The College Basketball Post

Yea its conference play
laugh.gif
. the avy isnt even a bad thing now...its morelike a complement...you now have one of college basketballs best players in your avy.
grin.gif

Iono... but dude mug look odd as hell under my sn
laugh.gif

I still don't know what the hell happened... someone who isn't a duke hater/pitt fan give me a run down of the 2nd half
ohwell.gif

I've been absent from this thread for a minute, but I got to check out some nice players last night, so I thought I'd jump in -- granted this was HSaction.

Was at the Bojangles Shootout in Charlotte all day yesterday. Saw Moeller-Lincoln, Jeanette-Erwin and a few minutes of St. Benedicts-South Atlanta.

Man, talk about a bad attitude: Lance Stephenson. It's all anyone could talk about after the game. Moeller has a mid-major player in the making namedMichael Davenport who is yet unsigned. Someone needs to change that. Jeanette: It's all about Pryor. He's nice on the hardwood, but I guess if all thatfootball talk holds true, it won't matter. And for the record, he insisted he hasn't made a choice about football versus basketball like everyoneassumes.

Benedict's-South ATL was supposed to be the clash of the titans with Favors, Samuels, etc. but foul trouble ruined the fun.

Random side note: Stephen Curry from Davidson was sitting behind me last night. How random.

Originally Posted by OUChrisLitt

I've been absent from this thread for a minute, but I got to check out some nice players last night, so I thought I'd jump in -- granted this was HS action.

Was at the Bojangles Shootout in Charlotte all day yesterday. Saw Moeller-Lincoln, Jeanette-Erwin and a few minutes of St. Benedicts-South Atlanta.

Man, talk about a bad attitude: Lance Stephenson. It's all anyone could talk about after the game. Moeller has a mid-major player in the making named Michael Davenport who is yet unsigned. Someone needs to change that. Jeanette: It's all about Pryor. He's nice on the hardwood, but I guess if all that football talk holds true, it won't matter. And for the record, he insisted he hasn't made a choice about football versus basketball like everyone assumes.

Benedict's-South ATL was supposed to be the clash of the titans with Favors, Samuels, etc. but foul trouble ruined the fun.

Random side note: Stephen Curry from Davidson was sitting behind me last night. How random.

He's always at the games here in Charlotte.....I was gonna go check out the tournament but I decided against it...I would have went If i knew Lincolnwas playing,....

Haiti's Thoughts

Bo Ryan needs to recruit some athletes.

Pitt will win ...lance will have 25

my dude j pargo will kill and expose tennessee's guards

memphis loses..sad i know..but i think they need to get grounded

What a Shot!!! I am verrry surprised Wisconsin was in the game to begin with.. Not only did he hit the shot, he steals the ball and does the smarter version ofCalvin Booth .. Very good heads up play..

i have no idea how they won that game..
eek.gif

okay am i the only one that thinks dj augustin is overrated. im not saying he is trash by any means. but he isnt athletic, not as fast as i thought. he has aknack for gettin to the rim but has a hard time finishing because he is 5'10. i think he was able to do so well with all the defense focused on durant lastyr. but he seems to be having a hard time not having a go to guy.

okay am i the only one that thinks dj augustin is overrated. im not saying he is trash by any means. but he isnt athletic, not as fast as i thought. he has a knack for gettin to the rim but has a hard time finishing because he is 5'10. i think he was able to do so well with all the defense focused on durant last yr. but he seems to be having a hard time not having a go to guy.
I doubt you're the only one, but you'll have a hard time finding many that agree with you.

Augustin is deceptively quick, so i could see why you think he's not fast... you cannot keep him out of the lane, he's just got a certain mike conleyshiftiness to him. Don't let a loss vs wisconsin make you think he's having a "hard time" this year, dude is a gamer and a lotto pick...best point guard in the country right now in my opinion, but there are others that are close to him.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

can anybody post the full article to this insider? thanks in advance.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=3088916

[h1]Mayo has the hype; these guys will have the longevity[/h1]

By Doug Gottlieb
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: November 1, 2007

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/columns/story?columnist=gottlieb_doug&id=3088916#

Brian Spurlock/US Presswire

Blake Griffin, a McDonald's All-American, stayed in state to join his brother on the Oklahoma Sooners.
When O.J. Mayo landed at USC, many pundits declared that Mayo, a consensus All-American in high school, would forever change the perception of USC's basketball program. Mayo -- like Greg Oden, Kevin Durant and many, many others before -- is seen as a "program changer", a player whose skill is so profound and rep so immense that writers want to cover his team and other elite talents want to play with his team.
The truth, though, is that while Oden and the "Thad Five" lived up to the hype by playing for a national title, Ohio State was in a difficult position following Oden's departure, because he and Mike Conley both left long before an era could truly be established. USC will have Mayo for one interesting and possibly amazing season, but at the end of the day, one- or even two-and-done players are not the true program changers they are made out to be.

Lost in the hyperbole of the instant lottery pick is the new program changer in college basketball. The great player who walks into the coach's office as a freshman ready to play and play well, and stays for four incredibly productive years due to his lack of the extra something the "next level" covets.

Tyler Hansbrough is just such a guy. Hansborough turned 20 his freshman year at UNC, making him old for his grade. He probably is only 6-foot-8, making him a bit small to be strictly a low-post player in the pros. His movements are a bit robotic in fluidity. While it might sound like knocks on his game to some, all of it is music to the ears of Roy Williams, since the more they knock him in the NBA boardrooms, the more production he gets in a Tar Heels jersey.

recruiting_g_lucas_195.jpg

Joe Murphy/NBAE via Getty Images

Jai Lucas is a tiny point guard, but his passing will have future recruits wanting to play alongside him.

Hansbrough is the real program changer. He is one of the guys who started from Day One, is an all-conference and maybe even All-American player, makes the program more attractive for prospective recruits, hangs around for three or four years and matures into a great college player while winning 100 or so games for the program. He might not have come to college with the flash and hype of an O.J. Mayo, nor will he be a top-five NBA draft pick, but his value to the program is much more substantial in the long run, and UNC can win a national title with his play.

So, who are the new program changers in college basketball?

Blake Griffin, 6-10, 239 lbs., Oklahoma
A David Lee-type athlete who has it all from a strength and athleticism standpoint, Griffin is a winner. He has a high basketball IQ, is a coach's son who seems to be a gym rat and has the complete respect of the AAU and local high school community to the point where other kids want to play with him. Griffin might not be as big as his listed height of 6-10, but his family is closely tied to OU (his brother is a junior on the team), and those factors might encourage him to hang around for a couple of extra years to help Jeff Caple build a winner in Norman. In all fairness to Griffin, he continues to improve in leaps and bounds, so much so that he might be too good for NBA guys to pass up, and his stay in Norman might be shorter than expected. His signing, however, restarted Oklahoma's engine with in-state recruits.

Jai Lucas, 5-11, 150 lbs., Florida
Lucas is the prototype of a program changer … or in this case, a program maintainer. At 5-11 ( maybe smaller) and 150 pounds (soaking wet), Lucas looks more like a walk-on than a dynamic college talent, and that is perfect. At this stage of his career, Lucas is just as good a shooter as and a better pure point guard than his older brother John. Lucas makes everyone on his team better. He has a ridiculous basketball IQ, and his outgoing personality, coupled with his style of play, makes Florida a destination of choice for star wings and post players who want to play fast, get the ball and win games for the next four years. It also should be noted that Lucas might be the best recruiting player in college hoops, since his father works out high school, college and NBA stars in Houston, giving Jai many opportunities to preach the gospel of Billy Donovan.

ncb_a_patterson_275.jpg

AP Photo/James Crisp

Freshman Patrick Patterson impressed the Kentucky faithful in front of a packed Rupp Arena for the Big Blue Madness.

Patrick Patterson, 6-9, 219 lbs., Kentucky
Patterson nearly tied himself to Lucas in a package deal, but instead he headed to bluegrass country, and Big Blue Nation will forever be pleased. Patterson is undersized and probably underweight for the next level with his current skill set, but he is a beast on the boards, and his ferocious intensity will have Billy Clyde smiling his way to the Sweet 16 and beyond for the next several years. While Patterson should eventually become a pro, it might take three or four years for the NBA to buy in, and during that time, he will change the demeanor of SEC rebounding for the better. His signing instantly energized Kentucky recruiting, which was -- more than anything else -- the sore spot in the 10-year Tubby Smith era.

Jonny Flynn, 6-0, 172 lbs., Syracuse
A consummate winner in high school, Flynn will forever change the games of Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Donte Greene and Antonio "Scoop" Jardin. Flynn is a 6-foot prototype point guard who has won a New York Federation title, was named New York's Mr. Basketball and was arguably the most impressive member USA Basketball's Under-19 silver-medal team from this summer. The good news for Cuse fans is that Flynn is the son of a reverend and said to be a terrific student, so the dollars and allure of the NBA might not take him out of the college game as early as others in a similar position. Expect Syracuse to be the surprise team from the Big East, and Flynn's play will be a big reason why. It also should be noted that while Harris' disappointing first season might have hurt momentum in upstate New York recruiting, Flynn allows Jimmy B. to flex his New York muscle and take his pick from future Buffalo stars.

ncb_flynn_195.jpg

USA Basketball

Jonny Flynn is a proven winner who will make the Syracuse Orange an exciting team for years to come.

James Harden, 6-5, 210 lbs., Arizona State
Harden might be a bit smaller than 6-5 and might still have to put some muscle onto his supremely athletic frame. But while most of America has heard of the great Eric Gordon at Indiana, Harden is just a notch below Gordon in terms of stature heading into college. Harden, L.A.'s best off-guard will -- in a Jeff Green sort of way -- learn the complete game of basketball from Herb Sendek while starting from Day One in Tempe. Harden also opens Los Angeles for the Sun Devils. This is big in recruiting and perception, and he is similar to Julius Hodge at NC State in his impact on Sendek's current program.

Doug Gottlieb is a college basketball analyst for ESPN and host of "The Pulse" on ESPN Radio.

[h1] [/h1]

Miami (fl) goes down for the first time this year.. not really a surprise, Winthrop is solid again this year and Miami is overrated a bit. Don't besurprised if WVU drops out of the top 25 after today too, if oklahoma decides to get it together.

Back
Top Bottom