The Droid Fires Shots At Apple

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

So the first "Droid" is the Motorola version, correct?

That's all i'm confused on.
There will only be one "Droid" and that the Motorola Droid that you see on this page. However, there will be a lineup of Droid phones. For example, on Nov. 6th along w/ the Moto Droid, there will also be the HTC Droid Eris. I'm pretty sure all Android phones on the Verizon network are nowgonna have the "droid" prefix.

The price on the Moto Droid will be $200 after a $100 Mail in rebate if bought in the store w/ 2-year contract.

iphone will always be the best. EVEN THO I HAVE A G1. that @#$% is hyped. but i love my g1. free apps =) also got that qwery keyboard its smooth.

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

There will only be one "Droid" and that the Motorola Droid that you see on this page. However, there will be a lineup of Droid phones. For example, on Nov. 6th along w/ the Moto Droid, there will also be the HTC Droid Eris. I'm pretty sure all Android phones on the Verizon network are now gonna have the "droid" prefix.

The price on the Moto Droid will be $200 after a $100 Mail in rebate if bought in the store w/ 2-year contract.

Yea Verizon has the whole Droid thing going on.

EDIT: I forgot to add that another niche that the Droid can hang its hat on is that of a extremely powerful and (technically) free GPS device. Garmin and Tom Tom took huge hits today in the stock market because of this new Google Turn-by-turn direction program. Unlike Garmin and Tom Tom where you have to pay monthly charges to get updated GPS, the Droid provides real-live (seemingly excellent) GPS free of charge.

Thats nice but it just doesnt grab me as that thing to dethrone the iphone/bb.
ohwell.gif

They need something extra exclusive to them and only them...and not a flash player either
grin.gif

*After rewatching their commercial they do have some intersting pitch points:
-Running simultaneous apps.
-Interchangable Batteries
-Taking pics in the dark

But all those things arent huge deal breakers..Yea it can run simultaneous apps, but will their apps system be > apple? (remains to be seen)..interchangablebatteries..ehh...would like a flash on the ip though for taking better pics..but overall im not sold.

The first phone to utilize the Android OS
was the T-Mobile G1 that came out last Oct.

Originally Posted by seventh letter

BBM > __________

A lot of girls get BB's just for the BBM.
laugh.gif
psssh yet when girls or anybody for that matter gets a sidekick for aim its considered "immature"
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

EDIT: I forgot to add that another niche that the Droid can hang its hat on is that of a extremely powerful and (technically) free GPS device. Garmin and Tom Tom took huge hits today in the stock market because of this new Google Turn-by-turn direction program. Unlike Garmin and Tom Tom where you have to pay monthly charges to get updated GPS, the Droid provides real-live (seemingly excellent) GPS free of charge.

Thats nice but it just doesnt grab me as that thing to dethrone the iphone/bb.
ohwell.gif

They need something extra exclusive to them and only them...and not a flash player either
grin.gif

*After rewatching their commercial they do have some intersting pitch points:
-Running simultaneous apps.
-Interchangable Batteries
-Taking pics in the dark

But all those things arent huge deal breakers..Yea it can run simultaneous apps, but will their apps system be > apple? (remains to be seen)..interchangable batteries..ehh...would like a flash on the ip though for taking better pics..but overall im not sold.
It's not meant to dethrone anything. It's meant to compete. Which it will. Different strokes for different folks.

Perhaps for you this phone does nothing. However, let's say you have a job where you are always on the road. The free GPS will be a huge dealbreaker. Orif your entire company is wired through Google products (eg. Gmail, Gchat, etc) like my company is, or if you really enjoy google products, this phone willappeal to you. Plus, if all those things you mentioned or the better camera, open source, physical keyboard, stronger network and all the other things theIPhone doesn't have really DO appeal to you, then you will buy the Droid. For you, obviously it doesn't.

However, you apparently have an IPhone and are therefore not on Verizon; hence, you can't get the Droid unless you switched carriers which is another bighassle. I, on the other hand, have Verizon and don't want to switch to ATT. That is a huge reason why this phone appeals to me.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

BBM > __________

laugh.gif
psssh yet when girls or anybody for that matter gets a sidekick for aim its considered "immature"
grin.gif

Again, exclusivity. Its considered immature because high school kids use sidekicks. Its been that way since sidekicks came out. Teenagers and adults generallylook down upon one another so they rebel against each other in every way shape and form. From clothes worn to electronics used and music listened to. Ive neverseen an "adult" woman 18+ with a sidekick. Ever.

It's not meant to dethrone anything. It's meant to compete. Which it will. Different strokes for different folks.

Perhaps for you this phone does nothing. However, let's say you have a job where you are always on the road. The free GPS will be a huge dealbreaker. Or if your entire company is wired through Google products (eg. Gmail, Gchat, etc) like my company is, or if you really enjoy google products, this phone will appeal to you. Plus, if all those things you mentioned or the better camera, open source, physical keyboard, stronger network and all the other things the IPhone doesn't have really DO appeal to you, then you will buy the Droid. For you, obviously it doesn't.

However, you apparently have an IPhone and are therefore not on Verizon; hence, you can't get the Droid unless you switched carriers which is another big hassle. I, on the other hand, have Verizon and don't want to switch to ATT. That is a huge reason why this phone appeals to me.

Good point. I had an iphone. I just switched back to BB. Iphone felt too fragile for me to use at work and all of my friends use BBM to communicate. IfI had a diff job I'd def still be using the IP though. I had Verizon years back and they without a doubt have the best service in the country but I wasgetting too many random charges and I didnt like that at all. Moved to Tmo and I thought their service sucked for the most part. I'm happy with ATT now.

This is a consumer based society. Everyone wants the coolest or latest product. That is what keeps this country going. The iphone is a great phone and so isthe bb and android devices. To each their own. If it wasnt for the app worlds in the iphone and droid phones then we would be stuck in the year 2000. And tothe comment about phone copying off the iphone.......read a book. Thats like saying all of these car companies are fake compaired to the first car company evermade. Thats how business works. Someone creates something then the next person takes that idea and modifies it and add thier name to it. Touch screen phoneshave been around for years. Apple just did it smarter than companies in the past. Now that these droid devices are launching and being called the iphonekiller, Appleheads want to get all touchy and sensitive.

i swear i heard outlook in one of them youtube vids, or corporate email. something like that

BBM > __________

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Give it up the SideKick will lose every time. Haha

The Google Voice feature on this phone alone is
eek.gif

Just watch the videos they have when they use the GPS, plus its part of the Droid unlike iPhone's $100 TomTom App or whatever.

I pre ordered mine at best buy. There doing instant $100 rebate on the phone and guarantees you get it right away.

As a former verizon wireless employee this is the way to go. VZW will sell out on day 1. It will be a pain in the +$! for the next few weeks to try and getone. Then you have to wait on the rebate.

Originally Posted by Rudemiester

BBM > __________

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Ive never seen an "adult" woman 18+ with a sidekick. Ever.
in NYC its as common as nike boots and yankee fitteds.

thats cuz AIM is that serious out here.

Originally Posted by RedMan

BBM > __________

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Give it up the SideKick will lose every time. Haha to da hypebeast & da snobs that use other phone to just browse facebook/space/twitter yet try to play out da sidekick.
sidekick 09 goes toe to toe with blackberries and win if u talkin specs

da issue is PURELY form factor and perception.

Originally Posted by RedMan

BBM > __________

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Give it up the SideKick will lose every time. Haha to da hypebeast & da snobs that use other phone to just browse facebook/space/twitter yet try to play out da sidekick.
sidekick 09 goes toe to toe with blackberries and win if u talkin specs

da issue is PURELY form factor and perception
...and don't forget those broke %$# danger/microsoft servers ya'll got word to that 48 hour outage
grin.gif

Originally Posted by DJisMe3

laugh.gif
at these people that take the iphone's concept and tweak it around some and make some minor improvments and then fire shots or dub themselves the "iphone killer"

ther is no great concept on the iphone the only innovative ideas that apple gets credit for is the app store n itunes which are amazingly user friendly n welldesigned but touch screen wus here bfor the iphone n it doesn't offer much else in terms of phone capability

Back
Top Bottom