The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Valentina and a few FWs should be forced to move up to women’s BW. That division needs help. Worse division followed by LHW.

Besides Pena, who else is there for Pennington to fight?

Just feel like there's zero storyline there from the matchmaking perspective. It's not a fight that anyone is calling for or even suggested in passing

I think it's an unnecessary weight cut and extra name thrown into 185 when it already has plenty of contenders

I get that 205 doesn't have as many names or options. But it seems like a waste of resources to put Alex back at 185

No one at 135 for the Lionness to fight. I don’t care to see her starch Pennington again. I guess the Trilogy with Pena is there.

Just stay home and be a family woman.

Just force Valentina to move up. See what happens to Manon/Erin. Maybe ask one of them to ask.

There just hasn’t been an infusion of talent at 135 unlike 115 and 125.

Talk to Shannon Knapp. Nudge her to recruit 135. Should be able to get that division back on track.

Few observations from Izzy's video

Izzy and probably a lot of the MMA community still says "oh it was smart to get the takedown at the end of the round to seal the round". That doesn't make sense, right? lol, if they don't do damage with the takedown then the takedown doesn't count for anything on the score cards... right?

I'm still crying at the visuals of non white South Africans going crazy celebrating DDP's win lol. Izzy even had apparent South Africans watching with him who were rooting for DDP :rofl:I mean I get it but it's still hilarious

All DDP had to do was not take the stupidest angle possible with Izzy and he might actually be even more well liked than he is. Everything else about him seems pretty respectable and cool.

I gave zero dambs about him going at Strickland the way he did

At the same time, this whole thing makes their buildup even better at least to a degenerate like me. I need to see Izzy shut his lights out

Alex going back down to 185 ain’t happening, the cut was already terrible before and it’ll only be worse now that he’s had a decent amount of time and two fights up at 205. Might end up with a Dillashaw Cejudo type situation

Also seeing the punch stats for last night has me even more underwhelmed with DDP. He snuck out a controversial decision against Strickland partially because of some ineffective ground control, and also the major damage that may have swayed the judges’ decisions and affected Strickland’s eye came from a headbutt. Obviously he ran through Whittaker so clearly he’s not a fraud, but that fight didn’t answer the questions I thought it would. I swear I’m still trying to figure out how this guy Dricus keeps managing to get these wins. Definitely a strong argument that he shouldn’t have got the W last night.
ADVERTISEMENT​
But regardless, Izzy vs Dricus should be hype and Izzy is definitely getting a little advantage being able to fully train and gameplan while Dricus was prepping for/is recovering from 297, I’m sure he was in the loop with the 300 plans before the public found out. After a solid layoff to rest and recover too. If he can’t get the job done with this setup then he just can’t get it done. Should be interesting. If Izzy wins then a Poatan Izzy finale at 205 for double champ status would be crazy. Strickland rematch and Khamzat still available too. Middleweight division is def looking pretty interesting for the moment.

Also I guess I’m in the minority but I think Islam vs Leon could be an interesting fight. Leon has managed to deal with Usman and Colby, I wouldn’t go in assuming Islam can control him, he couldn’t even control Volk. I’d be more interested to see what he could do against a striker like Leon if the takedown isn’t available. Could be fun. But Islam and Leon both still have business to handle in their divisions so that’s more of a later fight. If Leon handles Belal and Shavkat (tall task) and Islam handle Charles and Arman that could be a great fight. Shavkat Islam could be dope too though.

P.S. No joke, on everything I love I literally had to google the welterweight rankings because for the life of me I swear I could not remember Belal’s name. The irony.

Alex going back down to 185 ain’t happening, the cut was already terrible before and it’ll only be worse now that he’s had a decent amount of time and two fights up at 205. Might end up with a Dillashaw Cejudo type situation

Also seeing the punch stats for last night has me even more underwhelmed with DDP. He snuck out a controversial decision against Strickland partially because of some ineffective ground control, and also the major damage that may have swayed the judges’ decisions and affected Strickland’s eye came from a headbutt. Obviously he ran through Whittaker so clearly he’s not a fraud, but that fight didn’t answer the questions I thought it would. I swear I’m still trying to figure out how this guy Dricus keeps managing to get these wins. Definitely a strong argument that he shouldn’t have got the W last night.
ADVERTISEMENT​
But regardless, Izzy vs Dricus should be hype and Izzy is definitely getting a little advantage being able to fully train and gameplan while Dricus was prepping for/is recovering from 297, I’m sure he was in the loop with the 300 plans before the public found out. After a solid layoff to rest and recover too. If he can’t get the job done with this setup then he just can’t get it done. Should be interesting. If Izzy wins then a Poatan Izzy finale at 205 for double champ status would be crazy. Strickland rematch and Khamzat still available too. Middleweight division is def looking pretty interesting for the moment.

Also I guess I’m in the minority but I think Islam vs Leon could be an interesting fight. Leon has managed to deal with Usman and Colby, I wouldn’t go in assuming Islam can control him, he couldn’t even control Volk. I’d be more interested to see what he could do against a striker like Leon if the takedown isn’t available. Could be fun. But Islam and Leon both still have business to handle in their divisions so that’s more of a later fight. If Leon handles Belal and Shavkat (tall task) and Islam handle Charles and Arman that could be a great fight. Shavkat Islam could be dope too though.

P.S. No joke, on everything I love I literally had to google the welterweight rankings because for the life of me I swear I could not remember Belal’s name. The irony.
I’m not positive that Adesanya has the defensive wrestling to avoid a similar fate as Strickland.

All DDP had to do was not take the stupidest angle possible with Izzy and he might actually be even more well liked than he is. Everything else about him seems pretty respectable and cool.

I can agree with this. I honestly want to dislike the guy more but he actually has been fairly chill outside the African champion ****. But yeah I still need to see him get rocked for that one.
I'm still crying at the visuals of non white South Africans going crazy celebrating DDP's win lol. Izzy even had apparent South Africans watching with him who were rooting for DDP :rofl:I mean I get it but it's still hilarious

As a South African man, I was so blown I had to laugh. But I was definitely giving them the most serious :stoneface: when I first saw it. I need to see if I can contact them and discuss proper behavior for future ufc events. We’ll see though.

I hope someone with the KO power greater than a West African like Joe Pyfer shuts all these clowns up.

Plz don’t bring up this African nonsense in a DDP/Izzy build up. Just keep it as a simple grudge match.

ADVERTISEMENT​

I dig this. I was trying to find the headbutt. I couldn't find it but it's fine. It was a razor close decision if anyone thinks Strickland won I wouldn't argue it

Round by round scoring seemed close even in the so called obvious rounds imo

And I would love to see Islam go up to 170 and challenge Leon. I have little interest in seeing Islam fight any of those 155er's outside of rematching Arman and BSD
Eh, felt like Strickland won the fight. Judges need their eyes checked.
A lot of people thought Strickland won. But if you do round by round scoring as is the criteria you can't say the judges are blind bruv

Objectively so many close rounds
I can agree with this. I honestly want to dislike the guy more but he actually has been fairly chill outside the African champion ****. But yeah I still need to see him get rocked for that one.

As a South African man, I was so blown I had to laugh. But I was definitely giving them the most serious :stoneface: when I first saw it. I need to see if can contact them and discuss the proper behavior for future ufc events. We’ll see though.
Wow, ok so you're the ultimate case study in here when it comes to DDP :lol: By all accounts dude seems to be genuinely decent human being. I was heated as hell when he came at Izzy like that from the jump

It looks like Izzy is happy for him now though but obviously there's a score to settle

I dig this. I was trying to find the headbutt. I couldn't find it but it's fine. It was a razor close decision if anyone thinks Strickland won I wouldn't argue it

And I would love to see Islam go up to 170 and challenge Leon. I have little interest in seeing Islam fight any of those 155er's outside of rematching Arman and BSD

A lot of people thought Strickland won. But if you do round by round scoring as is the criteria you can't say the judges are blind bruv

Wow, ok so you're the ultimate case study in here when it comes to DDP :lol: By all accounts dude seems to be genuinely decent human being. I was heated as hell when he came at Izzy like that from the jump

It looks like Izzy is happy for him now though but obviously there's a score to settle
I don’t know much about present day racial dynamics in South Africa.

How does the average white person like DDP feel about the historical legacy of apartheid?

Is there general unity among white and black in South Africa today?

Or a lingering sense of discord and/or resentment from both sides?

These are things I don’t know the answer to.

He won rounds 1,3 and 5

I don’t know much about present day racial dynamics in South Africa.

How does the average white person like DDP feel about the historical legacy of apartheid?

Is there general unity among white and black in South Africa today?

Or a lingering sense of discord and/or resentment from both sides?

These are things I don’t know the answer to.
This is why I thought it was dope blackcease blackcease let us know that... maybe he can shed some light

I don’t post Reddit stuff anymore since this site is finicky. But there’s a clip of South Africans in a bar (or somewhere) and it’s an intermingle of black and white South Africans (probably a good majority white) so I’m sure from a nationalist perspective they’re happy DDP won.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ufc/s/ko6FVaIPbj

Were his comments problematic, yes? I understood why Izzy or Usman felt a way about him.

I don’t post Reddit stuff anymore since this site is finicky. But there’s a clip of South Africans in a bar (or somewhere) and it’s an intermingle of black and white South Africans (probably a good majority white) so I’m sure from a nationalist perspective they’re happy DDP won.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ufc/s/ko6FVaIPbj

Were his comments problematic, yes? I understood why Izzy or Usman felt a way about him.
Yup I believe that is the same place the UFC broadcast kept flashing on the screen, I recognize homie in the black cap

It had me legit in tears watching everyone go crazy cheering thinking about everything

I wouldn't argue with that score at all. I am just saying is round 3 really that obvious of a Strickland round where it means a robbery? I gotta rewatch that round now
Felt like the judges gave DDP the 3rd cause he appeared to be "working harder" with those ineffective kicks, and awkward overhands, so to them, it appeared as if he was working him. Strickland needs that stopping power to help him seal the deal in fights like this.
ADVERTISEMENT​

Back
Top Bottom