quality ups and downs of Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, etc. These short series can let the mangaka get tight and focused with the writing and not worry about out how extend the series forever. The weakness of it is like you said, there's not a lot of side exploration, deep character exploration, and overall these series are pretty simple and the worlds are pretty limited. You maximize the main plot and story and limit the extra stuff.

If they go this direction though, they need to make sure the mangaka are getting bigger cuts from the anime and movies and things. I remember the Gintama creator saying he doesn't care if people saw the movie cause it doesn't make him extra money.
it's also a perfect reason to make side story mangas too. kinda like what MHA does. Demon Slayer can make a story about original Sun Harisha (even though he's probably incredibly boring) or if they wanna make it fun just do the exploits of all the Harisha we know.

Screenshot_20210601-212413_TikTok.jpg

Pitou got the fade ran on her by Gon so I’m going Phantom Troupe. But you right red homie taking bodies with him

Phantom Troupe got that in the bag. Kurapika's win was some fluke ****.

I'm still waiting for the leader to come back and wreck ****.

As for Jump and the state of mangakas, I'm not necessarily sure shorter manga runs will be the new wave. I really feel like some creators we've seen recently just don't have it in them for a long run (lets say 500 chapters) but I feel given a lot of them grew up when it was Oda, Kubo, and Kishi some will still aim for that type of success.

Nobody is going to be Oda, but gaining DBZ/One Piece type notoriety is the goal.

I think another thing is some will get a hit manga but even they know it isn't THAT great/good so instead of expanding it to encompass what they think will make it better and risk forcing it they play it a bit safer and stick with the ending they had in mind.

With as much money as Kishi and Oda (continues to) make I don't think creators will stop aiming for that. Plus I don't see Jump rewarding creators for shorter runs and after the past decade I feel they'll only be more eager encourage longer runs. I mean they still have a pretty ruthless cancellation guideline.

As for Jump and the state of mangakas, I'm not necessarily sure shorter manga runs will be the new wave. I really feel like some creators we've seen recently just don't have it in them for a long run (lets say 500 chapters) but I feel given a lot of them grew up when it was Oda, Kubo, and Kishi some will still aim for that type of success.

Nobody is going to be Oda, but gaining DBZ/One Piece type notoriety is the goal.

I think another thing is some will get a hit manga but even they know it isn't THAT great/good so instead of expanding it to encompass what they think will make it better and risk forcing it they play it a bit safer and stick with the ending they had in mind.

With as much money as Kishi and Oda (continues to) make I don't think creators will stop aiming for that. Plus I don't see Jump rewarding creators for shorter runs and after the past decade I feel they'll only be more eager encourage longer runs. I mean they still have a pretty ruthless cancellation guideline.

Oh yeah they would KILL for another anchor series with longevity and will search for that. I think until they find that they'll run with these shorter series of a couple hundred chapters and it will appeal to the younger audiences. It will also keep things going strong while they search for the next big anchor series. I think this just gives them more opportunities for that. Have some series that are popular but that only run for 3-5 years, clean up on volume sales, and don't make it look like they're cancelling things super early in search of a big hit.

Honestly, there's not that many creators who can or want to handle a flagship series that runs 10+ years. I think this fast paced style is working well for them especially as Jump continues to be more global. People can jump into series at the end and catch up or when the anime or movie drops and it not feel daunting. The weekly readership is for super fans and series with a lot of hype. That's one of the problems they've had with OP and the younger audience. OP works in cycles where people also wait for volumes or inflection points to catch up rather than follow weekly I hear. Obviously being an iconic series it has a huge weekly following, but for a lot of the audience it's consumed it bulk or when they hype of an arc reaches its peak and it becomes a conversation topic.

I think originally the bets were placed on Hirokoshi with MHA and that's worked out, but he's had a ton of trouble sustaining it even though that series has massive potential in terms of characters and world. Even the current anime season has no hype around it.

But like tdogg2k tdogg2k said, Jump can milk these short series if they want with merch, movies, OVAs or spin-offs and that's probably cheaper for them cause they just give the creators a one-time payment rather than royalties.

I never continued reading or started watching but this is some truly wild bizarre out there choice for a JoJo ending given how flamboyant the dudes are

🔥 tho

:rofl: @ whoever chose it.

Trust me, that song is a build up for one of the funniest scenes in part 5. It is well worth the wait. :lol:
As for the music choice, I think Araki (the author of the series) chooses the songs himself based on what he was listening to at the time he was writing the part. It's real neat.

Finally finished Berserk manga.

Binged the whole thing in like a week.

Hopefully the assistant finishes it and honors what Miura wanted as the ending.

Regardless RIP. Such a great story.

Speaking of pirates and One Piece, new chapter :lol: ...

I really don't see how Kin can live through that wound. That has to be fatal.
And luffy being rescued by law's sub was a little on the predictable side, but still cool nonetheless. Luffy communicating through the voice of all things was pretty cool.
Can't wait to see what powers Yamato really has up his/her sleeve. This is gonna be a good next few chapters.

Speaking of pirates and One Piece, new chapter :lol: ...

I really don't see how Kin can live through that wound. That has to be fatal.
And luffy being rescued by law's sub was a little on the predictable side, but still cool nonetheless. Luffy communicating through the voice of all things was pretty cool.
Can't wait to see what powers Yamato really has up his/her sleeve. This is gonna be a good next few chapters.

very good chapter. Im sure with kin you're right but may be some last words

Meruem took care of Netero, like he was nothing. there's no way Gon would stand a chance. or anyone for that matter.
Phantom troupe got a lot of tricks up their sleeve, but it seems like it takes time for any of them to get them off.
Royal guard ready at all times. it'd be tough

Meruem took care of Netero, like he was nothing. there's no way Gon would stand a chance. or anyone for that matter.
Phantom troupe got a lot of tricks up their sleeve, but it seems like it takes time for any of them to get them off.
Royal guard ready at all times. it'd be tough
We were told by Pitou adult Gon woulda bodied Meruem. And for all intents and purposes, "Netero" "killed" Meruem.

Back
Top Bottom