The College Basketball Post

SEC Awards:

Player of the Year- Portis
Freshman of the year- Towns
Defensive Player of the Year- WCS
Sixth Man of the year- Booker
Coach of the year- Cal

Worked out about as I expected.

If you had to give a one-word answer for why the North Carolina basketball program has fallen so far, what would your answer be?

If you had to give a one-word answer for why the North Carolina basketball program has fallen so far, what would your answer be?

How far has it really fell? He hasn't landed to elite, blue-chip guys. That's the only issue. Don't think it's really a deep problem. Duke has landed Kyrie, Jabari and Jahlil over recent years. UNC's biggest recruit over the past few years has been Harrison Barnes. I don't think that Roy Williams is an elite coach, who's going to string together NCs or FFs without a few NBA guys on his roster.

Duke fans were just panicking a few years back and the reality was the same for them. Land those elite guys and it makes it easier. Roy has proven that. Not sure why he's missing on the top guys now.

Last edited:
It hasn't fallen that far :lol:

Roy's UNC teams have been peaks & valleys since He's been there, they'll be top 5 again soon enough

How far has it really fell? He hasn't landed to elite, blue-chip guys. That's the only issue. Don't think it's really a deep problem. Duke has landed Kyrie, Jabari and Jahlil over recent years. UNC's biggest recruit over the past few years has been Harrison Barnes. I don't think that Roy Williams is an elite coach, who's going to string together NCs or FFs without a few NBA guys on his roster.

Duke fans were just panicking a few years back and the reality was the same for them. Land those elite guys and it makes it easier. Roy has proven that. Not sure why he's missing on the top guys now.
That was the questions, boss.

Kyrie played 5 games, Jabari lost to Mercer in the tourney, and this year hasn't finished. Not sure your point. 

Team USA plug saved duke 

That was the questions, boss.

Kyrie played 5 games, Jabari lost to Mercer in the tourney, and this year hasn't finished. Not sure your point. 
The question was why the program fell so hard. Not why he's not getting the top guys.

My point is that the perceived "success" is definitely clouded by the NBA success or guys who have made it to the L as top picks, or have achieved success. They've still made F4s and Elite 8s since the 09 title. 

2010-11: No. 2 seed
2011-12: No. 4 seed
2012-13: No. 8 seed
Last year: No. 6 seed

Who have they beaten this year of merit? I know all about the close games they've been in. Who have they beaten?

I believe the perception of the program has changed, and the perception of Roy Williams has changed. On and off the court. The McCants-Felton-S.May team in 2005 carried over the next few years and kept the brand and program relevant in the eyes of top recruits. The Lawson-Ellington 2009 team that won the title renewed that relevance, and the result? Six months later, both James Michael McAdoo (the No. 8 recruit in the country) and Harrison Barnes (the No. 1 recruit in the country) commit to North Carolina.

But what's happened since?

It's partially getting the top-flight recruits, and it's partially leveraging the flawed star-system in your favor -- using it to find undervalued commodities when the brain naturally tells you based on stars -- purposefully or not -- who is relevant and who is not. Not to mention they'll say "oh we don't get caught up in the stars and all of that" and then six months later will tout a class with "the most ____-star recruits in the past decade!"

Roy hasn't found the diamonds or the diamonds in the rough and H.S. aged kids are taking notice.

In fairness, They were a 1 in 2012 and if Kendall doesn't get injured, they likely play in (and possibly win) the title game.

I would bet on them having a Top 5-10 team next year.

How in theee hell did Ryan Arch get CO-POY honors? Hilliard, Ochefu, Pinkston are all better on his own team. :lol:

Honestly I just think it's bad luck.

They had some highly touted recruits not perform as expected. (James Mcadoo)
They got early commit from guys who's development platued in HS. (Theo Pinson)
They had a recruit who couldn't act right long enough to be a great college bball player. (PJ Hariston)

Thats just the way goes, you make a couple recruiting mistake and it results in 3 down years.

If UNC gets Jaylen Brown, all of this will be forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom