The Chronic's impact on hip hop...

You guys do realize that when people say X > Y, the vast majority of the time, it's strictly taking the quality of the music into account, right? No one's disputing Chronic's impact on the game, nor is anyone saying 2001's impact is greater than that of the Chronic. No one. If impact's so important to some of you, your top three's better be NWA, Rakim, and Afrika Bambaataa, or something's amiss.

The Chronic is FUNKY! It has so much soul and character if you ask me. I love Doggystyle and used to prefer it to The Chronic, but as I've gotten older I've come to prefer The Chronic.

When it comes to The Chronic vs. 2001, I feel like if you weren't at least a teenager when The Chronic dropped, you can't really grasp the full scope of how important that album was at the time. The music on both is good, but the impact and importance of The Chronic will forever keep it above 2001 for me. And the music is better.
When I'm comparing the two musically, I can't look at how important one was to a specific era. The Day the ****** took Over is my favorite track off the Chronic, and truthfully it's the only song that deals with a hot issue during that time period. Not saying the Chronic is trash by any means, but I do think it's front loaded and I do think 2001 is better.
I was talking specifically about the music, which is what this thread is about I thought.  If you're looking to a Dr. Dre album for social commentary, you're doing it wrong.  I'm positive that nobody bought and album named after weed to hear Dre speak on society's ills.  
laugh.gif

2001 had little to no impact on hip-hop, besides giving us a much anticipated followup to a classic album.  Folks knew about NWA, but Dre pushed the West Coast and "gangsta rap" to the forefront of the mainstream with The Chronic.  We all knew who Parliament/Funkadelic were and we all knew hip-hop used samples, but Dre helped craft a new, fresh sound in hip-hop (G-Funk anyone?).  2001 didn't do that.  Nobody knew who Snoop was.  The Chronic was his coming out party.  Same with the Dogg Pound.  And those dudes went on to put out GREAT albums.  Who did 2001 give us?  Hittman?  Knoc-Turn'al?   
laugh.gif

The Chronic was the start of Death Row's reign, which gave us CLASSICS all in that same era.  2001 was on Aftermath--at the time, what was that label doing?  

That's the impact I'm talking about.  And that's all MUSICAL impact.  

I was talking specifically about the music, which is what this thread is about I thought.  If you're looking to a Dr. Dre album for social commentary, you're doing it wrong.  I'm positive that nobody bought and album named after weed to hear Dre speak on society's ills.  :lol:

2001 had little to no impact on hip-hop, besides giving us a much anticipated followup to a classic album.  Folks knew about NWA, but Dre pushed the West Coast and "gangsta rap" to the forefront of the mainstream with The Chronic.  We all knew who Parliament/Funkadelic were and we all knew hip-hop used samples, but Dre helped craft a new, fresh sound in hip-hop (G-Funk anyone?).  2001 didn't do that.  Nobody knew who Snoop was.  The Chronic was his coming out party.  Same with the Dogg Pound.  And those dudes went on to put out GREAT albums.  Who did 2001 give us?  Hittman?  Knoc-Turn'al?   :lol:

The Chronic was the start of Death Row's reign, which gave us CLASSICS all in that same era.  2001 was on Aftermath--at the time, what was that label doing?  

Thanks for the history lesson, but you obviously comprehended little of what I said. I don't care about what happened historically before or after the Chronic released when I'm comparing it to 2001. If I have to pick one to place in my CD player, etc, I'll take 2001 every day. Now, do I understand what The Chronic did for the West Coast, yes. Do I still think 2001 is a better album, yes.

laugh.gif

Look at the thread title.  And then look at your responses.  You're giving your opinion on which you prefer.  I'm telling you why The Chronic has had a huge impact on hip-hop, and anyone with any sense will echo my sentiments.  In short, I'm stating fact.  You're giving an opinion that wasn't really asked for in the thread.    

Leave it to NT to make it into a ____ vs. ____ thread.  Should've known better.  
mean.gif

Btw, 2001 is a great record.  I still love it.  But that opinion has nothing to do with its impact.   

Just saw somewhere that The Cronic came out 21 years ago today.

Some nice :pimp: and a proper listening are in order!

That last half of 2001> chronic

I can't even begin to remotely understand how you could possibly believe that. :x

2001 was very good, and, for its time, great. but it had a number of misses (the bulk of which were in the latter half of the album) and it should not for any reason ever be brought up in a discussion about The Chronic other than to say it was "Dre's release after The Chronic".

but yo, we like what we like.
--

to OP, yes. top 3 in Hip-Hop. the producer's illmatic.

:lol:

Look at the thread title.  And then look at your responses.  You're giving your opinion on which you prefer.  I'm telling you why The Chronic has had a huge impact on hip-hop, and anyone with any sense will echo my sentiments.  In short, I'm stating fact.  You're giving an opinion that wasn't really asked for in the thread.    

Leave it to NT to make it into a ____ vs. ____ thread.  Should've known better.  :smh:

Btw, 2001 is a great record.  I still love it.  But that opinion has nothing to do with its impact.   

My first post in this thread acknowledged my respect for the influence the album has had. Forgive me for opening the floor for a discussion in a forum on a difference of my opinion.

To me the second half of 2001 drops off. After The Next Episode the only songs listen to are B**** _'z, Housewife, Bang Bang and The Message. And I still think it has too many skits, still a great album though. The Chronic stayed on the same track all the way through. Snoop, Kurupt, Rage and RBX killed the second half.

I don't think you have to be in your 30's to understand the impact of The Chronic. If you were born in the late 80's you should know. I remember hearing that **** everywhere in the city.

To me the second half of 2001 drops off. After The Next Episode the only songs listen to are B**** _'z, Housewife, Bang Bang and The Message. And I still think it has too many skits, still a great album though. The Chronic stayed on the same track all the way through. Snoop, Kurupt, Rage and RBX killed the second half.

I don't think you have to be in your 30's to understand the impact of The Chronic. If you were born in the late 80's you should know. I remember hearing that **** everywhere in the city.

I'm probably the only person who likes Some L. A. ****** smh.

My first post in this thread acknowledged my respect for the influence the album has had. Forgive me for opening the floor for a discussion in a forum on a difference of my opinion.

:lol:

dude said leave it to NT

dude just because you OP doesn't mean

you own the discussions. we can discuss whateeeever

comes up just like in any other thread.

^^ It's aight. I always thought Dre shoulda had Ice cube on there. Just Ren, Cube and Kokane woulda been hard.

Last edited:

I'm probably the only person who likes Some L. A. ****** smh.

I like it but yeah Cube on there would've been great

I prefer Doggystyle myself but The Chronic def shifted the power from East to West for that era.

I was talking specifically about the music, which is what this thread is about I thought.  If you're looking to a Dr. Dre album for social commentary, you're doing it wrong.  I'm positive that nobody bought and album named after weed to hear Dre speak on society's ills.  
laugh.gif

2001 had little to no impact on hip-hop, besides giving us a much anticipated followup to a classic album.  Folks knew about NWA, but Dre pushed the West Coast and "gangsta rap" to the forefront of the mainstream with The Chronic.  We all knew who Parliament/Funkadelic were and we all knew hip-hop used samples, but Dre helped craft a new, fresh sound in hip-hop (G-Funk anyone?).  2001 didn't do that.  Nobody knew who Snoop was.  The Chronic was his coming out party.  Same with the Dogg Pound.  And those dudes went on to put out GREAT albums.  Who did 2001 give us?  Hittman?  Knoc-Turn'al?   
laugh.gif

I agree with all of this. 

The Chronic played like a movie to me, I never heard an album prior to The Chronic that was so creative. Dre put maximum effort into every beat, all the little details...
mean.gif

It was that creative. I can play this album today in 2013, and it knocks like it did in 92. 

That's timeless music like someone mentioned before.

Nothin but a G thang? You hear the beat...what Dre did was crazy by incorporating all those different elements to make a hip hop album.

Beats on the album still bang. 

Last edited:
I can't even begin to remotely understand how you could possibly believe that.
sick.gif

2001 was very good, and, for its time, great. but it had a number of misses (the bulk of which were in the latter half of the album) and it should not for any reason ever be brought up in a discussion about The Chronic other than to say it was "Dre's release after The Chronic".

but yo, we like what we like.
--

to OP, yes. top 3 in Hip-Hop. the producer's illmatic.
I don't understand it either. The other day was the first time I heard someone say 2001 is better than The Chronic. 

Last edited:
There's a lot of factors that could be thrown out how 2001 is favored. More radio play for numerous songs on 2001, y2k passed through and everyone was on their parlay mode and east west funk died out. Jay-z was even on a track with dre on 2001.
Both albums are in my top 7 by the way.

Agreed...a good version on good headphones is :wow: .

Top 10 for me...but I was raised in SoCal, so Nuthin' But A "G" Thang, **** Wit Dre Day, and Let Me Ride was required listening back in the day.

right, like I know hella singles from the album but the ALBUM itself? :lol: Nah....

Spotify! Stop trippin'! I wonder if it's on google play....

Back
Top Bottom