THE JOHN STOCKTON APPRECIATION POST!!!!!!!!!!

Hated this guy when i was younger because this guy was just too good. He is Def. Appreciated though. One of the best point gaurds ever.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Wade187 wrote:

Wade187 wrote:

Wade187 wrote:
TCERDA wrote:
TheYoungestGun wrote:
in terms of shot selection yes. tony parker is probably the only pg that goes inside that much, and the others you mention are all 3pnt shooters... and it looks like there the 3pt fg and normal fg's are combined. iverson shoots 42% over his career, kobe under 50% as well.. do considering he did it for 19 seasons says more than enough

I quit and you win..

You're actually right though. He wasn't really a great shooter. He just picked his shots I don't think dude ever even passed 1,000 attempts and he played almost every game almost every season.

What you talking about 1,000 shots?
laugh.gif
Pont guards arent supposed to consistently shoot 1000 shots a year.Try again... Dude was a great shooter.

I know they arent. But lets say for example a guy like Magic he passed 1000 4 times in 12 seasons. Stockton played 19 and hasn't passed 1000 not even once. Jason Kidd passed it 4 times. Steve Nash 3 times. So yeah like I said

What are you talking about?
laugh.gif
Jason Kidd and his 40 career pct.
laugh.gif
I dont care if he ever shot 1000 times in a season. He's a point guard he aint Kobe Bryant.
laugh.gif
His career avg is 13 PPG, Kidd and Nash's are 14 PPG and they'll never touch him in terms of assists.
Ok but all that has nothing to do with your initial argument. The @!%! does them never touching him in assists have to do with him being a great shooter? My point wasn't that they are great shooters my point is that he picked his shots more then most point guards. Meaning he took more open shots and sometimes still passed even when he has the chance to score. I'm not saying hes a bad shooter but I'm saying his high basketball IQ and unselfishness got him that percentage.

Hmm...Picking good shots...what a novel concept
laugh.gif

Yeah but like what was said in the first place dude wasn't a great shooter. That is all

Originally Posted by Wade187

Wade187 wrote:

Wade187 wrote:

Wade187 wrote:
TCERDA wrote:
TheYoungestGun wrote:
in terms of shot selection yes. tony parker is probably the only pg that goes inside that much, and the others you mention are all 3pnt shooters... and it looks like there the 3pt fg and normal fg's are combined. iverson shoots 42% over his career, kobe under 50% as well.. do considering he did it for 19 seasons says more than enough

I quit and you win..

You're actually right though. He wasn't really a great shooter. He just picked his shots I don't think dude ever even passed 1,000 attempts and he played almost every game almost every season.

laugh.gif
Pont guards arent supposed to consistently shoot 1000 shots a year.Try again... Dude was a great shooter.

I know they arent. But lets say for example a guy like Magic he passed 1000 4 times in 12 seasons. Stockton played 19 and hasn't passed 1000 not even once. Jason Kidd passed it 4 times. Steve Nash 3 times. So yeah like I said

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I dont care if he ever shot 1000 times in a season. He's a point guard he aint Kobe Bryant.
laugh.gif
His career avg is 13 PPG, Kidd and Nash's are 14 PPG and they'll never touch him in terms of assists.
Ok but all that has nothing to do with your initial argument. The @!%! does them never touching him in assists have to do with him being a great shooter? My point wasn't that they are great shooters my point is that he picked his shots more then most point guards. Meaning he took more open shots and sometimes still passed even when he has the chance to score. I'm not saying hes a bad shooter but I'm saying his high basketball IQ and unselfishness got him that percentage.

laugh.gif

Yeah but like what was said in the first place dude wasn't a great shooter. That is all

You have no idea what you are talking about?! His fg pct is 2nd to Magic all time for backcourt guys. Thats a great shooter...The numbers dont lie... but youdo.

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Originally Posted by eplaya06

^you fail to realize that most of Tony's points come in the paint. Thats why his FG% is so high.

And you fail to realize that a high FG % does not mean you are great shooter. Thats the point Im trying to make. Stockton got in the paint more than you think. The no help on the Pick and Roll.
eyes.gif
Also, Hornacek was a far more superior shooter than Stockton and his FG% was .496%. (Less than Stockton).

can't disagree with that

did i mention how much i hated him and his facial expression??? anyway, i'm back to say... that he played PG the correct way. While Magic and Isaiah arethe better overall players.... Stockton is the better pure PG

Stockton is very much appreciated, but only on NT will you hear someone say he is the best point of all time. That's ABSURD, even peoplein Utah know that's not true.

Originally Posted by LJYScu

Hated him back then against the bulls....but can't deny his heart and talent.

Hated him with passion.
laugh.gif

Still, one of the all-time greats.

Wade187 wrote:

Wade187 wrote:

Wade187 wrote:

Wade187 wrote:
TCERDA wrote:
TheYoungestGun wrote:

I quit and you win..

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You have no idea what you are talking about?! His fg pct is 2nd to Magic all time for backcourt guys. Thats a great shooter...The numbers dont lie... but you do.
I lie? Please point out one thing I said that was a lie....I'll wait. All you've said is he is a great shooter, you haven't even triedto provide anything to back that. Numbers dont lie? If I shoot 10 shots and make them all in and Ray Allen shoots 30 and misses 4 does that make me a bettershooter?

Greezee wrote:
Stockton is very much appreciated, but only on NT will you hear someone say he is the best point of all time. That's ABSURD, even people in Utah know that's not true.
No it's not. I hear this argument all the time from all over. He is the best point guard ever, but he is not the best player to play the pointposition. When it comes to playing that position he did it best in term of what point guards are suppose to do.

y'all forgetting that he never dunked.. or at least barely.. so that's why it's even more impressive that he had 50% fieldgoal avg.

best pg ever.. no question about it... no the best overall player at that position, but most def. best point guard.. he'll take on any player... at thepoint

^when you make that statement you have to make sure the PURE part of it is in highlights, in quotations, with arrows next to it, cuz overall hes not touchingmagic

Yeah I don't know how you quantify the fact that he played 95% of his career in an era where hand-checking was fair game clothes-lining a guy was just 2free throws.

Greatness.

smh.gif

i can't see j-stock throwing himself into the announce tables like that.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

^ Nah its still Magic...
Like I said he ran the point the best. Best pure point guard whatever you wanna call it. In terms of what your looking for in a point he's thebest.

Originally Posted by PrinSe3

^when you make that statement you have to make sure the PURE part of it is in highlights, in quotations, with arrows next to it, cuz overall hes not touching magic
No he doesn't. Cause he isn't talking overall. He is talking about running the point. He clearly says not the best overall player to playthe position.

Back
Top Bottom