The College Basketball Post

Huntington prep also played their point guard at the bottom of their 1-3-1 zone which I found strange.

Pretty typical for the 1-3-1 actually. Belein does it and has since where ever he first started (Canisius). We also ran it that way in HS. The idea is that the PG is not there to guard the rim, but be able to cover the baseline and get out to shooters in the corner. Not many wings are quick enough to get there and also more likely to get caught up in traffic.

Last edited:
Brandon Paul has as much of a right to early POY honors as anyone.

This start by John Groce :smokin

Just got done watching my squad really shocked we went to gonzaga and won b Paul was balling good start to the year

airball-freethrow-o.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

^That is absolutely unbelievable!

Tom Crean was in the building today to see PVI sophomore marcus derrickson, pretty impressive kid. Someone also mentioned Thad Matta was in the building...I guess to see Wiggins??

Etherington Undergoes Season Ending Surgery

Indiana University sophomore men’s basketball player Austin Etherington underwent surgery in Indianapolis this morning to repair a fractured patella he suffered in his left leg during the Hoosiers’ game last night against Central Connecticut State University. He will not return to action this season. The surgery was performed by Dr. Steve Ahlfeld.

Last edited:
my nephew wiggins playing live agains Aquille Carr.

http://dmvelite.com/dmvelite-streaming-video

I know me and pretty much any basketball scout is beating this wigigns like a dead horse.

but the velocity that he does that hard right spin move is crazy, he was doing that up here as well he just covers way more ground he spins so much faster. :x

Last edited:
:pimp:  better then moser already and thats saying something
:pimp:  better then moser already and thats saying something

My son is too real. I worry about him staying healthy has had health problems his whole career been plagued with back problems even in high school.

I have no idea how Birch, Moser and Bennett are all going to co exist on the court

IA maple leaf shaped single tear will roll down my eye if I witness a canadian with freshman of the year.

Last edited:
I don't think Moser going down today was the worst thing (well, unless it means more Carlos Lopez)..they just have too many guys. Anthony Marshall playing PG full time is probably going to do them in above anything. :smh:

But, I haven't seen a FR play that well. Smart had his run in Puerto Rico, but he's nowhere near the talent Bennett is. That steal and finish in the 1st half and the baseline drive in the 2nd. :x

Kentucky wasn't doing too hot, but what can ya expect from all Freshman? It had to happen sometime, being kicked out of the top 25 was harsh.
Theyll be alrite..we won last year..will make it to atleast the elite 8 this year and will win it all next year..theyll be alrite

During college hoops season, Jay Bilas and Chad Ford will start the week off by addressing a big question, evaluating NBA prospects on the rise and looking ahead to the next week.

The discussion: Who is the nation's top point guard?
Jay Bilas: This not a stellar year for point guards, but there are several point guards out there who can play. If I am considering a long-term prospect, and which point guard will best take me into the future, I don't see a Chris Paul or Deron Williams in this year's crop. But there is one I believe could be the best of the bunch in time, Syracuse point guard Michael Carter-Williams. He is very good now, as best evidenced by his assist numbers, but Carter-Williams also has the most potential to grow as a player and become truly special.

However, if I have to select a point guard for right now, one who can step in and lead my college team today, other candidates at the top of my list would be Louisville's Peyton Siva, South Dakota State's Nate Wolters and Michigan's Trey Burke.

I made the case for Carter-Williams last week, so I won't repeat it. Siva works best in an up-tempo, full-court game and has been excellent in big games. Against Missouri, Duke, Illinois State and at Charleston, Siva averaged 16 points and three steals per game while shooting more than 50 percent from the field. Wolters is the best scorer and shooter of the bunch, and reminds me a bit of Steve Nash with the way he keeps his dribble and controls the ball. Wolters averages 20.4 points, 6.0 rebounds, 6.1 assists, 2.4 steals and shoots 49 percent from the floor.

Even though those three are terrific players and would be worthy choices, I am going with Burke as the top point guard in the country right now. It's not that he has made some crazy jump in numbers or productivity from last season, but his overall floor game and leadership are at another level entirely. Burke is in total control out there, and playing with better pace. Last season, he was in charge of the position for the Wolverines. This season, he is leading the Wolverines from the position -- there is a difference.

Michigan has a chance to win it all this season, in part because the Wolverines are really good and in part because the overall landscape of the game is so, well, ordinary. But there is nothing ordinary about Burke. Of course, given how much of a jump young and talented players can make, Burke could get passed up by the end of the season -- or he could extend his lead.

Chad Ford: It depends on what you mean by "best."

If you are talking about the best long-term NBA prospect in the country, that's looking more and more like Syracuse's Carter-Williams.

Carter-Williams not only leads the NCAA in assists, but his assist ratio (the percentage of a player's possessions that end in an assist) is an incredible 39.4. In other words, nearly 40 percent of his possessions end in an assist. He's a hawk on the defensive end as well, averaging 3.8 steals per game (third in the NCAA). He can be a gifted scorer and his size (6-foot-6, 185 pounds) for the position is outstanding.

Carter-Williams has Kendall Marshall-type floor vision with more size, more athleticism and more offense. Given that Marshall was a lottery pick in a stronger draft last year, that bodes really well for Carter-Williams' chances in the 2013 NBA draft. Currently, we have Carter-Williams ranked as the top point guard prospect on our Big Board and have him ranked overall as a top-10 pick. If he ever finds his shooting stroke, he could end up in the top five on draft night.

Mark Konezny/US Presswire
Carter-Williams averages 10.4 assists and 3.8 steals per game for the undefeated Orange.
As far as NBA point guard prospects go, his closest competition is Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart, Lehigh's C.J. McCollum and Arkansas' BJ Young -- but all three of those players are really scoring guards who can play the point when called upon. All three could be lottery picks in June, but Carter-Williams is far and away the best pure point guard in the draft.

If you are talking about the best floor leader in college basketball right now, I still lean toward Carter-Williams. The Orange are undefeated and Carter-Williams' strong play has earned him the spot as the best point guard in college basketball.

Carter-Williams' competition changes a bit when viewed in this context, however. Michigan's Burke, Virginia Tech's Erick Green and South Dakota State's Wolters are all worthy of consideration.

Burke is also the floor general for an undefeated team. He has almost doubled his assist-to-turnover ratio this season (to nearly 3-1) while improving his shooting percentages across the board. Burke is more of a late-first-round NBA prospect because of his lack of ideal size (6-0, 190), but as far as college point guards, he's as important to his team as any point guard in the country.

Green may be having the best season of any guard in the nation. He has been considered more of a combo guard throughout his career, but as a senior he's doubled his assists while improving his assist-to-turnover ratio (to 3-1) and is averaging the second-most points per game (24.6) in college basketball. That's tough to do. Green was almost completely off the NBA radar screen coming into this season. Now, scouts are scrambling to get a handle on him and his incredible production this season has certainly put him into the picture as a potential first-round pick.

Wolters doesn't play in a big conference (Summit League), but his huge numbers for the second straight season can't be overlooked. He also has been pegged primarily as a scoring guard, but his 6.1 assists per game and nearly 3-1 assist-to-turnover ratio prove that he's more than just a scorer. While he has the most questionable NBA future of any player on this list, there are few players in the country more valuable to their teams than Wolters.

Prospect on the rise
Bilas: Ben McLemore, G, Kansas Jayhawks

McLemore is a redshirt freshman who sat out last season because of the NCAA's initial eligibility standards. McLemore met the standards, but the NCAA came back to say it didn't like something on his transcript and dinged him for the season. In his first season of competition after a forced year off, McLemore has shown great promise. He is still only 19 years old and he still plays young.

After only eight games, McLemore is averaging 16 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.3 steals. Plus, he is shooting 46 percent from the field and 86 percent from the free throw line. Despite the solid numbers, McLemore has not yet learned how to play -- or how to assert himself consistently throughout the course of a game. He is a smart player with a great demeanor who has a feel for the game, but he doesn't completely "get it" yet. That is to be expected in such a young player, but it is also a bit scary. When McLemore does get it, he will be a truly great player.

McLemore is very athletic and simply glides up and down the floor. He can take off with ease and rise, leaving your jaw on the floor with his effortless and graceful athleticism. As he matures, he will get stronger, look to drive the ball more and counter his outstanding shooting stroke. His efficiency will continue to go up, and he will be a much better player.

[+] Enlarge
Ned Dishman/Getty Images
Freshman Anthony Bennett has shined this season for UNLV.
Ford: Anthony Bennett, F, UNLV Rebels

Coming into the season, we wrote that Bennett had a chance to be a one-and-done lottery pick. His offensive versatility, along with his NBA strength and elite athleticism all seemed to point toward a bright future in the NBA. He also was going to have an opportunity to step in and get major minutes at UNLV as he was the team's best recruit since Larry Johnson.

Early on, we were alone in that opinion. Some scouts questioned if he was a tweener, but that was the only real knock on his game. Few other media outlets had Bennett as a first-round pick in June, let alone a potential lottery pick. But eight games into his freshman season and that has totally changed. He has been the best freshman in college basketball and had a strong coming-out party against Cal on Sunday, scoring 25 points, grabbing 13 rebounds and willing the banged-up Rebels to a tough road victory.

Bennett has been consistently strong so far this season -- he hasn't shot below 50 percent from the field and has yet to play a bad game. In terms of pure NBA talent, he has been the most impressive player in college basketball.

His lack of elite size (6-8, 240) probably will keep him out of the discussion for the No. 1 pick, but in my mind he has been as good or better than any of the players we've mentioned who could be the top pick in the draft.

What to watch for this week
Bilas: This is usually the time of year when most teams pile up some holiday cupcakes while getting through final exams. During the week, teams will be trying not to slip on banana peels. But as we get to Friday, the fun starts. Charlotte, a surprise at 9-0, will travel south to take on a now-healthy Miami Hurricanes team that is unbeaten with Durand Scott back in the lineup. Indiana at Butler (expect the Hoosiers to suffocate Kellen Dunham and Rotnei Clarke), Florida at Arizona (the Gators are better, but Arizona is improving rapidly), Louisville at Memphis (the Tigers made a change at point with Chris Crawford taking over, and Joe Jackson is hunting for his shot off the ball) and Belmont at Kansas (Kerron Johnson and Ian Clark are outstanding, and the Bruins can make things tough on KU) are all good games on Saturday, but I am most looking forward to seeing VCU host Alabama.

[+] Enlarge
Geoff Burke/US Presswire
Shaka Smart's VCU Rams have a tough matchup this week against Alabama.
The Rams have played some good teams to start the season, and if they were a major conference team, many would say they have lost too many games to be so highly regarded. However, when you watch them play, you see why VCU still garners respect. Treveon Graham is a big guard who can shoot the ball, and he plays a complete game. He is averaging 15 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and a steal per game, and is working his way to the free throw line. Juvonte Reddic is second on the team in scoring and leads VCU in rebounding. He has the chance to be a special player before he is done. Troy Daniels is VCU's best shooter, and Alabama cannot afford to help off of him. Also, Briante Weber is one of the great "pests" in college basketball; show him the ball, and he will take it from you. Alabama will have to keep its poise against VCU and execute without being sped up too much. This game will be fun to watch.

Ford: There's a drought of top games until Saturday, when there are a bunch of great matchups to watch. In particular, I'm really looking forward to Indiana-Butler, Louisville-Memphis and Florida-Arizona.

I was really impressed with how Butler played in Maui, and while the Bulldogs are clearly overmatched here, Brad Stevens has a well-deserved reputation as a giant killer and I think it's conceivable that Butler could pull the upset. When the Bulldogs shoot the ball well, they are tough.

I haven't had a chance to watch Memphis play this season. NBA scouts have been pretty down on Adonis Thomas of late, but there has been growing buzz about junior-college transfer and combo-guard Geron Johnson. He's super athletic and can play both backcourt positions. Johnson has a bit of a checkered past, but has kept his nose clean of late and looks like a potential sleeper in the draft.

Finally, I'm really interested to see if the Gators are as good as I think they are. I've consistently rated them higher than most of my colleagues in the ESPN Power Rankings and feel like this could be a statement game for Florida. The Gators ran Florida State out of the building last week. A huge win against Arizona this week could give them a legit claim as a top-four team in the country

idk if butler has a chance this weekend. i wont ever doubt them, they've been one of the best teams in the state the past couple years, but we wasnt this good last season and we handled them pretty well. Still, looking forward to the game though.

Back
Top Bottom