The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I really don't buy that ACC at the top is better than the Big East at the top..

go ahead and match up the 6 teams.
I don't buy that either.. but i don't believe the big east or acc is that much tougher than nearly any other conference this year, top to bottom. Take away Iowa and Indiana and you've got 9 really solid to good teams in the big ten. The bottom five in the big east are all fairly pathetic, so you get 11 good teams there. ACC is strong except for the bottom 3 (maybe 4 if MD doesn't get it together), so they've got 9. Big XII is fairly strong in their top 9.

Only conference I don't really buy at this point is Pac-10, but the numbers say they are the 2nd best conference in the country so they must be better than I give them credit for - with only the Oregon schools and Wazzu having bad numbers.

It feels like a much more balanced year around the country this year to me.
But see, i feel as though people fail to realize that in a league such as the BIG EAST, the bottom half more often that not, is as good if notbetter than the middle tier teams of other conferences. I mean somebody has to lose and unfortunately, it will be the Rutgers and Seton Halls. I whollybelieve, however, that these "pathetic" Big East teams would perform exceptionally well, relative to their current performance levels, were they tocompete in other leagues like the Pac-10 of Big-12.

I mean just look at the preseason stats. Some of the weaker teams from the Big East put up solid performances and wins over prominent programs in otherleagues. Furthermore, consider that some of the weaklings often times "upset" supposedly elite programs within the league. That alone should convinceyou of the potential of these teams. I honestly believe that the weaklings of the Big East could easily top their counterparts from the other leagues.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I really don't buy that ACC at the top is better than the Big East at the top..

go ahead and match up the 6 teams.
I don't buy that either.. but i don't believe the big east or acc is that much tougher than nearly any other conference this year, top to bottom. Take away Iowa and Indiana and you've got 9 really solid to good teams in the big ten. The bottom five in the big east are all fairly pathetic, so you get 11 good teams there. ACC is strong except for the bottom 3 (maybe 4 if MD doesn't get it together), so they've got 9. Big XII is fairly strong in their top 9.

Only conference I don't really buy at this point is Pac-10, but the numbers say they are the 2nd best conference in the country so they must be better than I give them credit for - with only the Oregon schools and Wazzu having bad numbers.

It feels like a much more balanced year around the country this year to me.
But see, i feel as though people fail to realize that in a league such as the BIG EAST, the bottom half more often that not, is as good if notbetter than the middle tier teams of other conferences. I mean somebody has to lose and unfortunately, it will be the Rutgers and Seton Halls. I whollybelieve, however, that these "pathetic" Big East teams would perform exceptionally well, relative to their current performance levels, were they tocompete in other leagues like the Pac-10 of Big-12.

I mean just look at the preseason stats. Some of the weaker teams from the Big East put up solid performances and wins over prominent programs in otherleagues. Furthermore, consider that some of the weaklings often times "upset" supposedly elite programs within the league. That alone should convinceyou of the potential of these teams. I honestly believe that the weaklings of the Big East could easily top their counterparts from the other leagues.

Orange, Hoyas feel the bracket pain

Thursday, January 29, 2009 http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3868895&type=blogEntry

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Editor's note: Bracketologist Joe Lunardi reacts to another crazy night in the college hoops world.

The next edition of Bracketology isn't until Monday, Feb. 2, so I don't really have to think about what it means that projected No. 1 seeds Duke andPitt lost Wednesday night. Much can -- and will -- change between now and then.

The real movement is a little further down the bracket:

• The situation in Syracuse continues to unravel following an epic loss atProvidence. The Orange are losing players and games at a similar rate. Worse, they are 1-4 in a 10-game Big East "death march" with no end insight. Even at 2-3 in the next five, we're looking at a .500 conference team and a firm spot on the NCAA bubble. We have seen this movie before, and itdoesn't end well.

• Things are even more inexplicable in the nation's capital, whereGeorgetown -- without losing any players -- has lost four in a row and six of eight. The last two (at Seton Hall and at Cincinnati) are especially hard toswallow for a team we were calling a No. 2 seed as recently as Jan. 5. With their upcoming schedule, I don't think the Hoyas are going to miss the NCAAtournament, but a spot in the middle of the bracket is far below expectations.

• Now you know where I was coming from in picking against Tennessee in the SEC. The Vols still can't get big stops when it matters and lost for the third time in their last four home games to an LSU team which had playedonly four prior road games. The Vols need to find a way to beat Florida in Saturday's prime-time game, or they'll drop to the bottom half of thebracket.

• Despite the early wins over UCLA and Duke, Michigan may be in trouble. TheWolverines have dropped to 4-5 in the Big Ten and have lost four of their last five. Worse, if Michigan can't find a way to win Saturday at Purdue, anextended stay in the bracket will have come to an end.

• What's the best cure for a four-game losing streak? Back-to-back-to-back road games at Pitt, resurgent Cincinnati and UCLA are not what you would callthe perfect prescription. Yet, this is what faces a reeling Notre Dame teamwhose only road wins are at No. 312 Loyola Marymount and DePaul (0-8 Big East). The Irish are going to need a frantic February to undo the last threeweeks.

• Late tonight, pay close attention to the matchup in Spokane between Gonzaga and Saint Mary's (ESPN2, 11 p.m. ET). The highly-regardedGaels have yet to play a top 50 opponent.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3868895&type=blogEntry

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Editor's note: Bracketologist Joe Lunardi reacts to another crazy night in the college hoops world.

The next edition of Bracketology isn't until Monday, Feb. 2, so I don't really have to think about what it means that projected No. 1 seeds Duke andPitt lost Wednesday night. Much can -- and will -- change between now and then.

• The situation in Syracuse continues to unravel following an epic loss atProvidence. The Orange are losing players and games at a similar rate. Worse, they are 1-4 in a 10-game Big East "death march" with no end insight. Even at 2-3 in the next five, we're looking at a .500 conference team and a firm spot on the NCAA bubble. We have seen this movie before, and itdoesn't end well.

• Things are even more inexplicable in the nation's capital, whereGeorgetown -- without losing any players -- has lost four in a row and six of eight. The last two (at Seton Hall and at Cincinnati) are especially hard toswallow for a team we were calling a No. 2 seed as recently as Jan. 5. With their upcoming schedule, I don't think the Hoyas are going to miss the NCAAtournament, but a spot in the middle of the bracket is far below expectations.

• Now you know where I was coming from in picking against Tennessee in the SEC. The Vols still can't get big stops when it matters and lost for the third time in their last four home games to an LSU team which had playedonly four prior road games. The Vols need to find a way to beat Florida in Saturday's prime-time game, or they'll drop to the bottom half of thebracket.

• Despite the early wins over UCLA and Duke, Michigan may be in trouble. TheWolverines have dropped to 4-5 in the Big Ten and have lost four of their last five. Worse, if Michigan can't find a way to win Saturday at Purdue, anextended stay in the bracket will have come to an end.

• What's the best cure for a four-game losing streak? Back-to-back-to-back road games at Pitt, resurgent Cincinnati and UCLA are not what you would callthe perfect prescription. Yet, this is what faces a reeling Notre Dame teamwhose only road wins are at No. 312 Loyola Marymount and DePaul (0-8 Big East). The Irish are going to need a frantic February to undo the last threeweeks.

• Late tonight, pay close attention to the matchup in Spokane between Gonzaga and Saint Mary's (ESPN2, 11 p.m. ET). The highly-regardedGaels have yet to play a top 50 opponent.

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Posted by Joe Lunardi

Amazing what us and Cuse have done after that match up.

I just wana get in the dance at this point.

On DaJuan

"Being honest right now," Thompson said, "it doesn't look good for him being able to go on Saturday."

And could be out more than 1 game.

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

could be a blessing in disguise tho. Hopefully Sims gets to start.

On DaJuan

"Being honest right now," Thompson said, "it doesn't look good for him being able to go on Saturday."

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

On DaJuan

When it rains, it pours
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom