The Combat Jack Show Thread

You black?

yes, born here but parents are from nigeria

Did you just tell me that us probably had black friends bro?

not specifically, but essentially…in my experience growing up around/with folks of different ethnic backgrounds by a kinda ‘osmosis’ you get & learn a bit of insight that can be jokes & we all would have those jokes on deck in certain situations…

the interesting thing, to me anyways, about what the pivot guys had to say was that for all intents and purposes they basically co-signed the same stereotype(s) that were the essence of the joke, they just put an explanation & positive spin to it 😂🤷🏿‍♂️

Why do some people, when you tell them something is offensive, try to argue with you about how offended you should or shouldn't be? It's subjective at the end of the day.

you’re right, it’s all down to individual interpretation/opinion…🤔 even tho i am curious why such a comment would be seen out of bounds, i’m not necessarily arguing/discussing being offended or the level of such, more so the apparent context; i.e. a comedian making a stereotypical joke in response being discussed in hushed serious tones…but then in the same breathe quite literally kinda reinforce the very same stereotype(s) that were said to be offensive?

you’re right, it’s all down to individual interpretation/opinion…🤔 even tho i am curious why such a comment would be seen out of bounds, i’m not necessarily arguing/discussing being offended or the level of such, more so the apparent context; i.e. a comedian making a stereotypical joke in response being discussed in hushed serious tones…but then in the same breathe quite literally kinda reinforce the very same stereotype(s) that were said to be offensive?

I'm not sure how you concluded the men in the video posted were reinforcing the stereotypes that were being joked about. You don't understand why the joke was out of bounds in the first place which colors your perception of the response. Hence the subjectivity. What I hear in your posts is that you don't think it was offensive or don't understand why it was offensive so the response is an overreaction or unwarranted. You don't see it as "nefarious intent/based on ignorance/being too comfortable", so therefore these gentlemen shouldn't either or that they are somehow wrong for the pushback.

I'm not sure how you concluded the men in the video posted were reinforcing the stereotypes that were being joked about. You don't understand why the joke was out of bounds in the first place which colors your perception of the response. Hence the subjectivity. What I hear in your posts is that you don't think it was offensive or don't understand why it was offensive so the response is an overreaction or unwarranted. You don't see it as "nefarious intent/based on ignorance/being too comfortable", so therefore these gentlemen shouldn't either or that they are somehow wrong for the pushback.

to be more clear it isn’t that i don’t understand why the joke is seen as offensive…its more the sentiment that schulz can’t make the joke & the admonishment of him, especially being that he is comedian & impropriety is his whole thing; seeing as they all said dude is funny to them. definitely have bias in that regard, its kinda funny because the ‘black girlfriend effect’ is something of a joke in & of itself (i believe it was a tik tok thing that has since spawned copycats for other ethnic variants, each with their own jokes) the whole ting is unserious, so it legitimately seems odd to make it serious because bro is a white guy, when the subject actually involves white men

i could be off in my interpretation of the basis of the joke made, the ‘black girlfriend effect’ is black women getting w/white men & switching up the guy’s whole aesthetic…schulz makes the joke that those women bully those men & the response from channing & ryan is to reference that the stigma (whether it is a correct or fair is a tangent) indeed exists & then expound on the toughness of black women (channing even remarks the men that say this must want do-girls, are weak men, etc.) & why they in fact need to be tough to survive, 🤷🏿‍♂️ that to me seems like at the very least a kinda tacit assist to the joke 😂

to be more clear it isn’t that i don’t understand why the joke is seen as offensive…its more the sentiment that schulz can’t make the joke & the admonishment of him, especially being that he is comedian & impropriety is his whole thing; seeing as they all said dude is funny to them. definitely have bias in that regard, its kinda funny because the ‘black girlfriend effect’ is something of a joke in & of itself (i believe it was a tik tok thing that has since spawned copycats for other ethnic variants, each with their own jokes) the whole ting is unserious, so it legitimately seems odd to make it serious because bro is a white guy, when the subject actually involves white men

i could be off in my interpretation of the basis of the joke made, the ‘black girlfriend effect’ is black women getting w/white men & switching up the guy’s whole aesthetic…schulz makes the joke that those women bully those men & the response from channing & ryan is to reference that the stigma (whether it is a correct or fair is a tangent) indeed exists & then expound on the toughness of black women (channing even remarks the men that say this must want do-girls, are weak men, etc.) & why they in fact need to be tough to survive, 🤷🏿‍♂️ that to me seems like at the very least a kinda tacit assist to the joke 😂

I think it IS that you dont understand what was offensive, maybe because you didn't watch the original clip.

To observe or comment on a black girlfriend effect is mildly humorous, that's not really the offensive part. It's Shultz pseudo-psychological breakdown of this effect and it's causes. That white men are intimidated into this behavior by black women. That it's a defense mechanism against argumentative black women. It plays on the angry/hostile black female trope which is a stereotype that has been around long before Shultz or any "black girlfriend effect". Not so different than the angry/hostile black man trope, it's rooted in racism and xenophobia and has had real life implications for many people in all walks of life. Schultz may have a handful of black friends in his life but he doesn't have a black mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, cousin or daughter to give any substance to his portrayal of black women as argumentative or intimidating. So when you get up in public spaces perpetuating harmful stereotypes that anyone with more than a superficial familiarity to black people knows to be false, some will take offense to it.

Back
Top Bottom