The NBA Draft Thread

Exactly, its all about standing reach not height, that's why both jabari parker and Wiggins have the length to play the 4. Both have 8'11 standing reach

This thread is so dead with out Insider info articles :lol:

I'll go ahead and say it now, I was completely wrong about Devin Booker dude is the biz :pimp:

I agree that the bust potential is definitely high with him, but he does seem to have a nice soft touch and can hit that elbow jumper off the pick and roll. Until he gets stronger, that is really all he will be able to do at the next level, playing PF. Seems like Rabb is his direct competition, unless one of these late lotto teams prefers to go with one of the bigger body guys like Damian Jones or Diamond Stone....

Look up the play-by-play on ESPN for that game. Skal did literally nothing from 10:00-0:00 of both halves.

If it weren't for Gbinije's age, he'd be a first rounder. True or False?

I'm not sold on Skal at all. His body of work this year isn't conducive to that of a lottery pick or a first round pick. He badly needs another year of college ball.

Last edited:
I personally don't think I would take Skal inside of the top 20. Several bigs that I'd rather have instead of him...

Is Skal just John Henson with a J?
Henson is/was much better than Skal.

Per 40 Mins:

Season,School,Conf,G,MP,FG,FGA,FG%,2P,2PA,2P%,FT,FTA,FT%,TRB,AST,STL,BLK, PTS
2009-10,UNC,ACC ,37,586,6.0,12.4,.486,5.7,11.1,.515,2.2,5.0,.438,11.2,2.3,1.8,4.0,14.5

Season,School,Conf, G,MP,FG,FGA,FG%,2P,2PA,2P%,,FT,FTA,FT%,TRB,AST,S,BLK,PTS
2015-16,Kentucky,SEC,31,499,6.8,13.2,.515,6.8,13.1,.521,3.2,4.8,.667,7.9,0.7,0.6,4.1,16.8

IMO pretty comparable

And their body types are very similar

Last edited:
Posting stats is just lazy and doesn't tell the entire story. There are periods in the game in many games this year where he looked like he didn't belong out there.

Posting stats is just lazy and doesn't tell the entire story. There are periods in the game in many games this year where he looked like he didn't belong out there.
I think that applies for pretty much the whole season. Only game in which I can remember him having an actual impact was the last game of the season against LSU. This Kentucky team is pretty much void of quality bigs, and he couldn't even get actual playing time for the majority of the year...

Skal is behind the development curve, which is alarming considering he'll turn 20 in 10 days.

But his pedigree might be too difficult to pass up. Especially in a ****** draft.

Last edited:
Skal is behind the development curve, which is alarming considering he'll turn 20 in 10 days.

But his pedigree might be too difficult to pass up.

Exactly. He's hinting at something right now after a ghastly few months to start the season. I just don't know if it's false hope yet or something he'll eventually be able to turn into a full skillset when he reaches age 25. Right now I'd probably burn a first-round pick on him anywhere after 17-18. That's without seeing him in the tournament and conference tournament against higher-profile and better quality bigs in consecutive games, which we'll see him up against very soon here. That'll tip my opinion either way re: trending up/down from 17-18.

My guess is he might be a decent player at some point in his NBA career but never the player people were hyping to start. But we'll see.

Last edited:
I think that applies for pretty much the whole season. Only game in which I can remember him having an actual impact was the last game of the season against LSU. This Kentucky team is pretty much void of quality bigs, and he couldn't even get actual playing time for the majority of the year...
I wanted to say that, but it may have been too harsh. How bad is he where he couldn't sniff real playing time on a team devoid of real big men?

Skal's work before college got and kept his name in the lottery conversation. He's not a first round pick. I understand his family situation is dire, but when you've been poor that long is another year of development too much to ask? Look at what happened with Cliff Alexander. He was someone who needed more tutelage at the college level, but money grubbing relatives all but ruined what NBA potential he had.

Last edited:
To be fair Skal is making a huge jump in competition, still got a lot of talent. get him in an NBA training program and you could unlock that potential

Exactly. He's hinting at something right now after a ghastly few months to start the season. I just don't know if it's false hope yet or something he'll eventually be able to turn into a full skillset when he reaches age 25. Right now I'd probably burn a first-round pick on him anywhere after 17-18. That's without seeing him in the tournament and conference tournament against higher-profile and better quality bigs in consecutive games, which we'll see him up against very soon here. That'll tip my opinion either way re: trending up/down from 17-18.

My guess is he might be a decent player at some point in his NBA career but never the player people were hyping to start. But we'll see.
This is pretty much how I feel. Obviously he'll develop once he's with NBA trainers like OKB said, but I really don't think he'll be able to contribute at the next level during his first contract. And that's a bit worrisome TO ME, especially if I take him in the lottery.

Last edited:
I wanted to say that, but it may have been too harsh. How bad is he where he couldn't sniff real playing time on a team devoid of real big men?

Skal's work before college got and kept his name in the lottery conversation. He's not a first round pick. I understand his family situation is dire, but when you've been poor that long is another year of development too much to ask? Look at what happened with Cliff Alexander. He was someone who needed more tutelage at the college level, but money grubbing relatives all but ruined what NBA potential he had.

youre crazy, have you seen this draft? :lol:

hes a first round pick and maybe late lotterey.

also there is zero "tutelage" going on at the college level. NCAA basketball might as well be a completely different sport and staying college doesn't do anything other than make you a year older.

If you think after the way Skall dominated the hoop summit, if he goes to the combine, and measure 7 foot + with a 9+ standing reach, and gets in a workout and just starts draining jumpersyou think he WONT go in the first round?

cmon son. :lol:

Last edited:
Saying he wouldn't go in the first round whatsoever is reckless :lol:

Several teams in the 20-30 range will be making their 2nd or 3rd pick there and would gladly take a flier on him on top of teams like San Antonio and GSW...

don't forget, 2 years ago Kristaps porzingis was a soft, terrible rebounding, overgrown small forward.

skal is more of a project but hte point remains; kristaps is a text book example why teams will continue to bet on tools, and physical potential. because if you hit once, you hit big.

Where would you take him OKB and who would you pick him over in particular (bigs only)?

He was getting bullied by college sized big men, most notably against Louisville. He fares a better chance against grown *** men in the NBA?

I think Cal develops players as well as any coach would be able to in the type of recruiting environment/one-and-done 35-40 games he's given. I think he did really well in knowing what would make Brandon Knight tick, turned Towns into a low post player or at least dedicated him to it, didn't turn him into anything necessarily since the skillset was so advanced he just needed better utilization.

It's not like Skal shouldn't have been able to outplay this current stable of Kentucky big men. There was a place for him to flourish coming into this situation, and reality is it's taken him a bit to reach a level of even competence. But we'll see where he goes from here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom